Sponsored

Tune+ WMI Kit Install and Thoughts

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Reason for going the WMI (Water/Methanol Injection) route

AZ banned E85 last year, forcing stations to switch to E54. Combined with the fact that nearest “now-E54” station is 20 miles away, I decided to go the WMI route as I used WMI in the past with good results. Since I don’t race nor do WOT runs often, a gallon of 50/50 mixture usually last over a month when I used it with Dodge Stealth TT. This makes WMI much more cost effective for me over using something like Torco. Luckily, I was able to buy a used Tune+ WMI kit off of a forum member for less than a new AEM V2 WMI kit. While Tune+ no longer sells those kits, Adam still tunes for WMI at no additional cost. You can easily put your own kit together, minus tank and pump mounts.

Installation

Adam has an informative video on YouTube. Below are my customizations with explanations:

Added an AEM WMI Filter (PN: 30-3003) between the tank and pump to increase reliability. It’s also highly recommended for the flow/failsafe gauge, which I may add in the future.

http://i.imgsafe.org/edfa0bc378.jpg
Installed AEM charge pipes with two 1/8” NPT bungs on the cold side. While the Tune+ kit came with a spacer for the nozzle and boost source to ensure that you can run it with OEM hose, I wanted to mount the nozzle on further away from the throttle body to give spray more time to evaporate. And I’d rather have the mixture pool in the intercooler rather than intake manifold in case of any massive leaks or pump mishaps.

I initially used the second bung on the pipe as the boost source. That ended up being a mistake as it caused the kit to spray way before the “Start PSI” setting. This made me learn about the difference in TIP and MAP. This article (http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/ecoboost-tech-are-throttle-closures-bad/) does a good job in explaining the pressure difference in TIP and MAP, which is more than a small pressure drop caused by the throttle body restriction. I ended up installing the spacer after all, and ended up cutting ¾” inch off of the cold side pipe to make it fit. If you don’t want to use a spacer, there are adaptors you can buy to use EVAP connection or MAP port as the boost source.

Placed the arming switch on a small panel by the sunglasses holder. This panel pops right off and there are holes behind the panel that accommodate the switch and wires. Having the switch easily accessible allows me to turn the system off if the failsafe kicks in, which will restore the throttle function and let me switch the map without having to pull over. The hole below the switch is where I initially mounted the LED status blub. It wasn’t easy to see while driving and I didn’t want to look down there while boosting, so…

I relocated the bulb to a plastic piece in front of the shifter indicator. That piece pops right off and there is a convenient hole right below it in the center to accommodate wires for the bulb. Adam didn’t install the blub in his video, but I felt that this will alert me to any issues in case the failsafe fails and also lets me know if the pump kicks in at the proper boost pressure.

Mounted the controller hidden above the dead paddle with Velcro strips. There is enough slack so I can detach and adjust the knobs as needed.

Soldered the wires for the failsafe relay but used several coats of liquid electrical tape (http://www.starbrite.com/item/liquid-electrical-tape) instead of shrink tunings as I felt that it provides better protection against water. I also used black wiring looms throughout to make it look factory installed. At least my wife can’t tell.

Installed a “add a circuit” type of fuse tap for the main and arming switch 12-volt wires, using fuse #40. This allows leaving the switch on without having to worry about turning it on or off.

One more item that I don’t have a picture for; I initially used one of the studs for the steering wheel shaft, as shown on the video. The controller was throwing a voltage error code even though multimeter showed 12+ volts. After various troubleshooting attempts, I uninstalled the ground wire and touched it against the door striker, which caused the controller to work flawlessly. I ended up installing the wire on one of the brake pedal shaft studs.

After the install

Since I don’t have a flow gauge right now, I monitor CAT, knock count, STFT, timing correction, and OAR on the Access Port, which lets me know if the system isn’t working or is leaking.

Adam had me gather some data logs without using the meth tune first in order to make sure that the system worked. I expected it run pretty rich but I was amazed that the ECU did a pretty good job keeping the AFR around mid 11’s during WOT, even with STFT being as high as over -19% on some runs. With a proper tune, LTT Torque final increased by a little over 30 ft/lb. I didn’t see any knocks for most of the WOT pulls and if there were any, they were incidental 1 or 2s, which are normal.
Sponsored

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang Ecoboost
is it normal? i have an ecoboost too, and I hear a ping everyonce in a while. Is there some logic in the programming that constantly tries to keep a tight threshold on knock?

thanks for sharing your experience.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Sorry to go OT but, more importantly, what year/color is that Dodge Stealth TT? I had a 2nd gen 3000GT back in the late 90's/early 2000's so I couldn't just let that slide. The reason I bought this car was bc it brought back the same emotions from that car.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Sorry to go OT but, more importantly, what year/color is that Dodge Stealth TT? I had a 2nd gen 3000GT back in the late 90's/early 2000's so I couldn't just let that slide. The reason I bought this car was bc it brought back the same emotions from that car.
The only modern-ish car that brought back that feeling was my 4th gen Trans Ams. I think it was the seating position, you sit way, way down in the car. Mustangs always feel like the wheels are on the ground floor of an apartment building while the drivers seat is on the roof.

