Sponsored

Car broke down, in need of some help and opinions.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Hey guys, hoping I can get some help.

On the way home this morning I was accelerating pretty hard, hit a large indent in the road I believe as the car was about to shift. It pegged the tach until I manually shifted it up. Put it back into normal mode, and it wouldn't drive right. Pushing the gas raised the rpms but the car wouldn't move or shift. Acted like it was revving in park/neutral and barely kept speed.

Pulled over a few seconds later, car stalled. Did a quick check on the side of the road and don't see any hoses or pipes blown off. No fluid leaks on the ground.

Started it up, it runs a bit rough. As soon as I shift it into reverse or drive, it stalls.

If anybody has any pointers of what to look I greatly appreciate it. Although I have a feeling it may be serious. Possible that the road indent on shift shocked the trans and broke it? Feels trans related to me.

Thank you.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
I decided to have the car towed to a shop as I'm pretty sure the repair is trans related and out of my reach for repair.

Will keep this thread updated on what happens next though

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
Check your vacuum lines. The trans should not cause your car to not start but a big vacuum leak can. Being that you hit a bg bump it most likely broke loose a line that was marginal at best. Also, when you shift into D or other, that causes a vacuum change and if it stalls generally it's from a leak.

Unless you smacked the tranny on the ground I am going to say it's fine. You prob have a vacuum leak like a tear in an intercooler pipe or just a line that came off.

Good luck!

OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Check your vacuum lines. The tans should cause your car to not start but a big vacuum leak can. Being that you hit a bg bump it most likely broke loose a line that was marginal at best. Also, when you shift into D or other, that causes a vacuum change and if it stalls generally it's from a leak.

Unless you smacked the tranny on the ground I am going to say it's fine. You prob have a vacuum leak like a tear in an intercooler pipe or just a line that came off.

Good luck!
I was on the side of the highway but I checked the hoses going to the intercooler and vacuum lines under the engine cover because that was my first thought. They all looked okay. Hopefully I missed one and that's all it is

Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
How long did it bounce off the limiter.Did u check for any engine codes??

OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
How long did it bounce off the limiter.Did u check for any engine codes??
No codes. Probably a few seconds but it didn't even sound like it was bouncing off a limiter, just that it was revving high. My limiter is set to 7500 also.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Did you lose oil pressure? Is this an auto? Sounds torque converter-ish to me.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Take the mechanic beer n brisket or breakfast. This shouldnt take 40 minutes to figure out.

Sounds like a vac line or intake side etc. Something that causes MAF to not measure all the air getting to cylinders and thus air fuel is off even at idle.

Crossing fingers for you.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Take the mechanic beer n brisket or breakfast. This shouldnt take 40 minutes to figure out.

Sounds like a vac line or intake side etc. Something that causes MAF to not measure all the air getting to cylinders and thus air fuel is off even at idle.

I would agree with this,but the only thing that dont make sense about that is why did when he put it in drive the car would not move,like it was in netrual he said.Tran is all electronic no vaccum lines.Could be two issues going on.How bad was this bump??,did anything hit when u went over the bump??

Sponsored
OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Did you lose oil pressure? Is this an auto? Sounds torque converter-ish to me.
It's Auto, didn't lose oil pressure.

Thanks, dropped it off they will try to have an answer for me tomorrow they said. The shop said they've never seen this before.

I would agree with this,but the only thing that dont make sense about that is why did when he put it in drive the car would not move,like it was in netrual he said.Tran is all electronic no vaccum lines.Could be two issues going on.How bad was this bump??,did anything hit when u went over the bump??
The bump was pretty firm, nothing hit anything though.

When the car was still rolling after the bump, pushing the pedal to try and accelerate revved the car up like it was in neutral. Once I came to a stop, it stalled. It will start, and run a little rough. As soon as you shift it into reverse or drive, it stalls.

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
It sounds like it would go into drive or reverse but it would die as soon as it engaged. When you shift into gear the RPM's typically drop and if it stalls it is usually because of a vacuum issue.

In neutral I am assuming your idle is ~1k then into gear drops to low 800. Prior to stabilizing at 800 you will go as low as 600...It sounds like during that shift the car dies.

If you hit hard enough I am going to guess IC pipe issue after MAF. Second guess is any one of the vacuum lines that was touched during install. :)

[ame]

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
It sounds like it would go into drive or reverse but it would die as soon as it engaged. When you shift into gear the RPM's typically drop and if it stalls it is usually because of a vacuum issue.

In neutral I am assuming your idle is ~1k then into gear drops to low 800. Prior to stabilizing at 800 you will go as low as 600...It sounds like during that shift the car dies.

If you hit hard enough I am going to guess IC pipe issue after MAF. Second guess is any one of the vacuum lines that was touched during install. :)

Gotcha after i read his last post wheir he said when he puts it in drive then it stalls,i was thinking something different.Yea it sounds like he jared something loose.

OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys, I hope that's it. I'll be pissed are myself for towing it to a shop for something I could have fixed though lol. At this point I hope it's that though, I just want my car back and for it to not cost me an arm lol

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Drop trans pan and check if trans filter neck broke or any part of filter cracked.
$20 filter + $40 fluid. The neck and top are plastic and can be cracked causing trans fluid pump starve and valving cant work if fluid has air mixed in.

Any engine lights or codes?
IMG_3254.jpg
Sponsored