OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'87 Mustang (Sold); '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '19 Ranger
If you don’t mind me asking are you using a well known tuner or some one local to you?
Unleashed Tuning. Even Torrie admits he is not sure the changes he made turned adaptive off, but I can tell that it did. Unlike when you load a tune and the transmission has to relearn all over and it wildly inconsistent with shifts for a while, this was consistent right from the get-go and did not vary. Tuning those first few gears is maybe worth a try to see if the harshness could be fixed. I am not sure what parameters to even suggest working on to be honest. Maybe timing and pressure? I do know that the transmission programing is set up from Ford to use pump pressure to determine shifts so that the trans fluid is flowing correctly. Maybe without adaptive slowing these shifts when cold, the shifts are now getting increased pressure from the transmission pump trying to move colder fluid. Who knows. I'm spit balling here. Lol.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No matter what, turning adaptive off might be just the ticket for a racer.

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have another tune file to try with those first few shifts back in line with the others (we had tweaked them to try to fix the common laggy cold shift issue with 10R80s), so we will see how that goes with the adaptive turned off. I won't get around to loading it until late this weekend or Monday.

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That change (changing the 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5 shift timing to be the same as the other gears) is much better with adaptive turned off, but the 3-4 and the 4-5 shifts are still jerky at times. I honestly think it is the nature of this transmission and the adaptive learning is used to smooth things out. Kind of a crappy way to design a transmission IMHO. I'll drive it a few more days and report back if anything changes (I haven't had a chance to really heat the transmission up well yet). Everything else is perfect. Even the weird cold first shifts are gone. Might not be a daily driver, but a good experiment to be sure. Would definitely be amazing for someone who races or changes tunes often, etc.

Sponsored

vaeevictiss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium PP1
After driving a GT500 for a bit I just got to say I wish they went with that trans in the GT. What an incredible gearbox. This 10R80 is fantastic when its working correctly. But it does have its issues. I'm currently getting that occasional 1-2 lag and there's no rhyme or reason. I was gonna try and check the trans fluid level until I got under it and was like, fuck that. I can get a wrench on it, but its not moving lol. Ford is a dickhead for not running a dipstick on these.

It was easy to check on my F150. Barely even need to get under it.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I've done it on my GT for a few months now, TBH I'm not sure if it's worth it if you drive normally most of the time.

The shifting in normal mode (especially when cold) is very erratic, almost like it flares with every shift. It gets better with temp, but it's definitely not as smooth as before.

Now sport mode and beyond, especially when driven semi-hard, is absolutely beautiful and crisp.

If you can handle daily driving it all the time in sport mode or you only drive hard on track, this mod is for you. If you like to putt around most of the time, you probably should let the transmission learn and make it smooth for you there all the time.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
I drive the car only at the track and with paddle shifting. Mmmm

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I drive the car only at the track and with paddle shifting. Mmmm
Paddle shifting in Sport+ or Track mode with this is not that much different, granted I have a FRPP tune which made a huge difference over stock on its own. Leaving it shifting automatically in S gave the most positive benefit.

paddles in S+ - not much difference
auto shifting in S - good
auto shifting in N - poor

The cool thing about is it's easy enough to do and reverse, so doesn't hurt to try.
Sponsored