Sponsored

$15,000 for racing and rocker stripes in St Louis?!?!?

SUPR_VILN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Prem
Holy shit, yea i thought it would just be a typo since mine from rear bumper down to front splitter was 1,500. I wonder how much business they get?
Sponsored

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
That’s insane. I did stripes on my S197. It was a precut kit from the vinyl shoppe. Cost $110. The rocker stripes were $50. Self install. Not that bad and never worked vinyl before. I’m sure you can find a shop to install for $300-500. Do that. Most places will let you pick your colors too.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
+1 on sounds like they don't want the job. But there might be more to it.

I asked about full length stripes at a high end body shop and was quoted a little over $4k. So I passed.

Much later some member here posted about getting it done for $1,200 so I went back to shop that quoted over $4k and said they could do that for $1,250. Turns out the original quote was for the stripes being absolutely flush height with the rest of the paint which meant removing all paint for much wider than the stripes and reapplying body color and stripes. The $1250 was for just roughing up the clear instead of taking everything down to metal, painting the stripes on and clearing over all effected areas. So the stripe would be slightly raised compared to the base paint and even with the clear flowing over it all, you could still feel the boundary. Not anywhere near as much as vinyl since the stripe paint is much thinner than vinyl plus the clear would flow and be slightly thicker nearest the stripe.

I'm going to have it done when the time is right.

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
Yeah bro you ought to take it a step further and start spreading the word and start righting some reviews. That is beyond ridiculous and I am glad you at least spotted it to think some people will never notice that.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
You did tell them you already have the car and only needed the stripes done, right?

Sponsored

OP
OP
foqus

foqus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1963 Volkswagen Beetle, 2018 Mustang GT
Heh...yea, they know I have the car, and that it's white. So I just emailed them back and said that I could not care less about the stripes being flush with the original paint, and I also just wanted paint like the attached Rebel image, except with no hood paint nor the blue lower body. Just a red (and maybe matching blue) stripe down the sides, and then red, white (just black outline) and blue over the trunk. We'll see what they say.

Thanks for all the inputs and suggestions.

marco
amc rebel.jpg

jimmybuffit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 50th Year
I do vinyl wraps and you can get really high quality film in the exact shades of red and blue in any finish. Not only that, but you can have the whole car wrapped in paint protection film "clear bra" after the stripes are on for WAY less than 15k. for example;

Paint correction detail
Install custom red and blue stripes
wrap bumper, hood, roof, trunk, rear bumper in Xpel/3M/suntek
Apply ceramic coating on entire car CeramicPro/C quarts

There's no way you wouldn't be blown away with this combo. And you would still be under 15k. Do the research and good luck. Post pics whatever you do, love the idea!

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
I am with [MENTION=32548]ctandc72[/MENTION] $15k for quality painted stripes doesn't sound thattttt crazy. Yes its high, but you have to think, to do well done painted stripes they would have to carefully remove the paint in just the stripe lines, on every piece (in every nook&crannies - explains the splitter comment from them) you want painted, including the nooks and crannies. I gotta imagine that prep is close to (or exceeding) $3000 (30hrs?) just in labor. Then they have to base coat and paint the stripes(est. $3k?)). Then they have to make sure the stripes have a clean line (ie: color change interface) with the factory white. Then they will have to clear coat it all. I would imagine if its a high end shop that a quality paint job would also consist of making sure the paint is of even thickness so that it is as indistinguishable from the factory paint. Also the quote has to factory slightly for them having to redo anything that they may mess up but with something that sounds this tough they may be factoring extra. Yes $15k seems high but in the scheme of things it by no means seems outrageous. Sounds like the lower prices (<$2k) you have seen were for a Mako paint job or something. I just know I asked for a quote on a simple exterior repaint from a decent quality shop on my first car which was old with bad paint, thinking its not that hard to spray-paint a car (this was before I knew the difference between rattle-can spray and the professional sprayers) and was dumbfounded when they quoted me over $6k to paint the car that cost me $2500 haha.

Bottom line this was a high end custom paint job and not just vinyl stripes OP got a quote for. Personally I am not in a financial position to create a one-of-a-kind collectible quality car that this type of work would result in so I would just stick to Vinyl stripes if it were me. Please update after you decide what to do [MENTION=31098]foqus[/MENTION]. I do have a great appreciation for top tier custom cars.

socal2fast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The Guy that did mine here in California starts his stripe Jobs at $1500.

Here did a lot more there just stripes on mine:ford:

Sponsored

AMChief5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chief
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT Premium w/ PP
That's a cool idea and admire you for being patriotic but absolutely NOT worth $15k. Agree with vinyl or just wrapping the entire car. Have you considered wrapping in like a matte/satin white and running the same stripe color scheme?

AMChief5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chief
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT Premium w/ PP
I do vinyl wraps and you can get really high quality film in the exact shades of red and blue in any finish. Not only that, but you can have the whole car wrapped in paint protection film "clear bra" after the stripes are on for WAY less than 15k. for example;

Paint correction detail
Install custom red and blue stripes
wrap bumper, hood, roof, trunk, rear bumper in Xpel/3M/suntek
Apply ceramic coating on entire car CeramicPro/C quarts

There's no way you wouldn't be blown away with this combo. And you would still be under 15k. Do the research and good luck. Post pics whatever you do, love the idea!
This:clap2:

TheycallmeCC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost, 3m Gloss Storm Grey

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Yes paint is by fair the best way to go over vinyl
I'm going with paint, but I can understand why vinyl is better for some people who want to be able to change or remove later or for budgetary reasons.
Sponsored