Sponsored

Ecoboost warrantied power unlock?

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
"It would be a treat to pair the Mustang’s full dynamic potential with the least-expensive engine, particularly since that engine is actually good, but that doesn’t fit Ford’s marketing scheme. The House of EcoBoost has acknowledged the 2.3-liter engine’s shortcomings to a degree and is working on a software fix to unlock more power that customers will be upgraded to under warranty in the coming months. "

:shrug::clap2:

I hope this is accurate!

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-ford-mustang-ecoboost-convertible-test-review
Sponsored

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
"It would be a treat to pair the Mustang’s full dynamic potential with the least-expensive engine, particularly since that engine is actually good, but that doesn’t fit Ford’s marketing scheme. The House of EcoBoost has acknowledged the 2.3-liter engine’s shortcomings to a degree and is working on a software fix to unlock more power that customers will be upgraded to under warranty in the coming months. "

:shrug::clap2:

I hope this is accurate!

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-ford-mustang-ecoboost-convertible-test-review
Thats very interesting. Maybe the Ford Performance tune?

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
I'll believe it when I see it. Author may be getting the Ford Racing Tune (which I don't believe we'll even see by the end of the year) with something else .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommy556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I4
By then everyone with an Ecoboost will have a tune anyways.

OP
OP
e30og

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll believe it when I see it. Author may be getting the Ford Racing Tune (which I don't believe we'll even see by the end of the year) with something else .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
me too

C/D covered the Ford Racing tune and its associated warranty already a while ago. Hope this is true if it is included in the warranty

Sponsored

~X~

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Is the Ecoboost convertible's added weight really that much of a factor to slow down their 0-60 times or do these guys just suck at driving? Maybe their car was on 87 octane :shrug:

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Yeah it's just the Focus RS tune
The engines are IDENTICAL ford Just wanted to leave more breathing room between the EB and the GT, to not cannibalize sales to people that were on the fence. (I know most GT owners here were never on the fence) Now they have to uncork it, or explain to alot of customers why the same engine makes more power in a hatchback!

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
The engines are IDENTICAL ford Just wanted to leave more breathing room between the EB and the GT, to not cannibalize sales to people that were on the fence. (I know most GT owners here were never on the fence) Now they have to uncork it, or explain to alot of customers why the same engine makes more power in a hatchback!
Thaaat's right.

OP
OP
e30og

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Speculation or do you know something?

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ford stated in the Focus RS press release that the differences for the RS was a revised turbo flange design, cylinder head design, and i think a different turbo.

Sponsored
OP
OP
e30og

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Versus that version of the engine, the RS’s features a larger turbo compressor, a larger intercooler, a freer-flowing intake, and a bigger-diameter performance exhaust system with an active valve in the tailpipe. (You can hear it in this hype video.) The head uses a different aluminum alloy capable of withstanding higher temperatures, and the cylinders have stronger cast-iron liners. There’s also a mega-size radiator."

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
"Versus that version of the engine, the RS’s features a larger turbo compressor, a larger intercooler, a freer-flowing intake, and a bigger-diameter performance exhaust system with an active valve in the tailpipe. (You can hear it in this hype video.) The head uses a different aluminum alloy capable of withstanding higher temperatures, and the cylinders have stronger cast-iron liners. There’s also a mega-size radiator."
Maybe C&D is talking about the Ford Performance tune.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
"Versus that version of the engine, the RS’s features a larger turbo compressor,
That would be nice, will probably make it on to the Mustang soon.

a larger intercooler, a freer-flowing intake, and a bigger-diameter performance exhaust system with an active valve in the tailpipe.
The stock Mustang intercooler is garbage anyway, I'll qote MAPerformance in saying 'only suitable for beating whoever decided to put it in there on the Head" and freer flowing intakes and Exhausts ate not part of the engine per se and IMHO, as a former automotive engineering student, (not an expert by any means but I do know quite a bit more than the layman) Deliberate bottlenecks to increase the spread between the Eco and GT, Sort of like Porsche hobbles the Cayman to keep the distance greater to the more expensive 911.

(You can hear it in this hype video.) The head uses a different aluminum alloy capable of withstanding higher temperatures, and the cylinders have stronger cast-iron liners. There’s also a mega-size radiator."
So i haven't heard of Ecoboosts melting down or having problems with the cylinder liners, map is running 500 whp on their's and waiting for it to pop but it seems to be holding up well.

Remember this was the 2.3's first year of production and it is absolutely normal for small improvements to be made during the life of all engines. This just sound like FORD doing a good job of spinning normal engine lifecycle development as "major upgrades".

As shown by all the Great companies we have here, a tune alone will have the stock ecoboost pushing equal or greater numbers than the RS

Lord Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT Mustang
The stock Mustang intercooler is garbage anyway, I'll qote MAPerformance in saying 'only suitable for beating whoever decided to put it in there on the Head" ...
The European spec cars have an improved (larger) intercooler standard, to support German Autobahn usage (driving long distances at 100MPH+). I guess it's one of the only good changes they made for us.