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Were you already tuned and gained another 30lb ft with WMI? Or...? Sorry, just got up. Haven't finished my coffee.

What kind of HP increase did you see? I'm curious, WMI is something I'm very interested in.

Sponsored

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Are you running a diode on the failsafe green line, or strait to the relay? Also I am not sure you will be able to switch maps without having to pull over, I have the same kit and when the failsafe kicks off it does put the car in limp mode and you cannot clear that without pulling over and shutting the car off, you can as stated switch maps on the fly but till you restart the car you cannot clear the ECU limp mode while driving. I have not been able to do so with my setup yet, and as soon as your throttle is cut off by the relay, it does it.

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
is it normal? i have an ecoboost too, and I hear a ping everyonce in a while. Is there some logic in the programming that constantly tries to keep a tight threshold on knock?

thanks for sharing your experience.
You are indeed correct. Those one off knocks were so brief that I only noticed it from the max value recorded by the AP. These sensors are sensitive enough that other noises, such as converter locking up, might also get registered as a knock. There are times where I get zero knocks while doing a 3rd gear WOT run up the highway on ramp for a data logging session, but AP registers a knock while cursing for few miles down the highway.

Are you seeing those knocks on a monitor/data logger or are you actually hearing them? If you can actually hear them, those may be more than just one offs.

It's a concern if you see a consistent or a high number knocks, large or consistent negative ignition corrections, or OAR dropping below -1.0. Link below has good info on how Ecoboost platform deals with knocks and ignition corrections.

http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/understanding-knock-and-ignition-corrections-in-your-high-performance-ecoboost-engine/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I had a 1991 Maroon one. It was a fun car to drive and handled winters like a champ when I lived in CO.

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Are you running a diode on the failsafe green line, or strait to the relay? Also I am not sure you will be able to switch maps without having to pull over, I have the same kit and when the failsafe kicks off it does put the car in limp mode and you cannot clear that without pulling over and shutting the car off, you can as stated switch maps on the fly but till you restart the car you cannot clear the ECU limp mode while driving. I have not been able to do so with my setup yet, and as soon as your throttle is cut off by the relay, it does it.
I have it going straight to the relay with no issues so far. I tested the relay to make sure that those two wires for the ECU has continuity until the black wire was grounded.

I heard someone mentioned that shutting the system off should restore the throttle (but CEL stays on until restart) for autos, but I'll test it and post the findings here when I get some time.

Update

Started the car and disconnected the fluid level sensor wire to simulate a failure. CEL came, car went into the limp mode, and throttle became non-responsive. Turned the WMI kit off, stepped on the throttle, and... it was still non-responsive. Restarting the car cleared the CEL and restored the throttle, so looks like autos behave the same way. Glad that you brought this up as it'll save me a surprise in the future.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
One thing I forgot to mention was that I ended gutting the built-in check valve, as Adam and few others stated that those break often, and installed a Devil's Own unit.

check-valve.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Were you already tuned and gained another 30lb ft with WMI? Or...? Sorry, just got up. Haven't finished my coffee.

What kind of HP increase did you see? I'm curious, WMI is something I'm very interested in.
I haven't dynoed it before or after the install, so 30 ft/lb is just an estimate by the ECU. I definitely feel it in the butt dyno and traction control kicks much easier when gunning from stop and between shifts now, even on 255/40 Pirelli summer tires on a warm road.

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I have it going straight to the relay with no issues so far. I tested the relay to make sure that those two wires for the ECU has continuity until the black wire was grounded.

I heard someone mentioned that shutting the system off should restore the throttle (but CEL stays on until restart) for autos, but I'll test it and post the findings here when I get some time.

Update

Started the car and disconnected the fluid level sensor wire to simulate a failure. CEL came, car went into the limp mode, and throttle became non-responsive. Turned the WMI kit off, stepped on the throttle, and... it was still non-responsive. Restarting the car cleared the CEL and restored the throttle, so looks like autos behave the same way. Glad that you brought this up as it'll save me a surprise in the future.
Yeah I had a number of instances while driving down hill into the tunnel in boston where my fluid level since the tank is not baffled dropped below the sensor, kicked off the fail safe and I had to pull over to reset. Not on the fly at all lol and kind of a pain because you cannot shut the car off going faster than 5mph via the push button.

I also assume by your pic that you have power running to the fuse box for the AEM controller not directly to the battery? Do you have your ground going to the pedal under the dash or do another source?

jcart953

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Premium
One thing I forgot to mention was that I ended gutting the built-in check valve, as Adam and few others stated that those break often, and installed a Devil's Own unit.

check-valve.jpg
Do you have pictures of this installed XD

EAndre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
E
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Base 6MT Recaros Sold
Yeah I had a number of instances while driving down hill into the tunnel in boston where my fluid level since the tank is not baffled dropped below the sensor, kicked off the fail safe and I had to pull over to reset. Not on the fly at all lol and kind of a pain because you cannot shut the car off going faster than 5mph via the push button.

I also assume by your pic that you have power running to the fuse box for the AEM controller not directly to the battery? Do you have your ground going to the pedal under the dash or do another source?
FYI if you hold that start button for a few seconds driving it will shut off. Don't ask me how I know lol