Sponsored

Trunk is hard to close

Nitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
Does anybody else have trouble shutting their trunk? If I don't forcefully shut it while holding the top of the trunk in the middle, then it won't latch. It usually takes me 2 tries to shut it.
Sponsored

GThunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT
It's normal. I've found that the more you use the trunk, the easier it will become to latch. Mine is at the point where it latches all the time with moderate force....or maybe it's because I've been working out hmmm.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Mine requires very little force.

It's the action of closing the trunk that makes me look like a fool. Can't touch the black panel that's a magnet to finger/palm prints and the rest of the trunk is so high.

EngineerDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, 401A + Extras, 98 F-250LD
Mine requires very little force.

It's the action of closing the trunk that makes me look like a fool. Can't touch the black panel that's a magnet to finger/palm prints and the rest of the trunk is so high.
So what's your technique? I use two fingers on each hand, pressing on the edges of the lower trunk while having it go down fast enough to latch.

Sponsored

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
Trunk lid and rear bumper problem

Does anybody else have trouble shutting their trunk? If I don't forcefully shut it while holding the top of the trunk in the middle, then it won't latch. It usually takes me 2 tries to shut it.
WATCH out!

If your trunk lid won't latch easily, please check your rear bumper.

I got one of the bad Mustangs with the "twisted" left body panels what goes all the way to the back. My trunk lid didn't close easy and after a while I did see marks on my rear bumper too. See picture. Marks all the way the lid covers the rear bumper. The lid did cut into the paint. I know from the body shop that the newer S197 had also a problem that the lid cut into the rear bumper.

Do we have to accept it? IMO no. Please take a look and watch closely where the lid is covering your rear bumper guys....
After the body shop worked on it the trunk lid closes better then before. Only saying. :gossip:

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
So what's your technique? I use two fingers on each hand, pressing on the edges of the lower trunk while having it go down fast enough to latch.
I kind of palm both sides of the black panel to get the trunk to come down then I bring my palms on the actual decklid to close it. It's like a throw down and catch... pretty sure I look ridiculous doing it.

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Mine usually takes 2-3 tries. Stupid.

gsxr1300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
make sure the wire isnt getting pinched when you close it, mine was.

Sponsored

15StangEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Mustang Ecoboost
I kind of palm both sides of the black panel to get the trunk to come down then I bring my palms on the actual decklid to close it. It's like a throw down and catch... pretty sure I look ridiculous doing it.
I don't like to palm it......I fist it lol:lol:

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
Dealer took care of this problem for me. Acts like any other car now. It's got resistance on the way down where before it was loose feeling. Closes without much force at all.

HiHoSilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Silver/black cloth/auto/355/foundry wheels
My trunk lid was very hard to close. I'm sure the dealer could fix it easily, But I have time so I adjusted it myself: as follows -- Open the trunk lid - remove the spare tire cover - remove the 4 thumb fasteners that hold the cover for the tail lights and trunk latch ( bolted to the body ) == carefully remove this cover because it also has several clips that help keep it in place -- loosen the two bolts holding the trunk latch to the body --- adjust the latch, cinch up the bolts --- carefully close the trunk lid --- I did this several times until I had the latch in the perfect spot and the trunk closed easily. I also told the sales manager at the dealership so he could help future customers with this problem.

HETPE3B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pony
My trunk lid was very hard to close. I'm sure the dealer could fix it easily, But I have time so I adjusted it myself: as follows -- Open the trunk lid - remove the spare tire cover - remove the 4 thumb fasteners that hold the cover for the tail lights and trunk latch ( bolted to the body ) == carefully remove this cover because it also has several clips that help keep it in place -- loosen the two bolts holding the trunk latch to the body --- adjust the latch, cinch up the bolts --- carefully close the trunk lid --- I did this several times until I had the latch in the perfect spot and the trunk closed easily. I also told the sales manager at the dealership so he could help future customers with this problem.
I did same thing to the hood, because I needed to slam it pretty hard to make it close (1ft drop wasn't enough). Now it's closing pretty good for Ford.

After you did adjust the latch - is the trunk still flush with the rear fenders? The hood got the rubber adjusters, what about the trunk?

xdarkox84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang 2015 v6

i just did what you said it worked out perfectly,anyone can do it under 10 minutes, it closes when it drops, no pressure,it was terrible before that, i made few pics to make it easier ,
1. after removing 4 fasteners pull upward because board is hooked in from above, use a little force.
a746016c758bfa2287af616eca326f3c.jpg

8ab316dcf7f2c5a8ff8ab2ec1ec19e9a.jpg

2. after that loosen two bolts just so you can slide latch upwards , just a hair, tighten it and close the trunk, if its not good enough, redo and bring latch little higher.
2f533f02bc8df9eb3a27416ffb6c015d.jpg

3. put everything back together and enjoy one trouble less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored