Sponsored

My Dearborn Mustang Reveal Event Trip Report

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
No doubts JarStang and company have done a great job at keeping the community informed, along with the amazing renders and images that chazcron and other have produced. For all this, I am immensely thankful - what a fun ride it's been so far!

I am also immensely thankful for the opportunity to attend the Dearborn, MI, event that introduced the 2015 Ford Mustang. I went as the club representative for the Mach 1 Registry and International Mustang Bullitt Owners Club, being invited because of their affiliation with Ford Motor Company through the Ford Performance Group outreach. Our contact John Clor has graciously offered the clubs exclusive access to the Mustang and those who work on it (Design, Engineering, Marketing) over the past 5 years. FPG did not disappoint again with this momentous occasion today.

Hundreds of Ford employees, suppliers, dealer representatives and other enthusiast club members crowded into the Ford Conference and Event Center, which in the Greenfield Village complex. We were greeted with a display of Mustangs from each generation, many supplied by the local Mustang Owners Club of Southeast Michigan. The 2008 Mustang Bullitt on display was provided by Mike Laney, another of our club contacts at Ford Racing and fellow IMBOC member. After an hour to view this fantastic collection, the crown made its way into the main room, which was standing room only (me being among them).

Mark Fields, Ford COO, introduced the crowd to a Mustang owner who had her powder blue convertible for the entire 50 years the car has been in production. Indeed, as Mr. Fields noted, many people have a Mustang story, with over 9 million of them sold since 1964.

Shortly thereafter, the cover was whisked away to show a race red GT fastback. Camera whirred as J Mays, VP Design, walked around the vehicle and pointed out the design thinking built into the shape. I immediately noticed it was lower, wider, and had a more aggressive stance than the current generation. It also appeared smaller, so the stylists have done their homework. Frank Davis, North America Executive Director of Engineering, described the new content changes for powertrain, suspension, and driver assist technology. After these presentations, I was sold and confirmed found my next new vehicle!

The photo opportunity that followed was crowded. After waiting for 30 minutes just to get to the stage, I only had 2 minutes to snap photos at various angles, along with getting a picture taken with Mark Fields. I am proud to say that I left no drool anywhere!

After a break, a question and answer session lead by various Mustang design, engineering, and marketing staff was held for Ford retirees. I heard a number of factoids that caught my attention –
·

• the front suspension was redesigned to allow for the fitment of larger front brakes; indeed, 15” rotors and six-piston Brembo calipers will be available, along with 20” wheels

• careful attention was paid to actually increase usable passenger space even though the exterior dimensions were changing; there is actually more shoulder and leg room for the front passengers, along with more travel In the front seat and a telescoping steering wheel to make the driver position even more comfortable

• the interior design was “aircraft-inspired”, with chromed and aluminum trim items suggesting that look

• the “hockey stick” was purposely left out of the design because the side surfacing was thought to convey and link to the design language being employed

• there will be no panoramic roof option

• the style of the convertible top was designed to flow with the different rear quarter panel sheet metal it has vs. the fastback

• no mention was made of the weight reduction targets yet but we were assured that targets were being met

• there will be a noticeable difference among the different driver selectable modes that will be chosen by toggle switches in terms of steering feel, throttle response, and traction management

• the reveal of the 2015 Mustang was done much earlier ahead of product availability because of a marketing decision – this was to extend the “buzz” and leverage social media on the Internet to enroll more people, particularly new customers to Mustang, to tell their stories for a longer period of time

• the wheel package line-up was qualified as perhaps the most extensive in Mustang’s history

• the new car will not be raced during the 2014 calendar year but is expected to in 2015

With a smaller crowd than during the initial reveal, I had a bit more time to get additional photos before concluding the morning. As much as I tried to capture various angles and details, I really only spent a total of 5 additional minutes. In the short time I saw this vehicle, I was impressed and believe that the new Mustang will most definitely appeal to current enthusiasts, but also importantly, new customers across the world to keep it in production for years to come.

Photos are located in my Facebook album. A YouTube video of J Mays design walkaround is [ame="[MEDIA=youtube]eI0WqAwQi0c[/MEDIA]"]here[/ame].
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Thanks for posting...........always nice to get another view of events. So, looks like you met John Clor? :)

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've known John Clor for a number of years. Great guy!

PS - Reading through more details that are available here and through the Ford media-linked information, it's good to see we are hearing consistent messages across the events :)

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
No glass roof..... I really wanted that option. Oh well thanks for posting your experience. The info is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored

FAST FRED

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 ROUSH,2019 GT350R,2021 GT500
Thanks Tony .

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Great summary, thanks for sharing this Tony! :thumbsup:

Here is another video of the Dearborn reveal.

[ame]

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Mustang GT Conv., 11 Edge Sport
I was curious about this comment from Tony's report:
Quote:
the style of the convertible top was designed to flow with the different rear quarter panel sheet metal it has vs. the fastback

Here are two pictures to compare the vert quarter panel with the coupe. Note that I had to use a coupe picture going in the other direction to get close to the same viewing angle, then flipped the coupe picture horizontally.

image.jpg

DSC00135_resize.jpg

Obviously the trunk lid is very different as well as the top of the haunches to line up with the new trunk and roof, but that doesn't seem like a 'different roof to flow with the metal'. It seems the other way round.
Also, is it just lighting, or does the quarter panel look wider in front of the wheel?
Anyone have a better eye than I on what else is different?
vert.jpg
coupe.jpg

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Obviously the trunk lid is very different as well as the top of the haunches to line up with the new trunk and roof, but that doesn't seem like a 'different roof to flow with the metal'. It seems the other way round.
Also, is it just lighting, or does the quarter panel look wider in front of the wheel?
Anyone have a better eye than I on what else is different?
My wording was perhaps a bit muddled. I think what the Mustang engineer was trying to convey was that the convertible's roofline, while being different than the fastback shape, would still look like it was "flowing into the rear". With the different trunk lid and the top of the haunches, I think she was saying they took those differences into account and made a top that worked with the metal.

Maybe that is a better way to describe it.

Crazyhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old beat up and thankfully running strong
Even the vert is Beautiful

Sponsored

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Mustang GT Conv., 11 Edge Sport
My wording was perhaps a bit muddled. I think what the Mustang enginer was trying to convey was that the convertible's roofline, while being different than the fastback shape, would still look like it was "flowing into the rear". With the different trunk lid and the top of the haunches, I think she was saying they took those differences into account and made a top that worked with the metal.

Maybe that is a better way to describe it.
That makes more sense. Thanks for clarifying Tony.

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tony did they say why the panoramic roof option is no more?
There was no reason given, but looking at the "double bubble" design of the roof, I imagine trying to design and engineer that type of glass shape was not deemed cost effective.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Well, no see thru roof will give me the excuse to buy the vert now. :D My s/o's not gonna like this ..............:lol:
Sponsored