Sponsored

After Oil Change, No A/C?

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
I took my Mustang in for its first oil change a week ago at the dealership. Since then, my A/C hasn't been working.

It blows and the A/C light comes on as it should, but the air has no cooling at all. None.

I'm taking it back to the dealership Saturday so they can look into it, but before then I wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen.

I can't see how an oil change would have anything to do with the A/C in anyway, and maybe it's a coincidence that the A/C on my still pretty new car is malfunctioning right after the first service.

So... Any other A/C problems yet for anyone, and if so have they coincided with service?

I'm lucky it's not a daily driver, since it's breaking 100° every day in Texas right now.

2016 EcoBoost PP Auto.
Sponsored

Schism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Perf
I would guess that one of the "mechanics" knocked something loose or punctured part of the system?
Last time I took a vehicle in to get an oil change--I discovered the oil-fill cap and dipstick were missing the next day. Been 20 years since I've had it "professionally" done

OP
OP
Ground Speed

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
I would guess that one of the "mechanics" knocked something loose or punctured part of the system?
Last time I took a vehicle in to get an oil change--I discovered the oil-fill cap and dipstick were missing the next day. Been 20 years since I've had it "professionally" done
I'd do it myself too probably but I don't have a place to do it. Hopefully the dealership fesses up if it's their fault.

Schism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Perf
Yeah, I couldn't imagine doing it in a tight parking/apartment/street setting

ibinubu12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang 2.3L Premium MT82 EB PP
There have been some A/C failures reported over in the issues thread - it could be that it is just a coincidence. I doubt some dealer tech could confuse any part of the A/C system for an oil drain plug.

Sponsored

A7mad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT
My AC completely failed at 31250 miles. Had all AC components replaced. Others online have also reported premature AC failures.

Visually check your AC compressor clutch. When mine went bad, I could see burned rubber parts protruding from it.

OP
OP
Ground Speed

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
My AC completely failed at 31250 miles. Had all AC components replaced. Others online have also reported premature AC failures.

Visually check your AC compressor clutch. When mine went bad, I could see burned rubber parts protruding from it.
I checked all components that i could see without removing anything, and so no damage. I also checked the grille and so no rock damage.

The fuse is upside down in the fuse box but I'm pretty sure they can be flipped over.

I'm taking it in tomorrow and will report in after that.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
The car is under warranty they'll fix it, just get a loaner if you can!

OP
OP
Ground Speed

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
The verdict is a faulty evaporator case which led to the Freon leaking out. The guy at the dealership said mine was the "fourth or fifth low mileage Mustang" he has seen for this.

The part is 6-8 weeks back ordered, so I'll just keep it parked until they call with the part... i.e. probably the rest of the summer. I will take a few occasional drives so it doesn't sit too long.

My concern is if the OEM part is faulty by design, putting in another OEM part might just buy me 5,000 more miles. Oh well.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ground Speed

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
6-8 weeks ? they offer an explanation ?
No explanation, but the implication was that this is a pretty common failure.

I'm hoping they make a revision to the parts that are failing so that replacing them actually solved the problem instead of resetting how much time you have before it fails again.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Can you push for an explanation ? Ford should be able to deliver the part within a week. 6-8 week back order for an A/C part is unacceptable.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
No explanation, but the implication was that this is a pretty common failure.

I'm hoping they make a revision to the parts that are failing so that replacing them actually solved the problem instead of resetting how much time you have before it fails again.
The evaporator coil?

You can get a complete kit from cj pony parts.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-racing-air-conditioning-kit-5-0l-coyote-engine/p/M8600M50AC/

Buy it and make them reimburse you!!!
That's not the complete system and what is for sale there doesn't have the part he neefs unfortunately.

OP
OP
Ground Speed

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
Update: The dealership called and said they got the part, so I'm taking my car in Monday to get it fixed. Total time to get part was less than a week. I told him I was surprised because he said 6 to 8 weeks and he said "I'm as surprised as you are."

I also asked if the install would damage my windshield tint since they have to remove the dash. He assured me it wouldn't. Here's hoping.
Sponsored