Cracked windscreen (UK) - Now Repaired

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 V8 GT Auto Fastback Black
Soon into ownership I managed to chip my Mustang windscreen right in the middle of the driver position and due to the depth of the chip Autoglass couldn't make an invisible repair. Very annoying.

I drove this morning and wasn't aware of anything new but the bad news (or possibly good news) is that I came out this evening and there is a new low central impact point making a multi pointed star with a proper crack which is stretching it's way upwards and across the drivers side.

I did hear something hit a few days ago - I ducked - but I couldn't see any damage at the time.

So I now need to source a replacement windscreen. The Direct Line windscreen service is provided by Autoglass. Does anyone know if I'm going to have difficulty getting a genuine Ford windscreen with the central shading and Ford logo?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Leeroy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 FJG manual/'65 289 Coupe
Gutted for you, we had 3 on our cars in as many months:mad:

Don't know about windscreens but given the numerous issues on here where Ford can't seem to get the most basic of Mustang parts, I wouldn't hold your breath:frusty:

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I think [MENTION=8733]MoZ[/MENTION] may have had a replacement.

Sponsored

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
Get on to auto glass, it's for them to sort and they are probably better at it than Ford right now. Good luck. My Chrysler 300 was no prob and there were more variations than the UK Mustang and I think there are already more Mustangs here than 300c.

OP
OP
Actual

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Think the main issue was the vin cut out being on the wrong side.
VIN cut out :)

I asked here because as always there is more to think about and get right.

I've booked Autoglass for Wednesday. Added a note to say it is UK Ford Mustang RHD and asking for a new Windscreen centre shading, Ford logo and VIN window on right. I will report back.

Last edited:

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Make sure it's the correct acoustic glass, too.

McXtravert

Threads
Reaction score
Cambridgeshire, formerly Aberdeen, Scotland
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Competition Orange
I think [MENTION=8733]MoZ[/MENTION] may have had a replacement.
surely by now he will have! That was a cracker of a crack... pardon the pun.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Actual

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Update:

I used their website and booked Autoglass for tomorrow and as I'm insured with Direct Line I paid my £75 excess online there and then and I also specified in the comments that I wanted a full Mustang windscreen with Ford logo etc.

Later I had a message to call Autoglass and when I got though I was asked if I wanted "their" glass or OEM glass but they didn't know the difference or the prices so they would get back to me.

In the meantime I asked my dealer for a price. A Ford windscreen will cost £1190 + VAT (£1428.00) and this is for part only and I must say I was not at all surprised.

Autoglass have now called back. They didn't exactly call to answer my questions as I will explain. The gist of it is that Autoglass do not have a "their" glass so they are ordering one from Ford so as she said I am "very lucky". The fitting is booked for the end of next week.

I didn't discuss prices with Autoglass and I don't need to as I have already paid the £75.00 excess.

I expect if they had a "their" glass then I would be obliged to have it or else pay full price for a Ford windscreen.

I wonder how the UK market for replacement windscreens really works? The Direct Line excess is £75.00 and it doesn't affect my no claims bonus but insurance companies are in it to make a profit and so are Autoglass. Maybe the average replacement windscreen costs a lot less than £75.00. I wonder who is picking up the slack in this job does the deal with Direct Line putting so much business towards Autoglass mean that in this case Autoglass is out of pocket?

Hopefully it will all get sorted but a lot can happen in a week.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Interesting. Do we have the right to insist on OEM parts? I know insurers don't necessarily use new parts nowadays. The standard Ford part seems to have a reputation for being a little lightweight, from reading the forums.

Regarding the Direct Line/Autoglass arrangement; I assume Autoglass do the work at a significant reduction over their "retail" price. Direct Line pay less than they might otherwise and Autoglass make less profit on the deal.

OP
OP
Actual

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
The standard Ford part seems to have a reputation for being a little lightweight
I have a theory. I didn't chip or crack my Focus windscreen but I'm driving significantly faster in the Mustang. :)

Direct Line pay less than they might otherwise and Autoglass make less profit on the deal.
I have another theory. It doesn't make sense for insurance companies to cover windscreens at a possible loss. The cover is only valid if Autoglass do the work so by directing all work towards Autoglass the cost on average may be less than the £75.00 excess and it never costs Direct Line more than the excess.

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
I've got a theory, insurance companies and auto glass etc are robbing bastards.

I've had 1 windscreen replaced on a car in 35 years of owning and driving a car, at the same time there's also part of the cost included in your insurance premium, every year, plus an excess if you happen to claim.

Multiply this by the millions of drivers who don't ever have a damaged windscreen every year and you might find that it's a lucrative business.

Only a theory mind, the robbing bastards bit is true though :D

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
You could be on to something there...
Sponsored