Self driving Mustang! [Project]

StangATX

Project Corrupted Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 White Corrupted Cyclone
Hey guys!

It's been a while since I wanted to get into it and I finally put my foot down to get it started. I don't know if y'all heard of "Comma,ai" (short story: It's an open source project to get your car driving like a Tesla). (Long story: Google what it is :D).
Anyways, I'm not really sure if our cars come with lane departure system as an option but we might need to get a work around that. I know there's some guys here that might be interested in the project. I'll be glad to open a special Github for it and use my personal server resources to get this project moved along all together. Also, I'd like to keep this thread updated as much as we can and I will probably open a support website for it.
I got in touch with George Hotz and I told him I'll keep him updated of the project and he could possibly add the Mustang to his list of compatible vehicles if we ever succeed!
However, This year him and his team are working on Toyota. He stated that he will work on a new brand each year and that this year it's Toyota. :gossip:

WHO IS IN?! :D

Update (09/25/2017): Just found out that our car have ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) option available. Anyone who has it can chime in? I'm looking for the parts # and the As-Built Data to enable it. After that I will be look into controlling the steering wheel.

Update (09/27/2017):
I opened a GoFundMe for the project. I have a few people already working with me on this. We've got some driving data and we might have found some interesting thing. We are still trying to get more driving data to make sure we are looking at things right. Anyways, I will gladly appreciate your support for the project! Here's the link with a video if you wanna take a look at it. Thanks guys!

Update: (10/02/2017): As I speak right now, I found someone that is making a custom board for me to control the steering wheel. It's on test right now :headbang: I'm looking at 2 options. Making my own kit and hack the can bus signal with another person. The reason why I'm looking at making my own kit is because I want to make it universal for other cars as well :)

Link:
https://www.gofundme.com/ford-mustang-self-driving-project
Capture.PNG
Sponsored

Last edited:

15BluStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
You want Mustangs to be self driving? That is just plain wrong! Mustangs are to be driven by a driver and put a smile on the drivers face. Self driving cars are for people that do not care about what they drive and think being on their phone or tablet is more important than paying attention to the road.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
This would be cool, I mean I know people will complain about a mustang being meant to be driven, but its not like this is an all the time feature or system. There were periods on my 8 hour road trip last week where I would have greatly appreciated a machine being at the wheel in some shitty stop and go traffic.

Also it would be pretty fun if the car was able to self drive itself around a race track for a few laps so you could then try and beat the machines time. Like video game but IRL! I know this is already being done on other prototype research cars but haven't heard of a mustang with it.

OP
OP
StangATX

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You want Mustangs to be self driving? That is just plain wrong! Mustangs are to be driven by a driver and put a smile on the drivers face. Self driving cars are for people that do not care about what they drive and think being on their phone or tablet is more important than paying attention to the road.
Let me explain before to say it's plain wrong... I don't know your driving schedule but I pass most of my time on the road. My Mustang is my DD and I spend more time traveling with it than being at home. My wife and I love the car and travel with it a lot. I go to work with it (over 100miles round trip), I go to the stores, I go out of states. Sometimes I'm a little lazy when the road is empty at night and I'd like the car to take over while I'm watching over it. I never use my phone while driving. I actually hate people doing it. When I use my bike if I see an a**hole with his phone. I'll let him know nicely that's it's dangerous. I didn't mean to offend you as a Mustang Purist fan... If it's not for your taste you're welcome to walk away from the idea :gossip:

hasimp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 - Oxford White w/ Blue Stripes
Sounds interesting, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to having it for those long road trips.

Sponsored

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
StangATX

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-part...9bXVzdGFuZyZ5PTIwMTUmdD1ndCZlPTUtMGwtdjgtZ2Fz I've been looking into adding adaptive cruise control, I added the following links the one above for the bracket that holds the sensor and this one's the actual sensor.
Thanks a ton man! I couldn't find the sensor. I posted on the As-Built Data thread. @buzz-dee Seems to have that feature on his car. Do you have it as well?

Edit: I wonder if we have the harness already in the car...? Any ideas?

Last edited:
OP
OP
StangATX

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, Apparently we also need to change the switch on the steering wheel (Not too bad and pretty cheap). We need part #:
FR3Z-9C888-DA

Now, I'm wondering if we could probably keep our regular switch (Non ACC) it seems to be at the same position as the one we already have. I just don't know if it's mapped the same way on the harness side of it or not though... I mean, it's just 20 bucks anyways lol.

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
Adding ACC would be interesting for us non-US people since we could not have it even if we want (not a selectable option). We only have regular cruise control.
Also, IIRC linked to ACC there is also pre-collision assistant right?

Sponsored

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought a My Color premium cluster with track apps and it has ACC already built in that's why I was thinking of adding it as it just comes up as an error right now but there's something wrong with the ACC sensor when I just don't have one. I have ACC on my Explorer and it is rather convenient on the freeway. I haven't checked yet to see if it's actually in our harness built in I was thinking about looking this weekend. Not sure if you would even need the buttons for the steering wheel if it's anything like my Explorer Once you turn on cruise control it's automatically on and you can make adjustments through the cluster, not for certain how it is in the Mustang but I know when I set cruise control on it gives the air for ACC.

buzz-dee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Premium PP
Hi all,

you are rigth. I have it on my car and to be honest it's one of the features I really love. ACC was one of the reasons I chose the US model instead of the European one.

I'll look up the wiring of the steering wheel switches and then come back to you.

I don't think you can add ACC without changing the switches since there's no other way to adjust the gap to the traffic ahead of you. The only thing you can set in the instrument cluster is ACC to be on or off.

Here are the switches, they're totally different in their funtionality:

Cruise:

cruise.png

ACC:

ACC.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
StangATX

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some wiring diagrams for you:
Thanks a lot man! Hopefully tomorrow it's not raining and I can take apart my front bumper to check if there's a harness somewhere. :cheers:

OP
OP
StangATX

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The more I look at the wiring and the modules that I can see as well on ForScan. The more I think the car has the potential to control the steering wheel without adding an actuator!
Sponsored