Mustang Sales Figures -

Aussie Mate

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt K1121 - (2019 Model) - Built 28 Aug 2018
Thought I would share the following sales figures for Mustangs in Australia.

Total YTD - (until the end of August) - sales for the mustang is 3835...

Note: - these are the actual sales figures (on road registered and delivered) - not orders.
sales 2 016.jpg
Sales 2016.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Yeah Nah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT Fastback
We have to :hail:the US for deciding to build a RHD. It has come at the right time with the Falcon & Territory to cease production in 38 days.

This iconic vehicle doesn't need much energy to market, it sells itself. The energy by Ford Australia needs to be put into aftermarket parts.

I'm proud with those figures, if only we could get more in the country at a faster rate. Waiting for the month when we can sell over 1000 units. :ford:

Tango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT FB - ordered April 12, 2016
I looked at these as well to try and get an idea of my car in the sales queue but I then noticed that the number is very close to those delivered to dealers by end July.

So I think that a sale is only registered on delivery.

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
We have to :hail:the US for deciding to build a RHD. It has come at the right time with the Falcon & Territory to cease production in 38 days.

This iconic vehicle doesn't need much energy to market, it sells itself. The energy by Ford Australia needs to be put into aftermarket parts.

I'm proud with those figures, if only we could get more in the country at a faster rate. Waiting for the month when we can sell over 1000 units. :ford:
I think they should be paying attention to making sure there are plentiful spare parts. There's been a couple of disaster stories in the UK, including Gibbo's oil cooler woes.

BrizSuz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2017 Mustang GT
Interesting - we were one of many ordered in Apr 16... I wonder why the big spike in that month??

Sponsored

MC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red GT Fastback, due sometime in October
How many "sales", which I assume are actually orders, turn into a cheque? 85-90%?

In any case, are all the figures for all cars orders or actual deliveries? Or is it apples and oranges? I would not say that Ford has sold me a Mustang yet. I will only be sold one once the thing passes inspection.

Another thought, is anybody really cross-shopping a Mustang with those other vehicles? Perhaps for the Ecoboost. I was thinking about a VF SS-V Redline as an alternative and did test drive one.

Perhaps I am in the minority, but I don't really want to see heaps and heaps of Mustangs here to be frank. Yes, there's an upside with familiarity and parts availability. But I see my neighbour's Mustang (same colour I ordered!) in the parking lot every day and I'd be lying if I didn't say that it has made me less enthusiastic than I once was - I should have changed the colour (too late). It was meant to be exciting but my car is just going to be another car that I see every single day, indeed twice a day, or more when I take things to the bin. If we stick to around Toyota 86 levels (although they are pretty common on the Gold Coast), I'll be fine with that. But if we get to Commodore SS levels, no thanks. Don't think that will happen.

PG68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Fastback 6speed
What I can’t get my head around is that last September (early September) when I ordered, two days later the press journo’s posted across the internet that just over 3,000 Mustangs were now sold in Australia.

So I assumed that I was maybe around number 3,500 of the total sold otherwise Ford and the press would have said “”nearly 4,000 Mustangs sold”.

So taking all that into account, now when I look at the latest “Mustang Migration to OZ” chart I see that there are 5,223 Mustang either in country or making their way here on ships.

Something is not adding up and I cannot work it out. This means if 3,000 cars were sold when I ordered, by the time I receive mine the “Mustang Migration to Oz” charts will be over 5,500 or maybe 6,000. So how come is there approx 2,500 extra cars delivered or on ships than when I first ordered. I don’t think the press or Ford have released the true figures.

I may be wrong, it just seems strange!!

BrizSuz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2017 Mustang GT
How many "sales", which I assume are actually orders, turn into a cheque? 85-90%?

In any case, are all the figures for all cars orders or actual deliveries? Or is it apples and oranges? I would not say that Ford has sold me a Mustang yet. I will only be sold one once the thing passes inspection.

