Sponsored

Lasik Anyone?

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
So I made an appointment today for an initial Lasik exam, I'm tired of wearing contacts and how they make my eyes feel at the end of the day.

Anyone else had this done?

Give me the good/bad/ugly please if you can.

My hardest part through all of this, is going to have to go without contacts for a few weeks because I am blind. My glasses are super thick, and it makes it harder to drive and work in front of computers all day.

But if I qualify and go through with it, it will all be worth it.:cool:
Sponsored

loonysup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium ingot silver w/ saddle leather
My wife had it done 13 years ago. Absolutely unbelievable. She was someone that couldn't get out of bed without glasses or contacts. The day after surgery she was driving like she had never worn glasses.

She went to MacGruder in Orlando. They were fantastic.

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Clink

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Awesome thanks David, I plan on using St. Luke's over here in either Tarpon or Clearwater, same doctors at both place so we'll see (pun intended!)

loonysup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium ingot silver w/ saddle leather
I couldn't remember where you were located in Central Florida. Best of luck to you, it's money well spent.

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badass03ragtop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2003 GT 'vert, 1973 Fastback
My wife also had it done 13 years ago....strange. It was great while it lasted, but at ten years, her vision started to diminsih again and she is now wearing glasses again.

The day after surgery, she was seeing better than she had since she was a kid, so you're worries about being blind for a while after the surgery is not something you should have any issues with! Asked if she would do it again, now, and she said yes. Unfortunately, she is no longer a good candidate.

About the surgery itself, she said it was a little freaky seeing the machine come toward her eyes, but once it started, no problems.

Sponsored

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
How old are you? I had lasik done about 6 years ago. I went to a lasik eye center instead of an eye doctor. They did a great job but I walked out needed reading glasses the first day. The doctor told me that's what happens at my age. I'm 51, had the surgery at 46 I think. So 5 years ago maybe. Anyway My only complaint was that they seemed more concerned with the lasik going well than my overall eye health. Had I the choice again I think I would stay with the contacts. When you're young it's great. As you get older then you might want to think about getting an opinion from a regular eye doctor. Just my 2 cents.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I have long tossed this idea around but have not taking the plunge yet. I am not blind like you are :). In for feedback as well.

Blindside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2019 F-250 Platinum
Had it done last year and wish I wouldn't have waited so long. Found the "Doctor's Doctor" and chose him. He wasn't the cheapest, but he was the best. I was about 20/100 before the surgery and I'm 20/15 now. Stay regimented on your drops and wearing your eye shields for 7-10 days after surgery to let your eyes heal properly. You'll have some halos around bright lights (ie. headlights, overhead lights, traffic lights) for about a month. You'll also have dry eyes for about a month. All of that goes away and you're left with crystal clear vision.

OP
OP
Clink

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I'm 33 and eyes haven't changed prescription in over 7+ years. Right now I'm about a -6.00 on prescription so I have to have an alarm clock next to my bed with HUGE NUMBERS so I can see lol..

Will see how the exam goes and if I don't get warm and fuzzy good feelings I can always wait and check out another place.

Oh and I coined the term "eyegasm" because that's how my eyes feel after I take my contacts out every night.

B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
I am envious of you folks who are good candidates for lasik.

A few years ago I checked with two different places and got the same "Nope" story from both. My eyes are just too jacked up. They can clear up things a bit but not enough for me to get away from glasses.

Sponsored

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
I am envious of you folks who are good candidates for lasik.

A few years ago I checked with two different places and got the same "Nope" story from both. My eyes are just too jacked up. They can clear up things a bit but not enough for me to get away from glasses.
Same here. They said they could get my distance fixed, but I'd still need reading glasses. What's the point then - I'll stick to my coke bottles or contacts. :)

2Cool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, PP in CO
Had mine done in 2001, went from so nearsighted I couldn't find my glasses on my dresser if the wife moved them, to 20/15.

I did lose some close up vision at the time, and since then have gotten far sighted to the point I carry reading glasses for anything close. I am happy with that trade.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Had my eyes zapped 3 years ago - was 23 at the time. I had glasses since I was 9 or 10. I can't even express in words how amazing it was to see without glasses. I left with 20/20 vision and had 20/15 the next day and that's where it settled.

Knowing how it feels now, it was the most valuable thing I think I've ever done for myself. If you get it done, go to sleep immediately afterwards! The pain once the numbing drops wear off is no joke.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
Years ago, I vaguely remember being told Lasik was not an option for my vision issues. Recently happen to be talking to a guy my age (61) that had his done maybe four years ago. He said he did tons of research. One Dr. wanted to physically cut and flop his eye surface open, months to heal, yada, yada. He went with a local very experienced Lasik laser Dr. The procedure took minutes per eye (no cutting) and his vision was immediately better than 20/20. I need to ask about this again!

Anyone recall what type of vision issue makes you 'not a candindate' for Lasik?

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Anyone recall what type of vision issue makes you 'not a candindate' for Lasik?
Generally the lens in your eye isn't thick enough. The technology works by using laser ablation to remove material from the lens to reshape it. There are other issues that can cause you to not be a candidate but that's the biggest I believe.
Sponsored