Sponsored

How-To: Remove front bumper and headlights (US and EU model)

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
IMPORTANT: If you don't see the images, try installing this chrome extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...ed-fix/naolkcpnnlofnnghnmfegnfnflicjjgj?hl=it
It's a temporary solution until I have time to upload pictures to some other hosting site. Thank you!

Hi guys,
I just removed headlights to get tribar drls installed (FYI 'rest of the world models come without tribar drls..) so I search for some video tutorials. I found a couple with mixed information so I thought I can integrate those info with some pictures.

Don't know if these two guys are M6G members..!

[ame]

This video is ok, you can watch only the first 6:45 min that explain how to remove front bumper.

Another great video here:

[ame]

It's not hard, but there are two 7mm bolts, one per side, that will keep you busy for long time. Be careful NOT to do as the second video explains, simply pull bumper without removing these bolts because you will broke the clips.

Here are my addition to those videos.

First of all, if you can, put your car on jack stands. Front will be higher so you can easily reach screws under the bumper.

Remove the pull tabs on the upper cover

Inside the wheel well, in addition to the 3 pull tabs mentioned in the videos, do yourself a favour and remove all the tabs you can see!! This will help you a lot on pulling apart the well cover and reaching the damn 7mm bolt.

I removed the other 3 pull tabs

That bolt is so well hidden that I haven't got it in this picture, but this is the area

After that you can remove the upper bolts, don't forget the two hidden by the rubber

Bottom side: you don't need to remove all the screws, especially the most forward ones since these only keep in position the splitter.
Sorry for the bad pictures here, but even with car on jack stands it's not easy.
You should remove these two pull tabs on one side

remove these two 7mm bolts

and two pull tabs on the other side

another bolt, one per side

and the four screws in those deep squares (sorry no pic)

You're almost done: now you can pull the bumper from both sides, insert a hand in the fender well and disconnect turn, position and fog lights. Then lift from the front and pull the bumper apart.

ATTENTION EURO GUYS! We have one more connector, you can see at the center of the next picture, that is for pedestrian safety sensors :doh: and have a very short cable.
You should disconnect this before removing the bumper.

Now bumper is removed, if this is you goal, you're done!

If you need to remove headlights, it's easy: remove the three 13mm bolts that you can see around the headlight housing (picture don't show the third one, on the right)

Disconnect the power connector from the back
(EURO GUYS we have a second connector for headlights height adjusting)
and pull the housing apart.
Pay attention to the metal clip near the upper bolt, don't lose it! (you can see at the center of this picture)

Done! Your headlights are removed :clap2:

Hope this is of help for someone :cool:
Sponsored

Last edited:

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
Do you have a video or advice on how to open the headlights up?

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
I can't be of help about opening, it seems out of my ability so I sent them to be professionally opened. Also the installer said it's a bit difficult to open so it will cut open on the side to install the drl leds.

friendgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great writing mate!

Did you disconnect the battery prior to remove cables?

P.S.it is a chance to replace the intercooler as well..... ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
No, I didn't disconnect battery. No risk of electrical damage until now (I only disconnect connectors)
ATM I have no plans for intercooler :D

Sponsored

friendgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Papinist could you please edit some photos and draw arrows to point out the pull tabs and the bolts especially the hidden ones? Thanks in advance.

2L8IWON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Great write up, very useful

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Papinist could you please edit some photos and draw arrows to point out the pull tabs and the bolts especially the hidden ones? Thanks in advance.
Sure, I'll do it when I finish putting back my car :D

friendgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Also let us know which tool did you use to pull out the pull-tabs which are located within a holes (i.e. at the plastic cover at top of the bumper)

Sponsored
OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
I simply used one (or two) flat head screwdrivers :)

M3Convert

American Muscle Noob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
Remember the bolts hidden under the rubber! Ask me how I know...the plastic is soft enough to tear!

Also, an angled socket wrench makes the wheel-well screws much, much easier to remove.

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
I can't see any of the images now? Is there another guide on how to do this?

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately photobucket broken all the linked images and asked 400 usd\year for it.
I hope they go bankruptcy in a heartbeat, but in the meantime all pictures are gone :-\

I need to move pictures to some other hosting site and link again all of those..

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Why don't you upload them on the m6g servers and link them directly from there. At least that's what I do :shrug:

This is a very useful thread and it's nice to have all those photos in place. You 've done a great job with this step by step guide.
Sponsored