Sponsored

Had a deal on an R- then I didn't

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
It's been a long road, and I'm getting pretty tired of searching, but I thought I'd share this story.

Yesterday I went through my list of around 30 dealers, and there was one that was supposed to get back with me mid-last week that I hadn't heard from, so I called them yesterday afternoon to inquire. I was forwarded directly to one of the main sales managers, and after talking about my search and prices, etc., the sales manager told me that he had one allocation for an R in 2018 and that I could have it at what I consider a great price (slightly over MSRP). Since he was a good drive away, I confirmed that it was indeed an "R" allocation, and agreed to come over today to sign the paperwork and get things started. What I liked about talking with this dealership is that they are smaller, customer oriented, and have been great to talk to and deal with.

Got a call from their salesmen this morning before heading out, and he wanted to make sure he was there when I arrived and we set up a time for me to drive to him. I told him the color I wanted (LB w/white stripes, electronics package a must) and he advised that he'd get the paperwork going and have it ready.

Now I have been very excited to finally have my search over (been looking on and off since last year) and my wife and I celebrated last night that we could finally focus on other things. It was definitely a weight off my shoulders.

Got a call as me and my wife were leaving, and it was the salesman.. he advised that the sales manger had made a mistake, and that they did not have an R allocation as he had thought.. my salesman had got into the system to pull up the actual allocation and assign it, and it was not for an R. I reiterated that I had confirmed 3 times yesterday that they had an R, but apologized profusely at the mistake. I wanted to make sure the price they had offered me wasn't the problem, and they assured me that was not it.

I called the sales manager back and he apologized and admitted his mistake, and said he was going to try and get me an R still (being a smaller dealer, I doubt he will be able to pull this off).

So there ya go- From ecstatic, to sick to my stomach.. again, lol.

Not giving up, just sick of the games. The big dealers are all a-holes, the small dealers that are great to deal with can't get cars, something just doesn't seem right about that.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It's been a long road, and I'm getting pretty tired of searching, but I thought I'd share this story.

Yesterday I went through my list of around 30 dealers, and there was one that was supposed to get back with me mid-last week that I hadn't heard from, so I called them yesterday afternoon to inquire. I was forwarded directly to one of the main sales managers, and after talking about my search and prices, etc., the sales manager told me that he had one allocation for an R in 2018 and that I could have it at what I consider a great price (slightly over MSRP). Since he was a good drive away, I confirmed that it was indeed an "R" allocation, and agreed to come over today to sign the paperwork and get things started. What I liked about talking with this dealership is that they are smaller, customer oriented, and have been great to talk to and deal with.

Got a call from their salesmen this morning before heading out, and he wanted to make sure he was there when I arrived and we set up a time for me to drive to him. I told him the color I wanted (LB w/white stripes, electronics package a must) and he advised that he'd get the paperwork going and have it ready.

Now I have been very excited to finally have my search over (been looking on and off since last year) and my wife and I celebrated last night that we could finally focus on other things. It was definitely a weight off my shoulders.

Got a call as me and my wife were leaving, and it was the salesman.. he advised that the sales manger had made a mistake, and that they did not have an R allocation as he had thought.. my salesman had got into the system to pull up the actual allocation and assign it, and it was not for an R. I reiterated that I had confirmed 3 times yesterday that they had an R, but apologized profusely at the mistake. I wanted to make sure the price they had offered me wasn't the problem, and they assured me that was not it.

I called the sales manager back and he apologized and admitted his mistake, and said he was going to try and get me an R still (being a smaller dealer, I doubt he will be able to pull this off).

Not giving up, just sick of the games. The big dealers are all a-holes, the small dealers that are great to deal with can't get cars, something just doesn't seem right about that.
Sorry to hear it Eric.

Best of luck in your search.

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
That does totally suck, and that idiot sales manager has no idea of the significant emotional event he just put you through.
Reminds me of the dealers that thought they had R models because of the trademark circled r after GT350

OP
OP
96cobra

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Sorry to hear it Eric.

Best of luck in your search.
Thanks Tom. I almost texted you last night to tell you I finally had a deal.. but I didn't want to jinx myself lol. Looks like I was jinxed after all.

And yes, this was a significant let down and it does play on your emotions (happy to finally know you're getting your car, the low of having it pulled away). I'm almost over the whole thing, if I really didn't want the car so badly I'd be over all of it.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Thanks Tom. I almost texted you last night to tell you I finally had a deal.. but I didn't want to jinx myself lol. Looks like I was jinxed after all.

And yes, this was a significant let down and it does play on your emotions (happy to finally know you're getting your car, the low of having it pulled away). I'm almost over the whole thing, if I really didn't want the car so badly I'd be over all of it.
I know the roller coaster ride well my friend.

Best of luck to you.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Good luck man. I've been on the "people suck" kick lately, so I automatically assume that they changed their minds - someone else said "but wait, this other guy would buy it for more if I just call him).

I'll keep my eyes out. PM me what you consider a reasonable ADM and I'll ask my dealer about it.

If you need to come open my doors a few times for emotional support, I'm here for you ;)

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
It's been a long road, and I'm getting pretty ired of searching, but I thought I'd share this story.

Sorry to hear about your recent dilemma and good to hear that you are not giving up.

With respect to big dealers being a-holes compared to working with small dealerships I have just found the exact opposite.

I agree that small dealerships may great to deal with but from an informational standpoint many of them have no idea what they are talking about because of their lack of experience with HP cars and your situation is just another example of what I am talking about. I found that out first hand when the Boss 302 cars were just coming out as many small dealerships just have do not have much experience with HP Mustangs.

After being very fortunate to have worked with 3 large dealerships on the purchase of 3 GT350's including 2 R's I would not rule them out as there are some very good ones out there at least that is my experience after almost 50 years of buying Blue Oval cars.

;)

czaustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Manuals and DCT
I had the EXACT same thing happen to me last week as I also did my round of calling to try to make a deal on an R. After calling a dealership, I was connected with a salesman with who I made an inquiry on a R model they had for sale. He confirmed they had the car and I made an offer. He said he would call me back after speaking with the manager.

He called me back 15 min later to confirm and congratulate me that I was going to be the proud owner of a new Shelby GT350R. He said he had to "go around" the manager and work directly with the dealership owner who was a personal friend of his. He said he would be emailing me documents and call for a CC downpayment in a matter of minutes.

So, I don't hear back from the salesman the rest of the day. On the following day I call him to inquire where everything stands. I leave a message and he calls me back and says "So sorry, I did not realize that was an R and we mark those up much higher". I told him OK, no biggie. (However, I did wonder how a salesman doesn't know his product the way he should.)

To end on a high note, I received an email confirmation on a '17 RRR w/ black roof. Its a dealer 3 hours away and an ADM I was willing to pay. I am really excited to finally experience the car that I have been wanting to for quite some time. The timing and deal feel right too.

Keep looking Eric. You will find the right car at the right time.
Sponsored