Torsen Differential and Mini-Spare tire

BC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP, Guard
The Ford mini-spare can be used on the Mustang GT PP with Torsen differential, without doing damage to the Torsen.
I contacted Torsen about this question and they were nice enough to email a reply.
See below:

Sent:
Monday, January 04, 2016 5:15 AM
Subject: RE: 2015 Mustang GT with Torsen T2

Bob,

Thanks for your interest in Torsen. Although Ford does not package the Torsen together with an available minispare tire from the factory, we have been used in many applications with minispare tires elsewhere. In one particular application, the spare was about 25% smaller than the standard tire, so the 2” size difference that the Ford spare has should not be a problem. Assuming you stay within the limitations of the spare tire, you will not cause any damage to the Torsen differential.

Rick Barnes

JTEKT Torsen North America, Inc.
Rochester, NY
www.torsen.info/home.htm
585-464-5028
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
You can always swap the front tire to the back tho.

OP
OP

BC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
You can always swap the front tire to the back tho.
If you have GT with Performance Pack the spare will not fit on the front over the Brembos.
It is true if you have a rear flat you can put the front tire on the rear but what will you put on the front?

Mainly I just wanted to post the fact that Torsen says no damage will occur using the Ford mini spare.

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
The Ford mini-spare can be used on the Mustang GT PP with Torsen differential, without doing damage to the Torsen.
I contacted Torsen about this question and they were nice enough to email a reply.
See below:

Sent:
Monday, January 04, 2016 5:15 AM
Subject: RE: 2015 Mustang GT with Torsen T2

Bob,

Thanks for your interest in Torsen. Although Ford does not package the Torsen together with an available minispare tire from the factory, we have been used in many applications with minispare tires elsewhere. In one particular application, the spare was about 25% smaller than the standard tire, so the 2” size difference that the Ford spare has should not be a problem. Assuming you stay within the limitations of the spare tire, you will not cause any damage to the Torsen differential.

Rick Barnes

JTEKT Torsen North America, Inc.
Rochester, NY
www.torsen.info/home.htm
585-464-5028

So this is saying you can use a donut "minispare" on the GT PP (front OR rear?) without it damaging anything??

Thanks

-Emt1581

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have GT with Performance Pack the spare will not fit on the front over the Brembos.
It is true if you have a rear flat you can put the front tire on the rear but what will you put on the front?

Mainly I just wanted to post the fact that Torsen says no damage will occur using the Ford mini spare.
So Torsen said the Minispare will not damage the car (differential)...but the minispare doesn't fit either PP wheel due to the Brembo....?

What am I missing here?

-Emt1581

Sponsored

OP
OP

BC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
So this is saying you can use a donut "minispare" on the GT PP (front OR rear?) without it damaging anything??

Thanks

-Emt1581
This is in regards to the Ford mini-spare used on the rear only, and only on GT PP which uses the Torsen rear differential. Torsen said no damage will occur up to 25% difference in diameter, and as long as you follow the rules of the spare itself (no prolonged mileage and stay under 50 mph) then no damage will occur.

This does not concern the front wheels at all, but as we know the min-spare will not fit over the Brembo brakes on the front wheels for GT with Performance Pack. However, the mini-spare will fit on all 4 wheels for the GT's that are non-performance pack.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
So Torsen said the Minispare will not damage the car (differential)...but the minispare doesn't fit either PP wheel due to the Brembo....?

What am I missing here?

-Emt1581
It won't fit the front of the PP model due to the 6 piston Brembos.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OP
OP

BC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)

What am I missing here?

-Emt1581
Only the front wheels of the GT with performance pack have the Brembo's.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
So in a REAL emergency with a flat front tire on a PP, you might move the rear to the front, put the mini-spare on the rear, and drive carefully to avoid rubbing the slightly larger rear tire in front. Unless you hit a big bump and/or turned full lock, it would probably be a lot better than being stranded.

At least Torsen confirmed it's NOT a tire or wheel diameter issue.

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is in regards to the Ford mini-spare used on the rear only, and only on GT PP which uses the Torsen rear differential. Torsen said no damage will occur up to 25% difference in diameter, and as long as you follow the rules of the spare itself (no prolonged mileage and stay under 50 mph) then no damage will occur.

This does not concern the front wheels at all, but as we know the min-spare will not fit over the Brembo brakes on the front wheels for GT with Performance Pack. However, the mini-spare will fit on all 4 wheels for the GT's that are non-performance pack.
Got it, and that's why Jason mentioned about swapping front to back.

So essentially, if the rear wheel of a GT PP gets a flat...the minispare will fit. If the front wheel of that car gets a flat, swap one of the rears to the front and then use the mini-spare on the rear.

If I'm getting it now, cool.

I know it came from the horses mouth and all but I can't imagine two different sizes tires on both the front AND back of the car wouldn't screw something up with Torsen or otherwise.

Thanks for sharing!

-Emt1581

Sponsored
OP
OP

BC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Got it, and that's why Jason mentioned about swapping front to back.
So essentially, if the rear wheel of a GT PP gets a flat...the minispare will fit. If the front wheel of that car gets a flat, swap one of the rears to the front and then use the mini-spare on the rear.

If I'm getting it now, cool.

I know it came from the horses mouth and all but I can't imagine two different sizes tires on both the front AND back of the car wouldn't screw something up with Torsen or otherwise.

Thanks for sharing!
-Emt1581
Unfortunately the GT PP rear 9.5 " wide wheels have a different offset from front wheels so you need a spacer for the rear 19x9.5 wheels to fit on the front. The rear PP wheels do not clear the front Brembos.

