Sponsored

Five exhausts later, I've found the perfect match.

D.Brown

Save the Manuels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
15' GT
I just wanted to create this thread for anyone who is struggling to find an exhaust that is both civil, and aggressive when need be. I'm going to write a thorough review on my experience and hope that this aides even the most analytical of people.

Shortly after picking up my 2015 Mustang GT (Base model with 3.31 gears) from the dealership, I knew that I just had to do something with the exhaust. For most of us on the forums, a stock exhaust is never really in the plans anyway. Being a new car, I knew I wanted to go with something that would do it justice. The FRPP X-Pipe seemed like the perfect middle ground for me. I wasn't exactly wrong in this aspect. The X-Pipe provided a much needed growl and really gave it an aggressive tone without being overly invasive. More on this later. After driving with it for a month, the rasp created from the X-Pipe paired with the stock mufflers was just too annoying for my taste. Back to stock.

I then began the next chapter in searching for an exhaust that suited what I was seeking. A little more volume, and a lot less rasp. After some youtube watching I found an MBRP for sale on Craigslist at a very affordable price and decided to pull the trigger. While this had the nice low tone I was looking for, the WOT exhaust noise was absolutely unbearable. Some people say that this was alleviated with the addition of headers, but I was unwilling to take the chance. Off it came, back on went the stock.

After riding around stock for a little while, I decided to throw the X-Pipe back on just for shits and giggles. I could put up with it for the time being. While still continuing my search for the perfect exhaust, I came across a deal I couldn't pass up. After more craigslist browsing I scored an SCT Tuner and JLT Intake along with a free OEM GT Strut bar. Upon picking it up, we started talking about exhausts and the seller said that he had a magnaflow street setup he was willing to part with for $100. I couldn't say no. After installing the Magnaflow street catback I was elated with the tone and the civil capabilities it retained. Once the weather turned and I could no longer drive with my windows down, I noticed a tiny bit of drone. Being the super OCD person I am, I absolutely couldn't stand it after a month of driving with my windows up, it was far too invasive (there's that word again) so I began my search one more time.

I have to give a lot of credit to Mustang6G and Hypermotive for their extensive reviews on the Corsa Catback's that are available for our cars. I ended up working out a deal with another member on here for their used Corsa Sport Catback and promptly installed it while giving away my Magnaflow setup to a friend of mine. At first I couldn't believe how loud it was, and thought I had made a big mistake. After the initial shock wore off, and I got used to the visceral, soul eating amazingness that is the Corsa Sport, I couldn't help but notice how ridiculously quiet the car was in the cabin. I almost couldn't believe it and thought something was wrong. I've now been driving the car for a week and have logged quite a few miles, both cruising and WOT, and all I can say is that if you're nit-picky like I am, this exhaust will satisfy every one of your needs. Around town the car is throaty and turns heads with ease. At WOT the car most definitely sounds exotic, and to me, puts this exhaust in a league of it's own. Again, there is absolutely ZERO in cabin drone, and with the radio on I can't hear it at all. I can't speak for the Corsa Extreme, but I can tell you right now, if you're on the fence about the Corsa Sport catback, JUST DO IT.
Sponsored

Last edited:

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
I've said this before, but if you're picky about exhausts, spend the extra money and go with the top tier exhaust manufacturers like Borla or Corsa. You really can't go wrong with either one of them.

And if you really can't spend that kind of dough, Solo Performance also makes fantastic sounding exhausts at a lower price point.

Pay a little more once, instead of a lot more later.

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
Thanks for the write up:) Glad you're enjoying the Corsa!

MustangShadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang GT
I've said this before, but if you're picky about exhausts, spend the extra money and go with the top tier exhaust manufacturers like Borla or Corsa. You really can't go wrong with either one of them.

And if you really can't spend that kind of dough, Solo Performance also makes fantastic sounding exhausts at a lower price point.

Pay a little more once, instead of a lot more later.
Seconded. I have a Ford Racing Borla Sport that I'm extremely happy with.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I like your determination. For me, is it loud? Yes it is. We are done.

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I did a ton of research and it came down to Borla S-Type and the Corsa Sport. Even after I hit the submit button I wasn't sure because I liked both a lot.

I got the Corsa, and it sounds great. Loud when you want it, and controllable when you don't. Definitely worth it.

OP
OP
D.Brown

D.Brown

Save the Manuels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
15' GT
I did a ton of research and it came down to Borla S-Type and the Corsa Sport. Even after I hit the submit button I wasn't sure because I liked both a lot.

I got the Corsa, and it sounds great. Loud when you want it, and controllable when you don't. Definitely worth it.
The only reason I didn't consider the Borla S-Type was that it sounded too much like a truck exhaust to me.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
corsa ftw. monster within.

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
The only reason I didn't consider the Borla S-Type was that it sounded too much like a truck exhaust to me.
It has a deeper note for sure, but I couldn't tell if I'd be able to live with it. When I had my old Fox body 5.0 cars, it was Flowmaster all day. But the drone.. Corsa did a great job of engineering it out and it was brought up in review after review about "no drone." I heard it from Borla, too. But not as often.

Sponsored

Nick71692

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP Mustang
not quite as extreme as you, but I also searched and tried many times...started with roush axle backs and while it sounded good, wasn't loud enough. Installed an h-pipe and loved the sound from 1-3500rpm, but after that it was annoying.

Next went the xpipe route with the roush but still didn't like it.

Finally after much review I decided to go with the Solo performance mach thunder...getting installed tomorrow.

2L8IWON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Awesome write up. Does the sport have any rasp or cracking under hard acceleration? One thing I've noticed as I hear S550s pull off, under throttle, is their cars sound like old pickup trucks running exhausts through chain link fence posts...

I wish there was a better tool out there than youtube to sample each system.

- Jesse

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop
I got the solo mach thunder catback, its prefect imo. no drone and excellent aggressive tone when you get down on it.

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
I was undecided as well. I went with the Borla S type. I love the sound. no drone. Loud when i get on it, quite on the highway. i pared it with ARH headers and X pipe. sound is amazing and a lot cheaper then Corsa. Hypermotive hooked me up with everything. follow me on instagram if you want to hear it. [MENTION=22087]Black[/MENTION]milks550

david borla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just to clarify, for those who feel that we're not direct enough about this - our exhaust systems for all 2015+ Mustangs are drone-free, they do not drone and have absolutely no drone whatsoever.

There's no drone in any gear or at any RPM, up hills etc. Left foot brake if you want, you can't make our systems for the 2015+ Mustangs drone even if you try.

We even offer a 3" system specifically designed to tune the drone out of any Long Tube Headers.

If you want to discuss this with me in person for any reason send me an email at [email protected] or call the direct line to my office at 805.246.6067.

Cheers
Sponsored