Sponsored

My Red Calipers

2015MagneticGt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Comp Orange
Dipped? Doesnt plastidip melt at 200 degrees?

Looks good nonetheless!

Farmundeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT Premium
looks good. Where'd you get it done if you don't mind me asking?

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
Dipped? Doesnt plastidip melt at 200 degrees?

Looks good nonetheless!
While I have not done it (yet) there are lots of people that have and it's been fine. I haven't seen any pictures or stories yet of it not holding up.

Sponsored

Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Not sure I'd go there to have any work done. Shop is not well organized, doing work on the sidewalk and to only be using jacks to hold the vehicle up. Just pointing out the obvious.

OH5GT 2 S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang Convertible, 2017 BMW X5, 2017 F150
All I have to say is, Infantry Sucks. Buncha GED, low GT score having, no hygien having clowns!!!!

:cheers:

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I would've just bought a can of G2 caliper paint in red and done them 1 caliper at a time with the spare tire jack and a brush for $20-30 total. G2 seems to self level and turn out shiny and smooth like a pro job from all accounts.

Dip on calipers is questionable. Every car's calipers get to different temps, and the Eco PP/regular GT brakes (same front calipers) may get hotter being 4 piston/bigger overall than normal brakes.

Rob00GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Ragtop
Why color not just the caliper but also the brake pad and supporting bracket?

Sponsored

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150
You seriously put Plastidip on your calipers? Wow...

Farmundeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT Premium
Thanks man, i've been looking for a local place that did this sort of work. Thinking of dipping my rims as well.

Not sure I'd go there to have any work done. Shop is not well organized, doing work on the sidewalk and to only be using jacks to hold the vehicle up. Just pointing out the obvious.
I wouldn't read too much into the fact that it's being done on the sidewalk. Space is extremely limited in NYC. You should have seen the muffler shop I visited a few months ago to have my catback re-tightened.

Dip on calipers is questionable. Every car's calipers get to different temps, and the Eco PP/regular GT brakes (same front calipers) may get hotter being 4 piston/bigger overall than normal brakes.
Do we know what temps the dip can typically withstand? I'd imagine they're exposed to significant heat when applied to the rims or hood of a car as well, no?

Shanghai Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Convertible in Race Red
Do we know what temps the dip can typically withstand? I'd imagine they're exposed to significant heat when applied to the rims or hood of a car as well, no?
Plastidip, as a volatized non vulcanized synthetic rubber (variant of an EPDM) is good to about 270-280 deg F. Brake calipers can get well above that temperature with heavy, sustained use - and can reach that with one hard panic stop.

Hoods and wheels, by virtue of the huge surface area relative to the heat input, will rarely get above 130-150 deg F. Considerably lower temperatures. If your hood got as hot as your brake calipers did, it would boil water or fry bacon.

I think you're really running a risk here, especially with the back of the brake pads dipped, which is where the heat will be highest. I'd pull the Plastidip off the brake pads at the very least - not sure I'd want melting rubber around those parts, seals, and gaps (wouldn't be good to get between the caliper and piston, for example - freeze up a piston).

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Yeh only 250-275 degrees. The calipers probably get hotter.

It would be worse cleaning off cemented on melted rubber than just painting them once the right way and be done with it.

Youngmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt DIB
Any problem with painting the back of the brake pads with G2 paint? Or should I avoid the brake pads
Sponsored