Sponsored

1100 HP EcoBoost Project in Hot Rod - Ken Duttweiler

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Just received this months Hot Rod mag. Ken Duttweiler is starting a project to get 1100 from the 2.3. Crazy.

image.jpg

Ken Duttweiler Hops Up the New Ford Mustang’s Direct-Injected 2.3L

duttweiler-ford-engine-dyno-video.jpg

Ken Duttweiler has been building and modifying engines for more than 60 years. The builder of the world’s fastest internal combustion-powered land-speed-record car is now applying his expertise developing the new Mustang 2.3L, turbocharged, direct-injection, EcoBoost four-cylinder motor. But don’t think of this as a four-banger, think of it as a testing bed for all sorts of future direct-injection tech. “Our goal is big horsepower—over 1,100 in race trim—but we’ve got to take baby steps first,” Duttweiler says. “Like it or not, this is the future of performance. More than 60 percent of the Mustangs sold in southern California have the 2.3L engine.”

First steps are getting the engine to run with Ford’s existing electronics, then figuring out how to tune the factory ECU. After that, “we’ll hop up the existing production-based engine with a series of progressively larger turbos and aftermarket cams.” At some point, “we’ll move to aftermarket direct-injection engine-management systems currently under development. Ford Racing will also have a racing block and heads.” HOT ROD plans to follow along as development proceeds. Stay tuned for future updates.

duttweiler-ford-engine.jpg

Ken Duttweiler has got the 2016 Mustang EcoBoost motor up and running on his dyno as of March 2016. The engine has balance shafts; you’d hardly know it was just a four. His dyno rig’s standard intercooler is up front. HOT ROD Readers are used to seeing V8s here, but Duttweiler has high hopes for Ford’s latest high-tech marvel.

duttweiler-ford-controll-harness.jpg

On a production car, the engine control unit (ECU) interfaces with the body control computer and various antitheft features, making it pretty hard to run as a standalone unit. Fortunately, Ford Racing sells an ECU and harness for its 2.0L standalone crate engine, and that’s what Duttweiler has adapted to the 2.3L. Note the electric accelerator pedal mounted at upper right that’s included in the Ford kit; it’s required to get the motor to run, even on the dyno.

duttweiler-ford-larger-turbo.jpg

The first mod waiting in the wings is this larger Borg-Warner turbo. Duttweiler’s already built an adapter to bolt it onto the 2.3L’s integrated cylinder head/exhaust manifold assembly.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine...p-the-new-ford-mustangs-direct-injected-2-3l/
Sponsored

JDAlphin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost and 1999 GT
Looks like I need to get this copy. I'm impressed with 500-600 out of the 2.3...but 1100? This ought to be a interesting build to follow.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
Ken Duttweiler is not "some guy" he has been racing and building state of the art turbo motors for 30 plus years. 1900HP plus Buick V6, 2000HP 2JZ, 3000HP plus Ford and Chevy BB and so on. :headbang:
Why I said this guy and not some guy

gotta look into him now, sounds like someone I'd love to emulate

Sponsored

Fast64ranchero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
63 Ranchero, 1972 Pinto, 2015 Mustang
He's got a long road ahead of him, not saying he won't. I'm saying he's going to run into all the same problems everyone else is having, fuel, head flow, cams, intake manifold, head gasket. There's a reason 680 whp is the record right now.

gUiTo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 trailblazer
680 whp, is alot a damned good bit! ... what do you figure that is at the crank?

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 sec bolt on ecoboost // 9.2 @ 151 2019 blower GTCS
He's got a long road ahead of him, not saying he won't. I'm saying he's going to run into all the same problems everyone else is having, fuel, head flow, cams, intake manifold, head gasket. There's a reason 680 whp is the record right now.
It's all about resources.... Darrell cox was running 7s (and I'm talking 1/4 mile) in his full out drag srt-4 a couple years before any street srt4 could even crack 10s. I remember he brought out the trailer and his car to our Santa Fe springs meet. Super cool team and amazing car. So in all honesty I don't see Ken having a problem getting close to that mark.

Ron@cp-e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
I wouldn't be too sure

He will get it done for sure.
To replicate it you'll need to be rather wealthy though
same scenario as the Buick StageII days....

Sponsored

Kcode

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robb
Vehicle(s)
TY EcoBoost Prem Vert Auto PerfPkg Nav
Won't be many "stock" parts on the finished project. GM made over 1,400 hp from a 2.16l version of their EcoTec. One of their big developments to keep the blocks together was developing a head stud that ran right down to the main caps. Maybe Ford's racing block will be a little stronger.The Eco taken out to around 2.5l (under development) should certainly meet the targets and probably more in a drag race engine. But it certainly will be a huge money deal.

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Won't be many "stock" parts on the finished project. GM made over 1,400 hp from a 2.16l version of their EcoTec. One of their big developments to keep the blocks together was developing a head stud that ran right down to the main caps. Maybe Ford's racing block will be a little stronger.The Eco taken out to around 2.5l (under development) should certainly meet the targets and probably more in a drag race engine. But it certainly will be a huge money deal.
This i think will be 50/50 chance.... I remember the DCR team (7sec srt4) saying most of their long block was straight from dodge. It was kinda hard to believe but it's DCR so I took their word for it.

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
In the end, it won't be with the configuration that is presented to you off the lot. The head will end up being a 2.0 Ti-VCT with a 2.65L (same as my build). Granted he has access to have a few custom things made but from my development he will probably land at the same spot as my build which is a 2.65L block.

Making 1000whp+ is simple honestly, I have done it before on other platforms while retaining the off the lot block, cylinder head, and even crank. However that will NEVER be the case for the EBM 2.3L.

Will be cool to see where he ends up!

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In the end, it won't be with the configuration that is presented to you off the lot. The head will end up being a 2.0 Ti-VCT with a 2.65L (same as my build). Granted he has access to have a few custom things made but from my development he will probably land at the same spot as my build which is a 2.65L block.

Making 1000whp+ is simple honestly, I have done it before on other platforms while retaining the off the lot block, cylinder head, and even crank. However that will NEVER be the case for the EBM 2.3L.

Will be cool to see where he ends up!
Unless ford pisses all us 15/16/17 guys off and updates the head in 18 lol

Last edited:

JDAlphin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost and 1999 GT
Unless ford pisses all us 15/16/17 guys and updates the head in 18 lol
I'll be first in line to replace it. Haha.
Sponsored