Another thought, is anybody really cross-shopping a Mustang with those other vehicles? Perhaps for the Ecoboost. I was thinking about a VF SS-V Redline as an alternative and did test drive one.

Perhaps I am in the minority, but I don't really want to see heaps and heaps of Mustangs here to be frank. Yes, there's an upside with familiarity and parts availability. But I see my neighbour's Mustang (same colour I ordered!) in the parking lot every day and I'd be lying if I didn't say that it has made me less enthusiastic than I once was - I should have changed the colour (too late). It was meant to be exciting but my car is just going to be another car that I see every single day, indeed twice a day, or more when I take things to the bin. If we stick to around Toyota 86 levels (although they are pretty common on the Gold Coast), I'll be fine with that. But if we get to Commodore SS levels, no thanks. Don't think that will happen.

Yes good point - I interpreted the graphs as orders too, but perhaps it is settled sales / delivered cars??

Agree with your comment about keeping them a bit rarer. I am seeing more on the road around Brisbane, but if I see 2-3 a week, I'm lucky (and happy!).

MC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red GT Fastback, due sometime in October
Yes good point - I interpreted the graphs as orders too, but perhaps it is settled sales / delivered cars??

Agree with your comment about keeping them a bit rarer. I am seeing more on the road around Brisbane, but if I see 2-3 a week, I'm lucky (and happy!).
Don't get me wrong, I like seeing them on the road. I generally see one every day, sometimes two (aside from the neighbour's car). That's enough :).

ssb

50 DARK
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Black 'vert GT & BMW M Coupe
Agreed! But, based on say a 10 year generation lifespan and an assumption that sales will drop off over that lifespan, we're talking about maybe 30,000 on the road in AU.

The 86 did about 10k in the first 2 years, so its in a bit more demand than the Mustang, but it dropped off a lot up until now - and realistically the Mustang will probably do the same, so might be looking at 20k Mustangs.

Commodore has been doing as many as 2000 per _month_, which makes it 10-12x as common as the Mustang.

We should be ok :)

Sponsored
OP
OP

Aussie Mate

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)

These figures are the acutal sales...not orders.
I belive the figures would be based on cars being registered and handed over to the owner.

OP
OP

Aussie Mate

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
What I can’t get my head around is that last September (early September) when I ordered, two days later the press journo’s posted across the internet that just over 3,000 Mustangs were now sold in Australia.

So I assumed that I was maybe around number 3,500 of the total sold otherwise Ford and the press would have said “”nearly 4,000 Mustangs sold”.

So taking all that into account, now when I look at the latest “Mustang Migration to OZ” chart I see that there are 5,223 Mustang either in country or making their way here on ships.

Something is not adding up and I cannot work it out. This means if 3,000 cars were sold when I ordered, by the time I receive mine the “Mustang Migration to Oz” charts will be over 5,500 or maybe 6,000. So how come is there approx 2,500 extra cars delivered or on ships than when I first ordered. I don’t think the press or Ford have released the true figures.

I may be wrong, it just seems strange!!
That quote ie "3000 mustangs "sold" is just wrong. Given that no mustangs had been sold in September 2015 - they were all just orders.

A car is not sold until it is paid in full and the owner drives it out the show room.

PG68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Fastback 6speed

Tango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT FB - ordered April 12, 2016
I'm pretty sure the actual sales figures are paid up and delivered mustangs.

The orders taken is impossible to find - I have tried to assess but can only surmise numbers based on estimated journo articles.

I was trying to work out what order number I was likely to be having placed mine in mid April and I hedged me bet on being in the first 7000 and hoping for first 6500.

dingobreath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT orange
based on the 6000 limit for the first year (some of which are MY17 models, id say that when they do a mid cycle design refresh in the middle of 2017 (for the MY18) then we should have about 10000 mustangs that look like the ones we have on our streets now.

Anything extra will be the newer design next year. I am still hoping that the Challenger and Camaro come out here too. Maybe Ford will give Australian buyers more options if that happens like the GT350 or GT500 (rumoured).
Sponsored