It's like this:
Non-Performance Pack comes with standard disc brakes on all 4 wheels.
The Ford mini-spare will fit all 4 wheel locations on GT's without Performance Pack.

Performance Pack comes with Brembo brakes on front discs and standard disc brakes on rear.
Performance Pack comes with 19x9 on front and 19x9.5 on rear.

1) The 19x9.5 rear PP wheels will not fit on the front location because they don't clear the Brembo's. They do clear with use of a spacer.

2) The front PP wheels fit on the front over the Brembo's and they also fit on the rear.

3) The Ford Mini-spare tire will only fit the rear wheel locations on GT's with Performance Pack. They will not fit the front locations.

So let's say you have a GT with Performance Pack and you buy the Ford Mini-Spare. If you have a flat on the rear you can put the mini-spare on the rear.

If you have a flat on the front you cannot put the mini-spare on front location. Your only option with this setup is to put a spacer on front, install your rear wheel to the front and install the mini-spare on the rear.
But remember in this setup you need to carry that spacer with you.

Or you could do what I did, trade the 2 19x9.5 rear wheels for 2 19x9 front wheels, which gives you squared 19x9 setup.
If I have a flat on the front I still have to move the rear wheel to the front and use the mini-spare on the rear, but since I have all 4 19x9 PP wheels I don't need spacers for the front.

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately the GT PP rear 9.5 " wide wheels have a different offset from front wheels so you need a spacer for the rear 19x9.5 wheels to fit on the front. The rear PP wheels do not clear the front Brembos.

It's like this:
Non-Performance Pack comes with standard disc brakes on all 4 wheels.
The Ford mini-spare will fit all 4 wheel locations on GT's without Performance Pack.

Performance Pack comes with Brembo brakes on front discs and standard disc brakes on rear.
Performance Pack comes with 19x9 on front and 19x9.5 on rear.

1) The 19x9.5 rear PP wheels will not fit on the front location because they don't clear the Brembo's. They do clear with use of a spacer.

2) The front PP wheels fit on the front over the Brembo's and they also fit on the rear.

3) The Ford Mini-spare tire will only fit the rear wheel locations on GT's with Performance Pack. They will not fit the front locations.

So let's say you have a GT with Performance Pack and you buy the Ford Mini-Spare. If you have a flat on the rear you can put the mini-spare on the rear.

If you have a flat on the front you cannot put the mini-spare on front location. Your only option with this setup is to put a spacer on front, install your rear wheel to the front and install the mini-spare on the rear.
But remember in this setup you need to carry that spacer with you.

Or you could do what I did, trade the 2 19x9.5 rear wheels for 2 19x9 front wheels, which gives you squared 19x9 setup.
If I have a flat on the front I still have to move the rear wheel to the front and use the mini-spare on the rear, but since I have all 4 19x9 PP wheels I don't need spacers for the front.
Oh ok, so on the PP cars...

Spare on rear is fine, rear on front is fine with a spacer. Definitely solves the issue of being mobile in the event of a flat. But on a trip, doing 50mph (meaning hazards are on the whole way home), and then not going over a certain distance limitation (usually 50miles or so on a spare)....not sure how helpful that will be in the long run. Also, not sure how much spacers are but the spare tire kit looks to be a consistent $250!!

I know we've talked before about the swap you did, but like I said, I'm not sure how much of what you did worked out due to pure luck vs. the capability any of us have. It's not like buying a part online. You have to find someone nearby with the same exact model of car that's willing to swap and end up with the exact opposite of what you want.

EDIT 2: I found this in a reply on another Mustang forum. Finiding this seems about as likely as finding a fellow 2015 GT PP owner willing to swap 2 wheels but.....

"On a hunch I ordered a spare tire and wheel found on E-bay that was from a 2013 Hyundai Equus. It has a nice 19" alloy wheel with a T155/70R19 tire and it fits very nicely over the Brembos without using any spacers. I did have to open up the center / hub hole in the wheel about 3mm and get five lug nuts and washers as the wheel takes a flat lug nut /washer type fastener. It fits in the spare well but is just a little on the tight side. If I had a email address for you I'd be glad to send some pics if you want to see it."

EDIT: Again, ZERO experience with spacers, and short term (as would be the case with using a spare, I'm guessing it'll be fine), but this video seems to explain, that at the very least, a spacer on one wheel would put added stress on the bearing/suspension.

[ame]

Thanks

-Emt1581

Last edited:

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I may buy a spare tire/wheel sized for the front and put it in the trunk. Yes it won't fit in the well but it would fit all 4 corners, right? Rare is the time I would take this car anywhere overnight but if I did, small bags could be put in the side of the trunk or in the back seat.

OP
OP

BC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I may buy a spare tire/wheel sized for the front and put it in the trunk. Yes it won't fit in the well but it would fit all 4 corners, right? Rare is the time I would take this car anywhere overnight but if I did, small bags could be put in the side of the trunk or in the back seat.
Yes GT PP 19x9 wheel fits all 4 corners.
I thought about doing that too but decided on the mini spare to keep it in vehicle always and out of the way.

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes GT PP 19x9 wheel fits all 4 corners.
I thought about doing that too but decided on the mini spare to keep it in vehicle always and out of the way.
I'm not sure what the cheapest rim/tire would be, but I'd feel MUCH better having a full sized spare in my trunk or at least garage and buying the 19x9 definitely seems like the way to go.

Then all you need is a cheap scissor jack, lug wrench and if it makes you feel better jack stand(s) and no need for a tow truck or driving very slow for only up to a short distance as with the donut.

EDIT: So yeah, 19" doesn't seem to be used on any beater vehicles. A quick craigslist search shows this to be a $500...just for the wheel/tire...option.

-Emt1581
Sponsored