Sponsored

10R80 Upgrades - How are they holding up?

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I toasted my original 10R80 at 21K (14K non-boosted, 7K boosted) with a P1-X and at an estimated 640 RWHP. No 1/4 mile just highway pulls up to about 140.

Bought a VIN correct 10R80 from a Ford dealer and torn it down and did the comprehensive Sun Coast upgrades with the extra E clutch and GPZ frictions.

I tuned it with the HP Tuners software and tailored it obviously for boost. 9K miles later its working very well with no issues.

I was wondering who else has done a similar upgrade, what RWHP they are at, how many miles since rebuild, and overall how well are they holding up.
Sponsored

Exploded_Muffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I've sold my GT now but I did the Suncoast stage 2 kit and had it on for about 7k miles I think.
Same use case, no 1/4 just highway pulls. Running the ESS G3 105 and 100mm pulleys between 800 - 850 whp.

When I took the trans apart to reinstall stock parts the clutches were worn a bit but nothing bad at all. Looked like they could go another 7k miles easily at the same power level.

I also had upgraded cooling with a remote cooler setup with external thermostat. Temps normally ran at 150 - 160f and got to 180f if I was pushing it in the middle of summer but cooled down quickly.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I toasted my original 10R80 at 21K (14K non-boosted, 7K boosted) with a P1-X and at an estimated 640 RWHP. No 1/4 mile just highway pulls up to about 140.

Bought a VIN correct 10R80 from a Ford dealer and torn it down and did the comprehensive Sun Coast upgrades with the extra E clutch and GPZ frictions.

I tuned it with the HP Tuners software and tailored it obviously for boost. 9K miles later its working very well with no issues.

I was wondering who else has done a similar upgrade, what RWHP they are at, how many miles since rebuild, and overall how well are they holding up.
what failed on your original trans? That power level seems low to have broken it

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Exploded_Muffiin,

That's great info. I estimate I am about 650 whp. So sounds like I am good for a long time.

Robvas,

The 10R80 is very stout on the internals where it matters, i.e. sun, planetary and ring gears. They don't break, they burn up (clutch frictions and steels).

Suncoast upgrade and HP Tuners trans software can deliver a much more durable 10R, but as with anything, as HP goes up, lifespan goes down.

ToxicOverwatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silverado- extremely stock
Following. Looking to be fairly reliable in the 850-950 range

Sponsored

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Ive made 900+ on the dyno but usually run around town on a 750hp setting. Trans is fine at 14k miles (11k with turbos) but my 3-4 shift has a bit of a flare when cold.

I know ill need to build a trans at some point.

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Exploded_Muffin,

Were you running Torque Management enabled, or disabled?

Exploded_Muffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Exploded_Muffin,

Were you running Torque Management enabled, or disabled?
I had two tunes - one with it enabled and the other disabled.
I mostly ran the tune with it enabled (dropped timing from 21 to 14 degrees during shifts) but sometimes switched to the tune where it was disabled when I was Dragy timing the car.
That's another crucial part of having the trans live - have to keep torque management on.

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Exploded_Muffin,

100% on leaving Torque Management enabled, that's how I run mine as well all the time.

Thanks for the info.
Sponsored