My custom CAI thread: Completed!

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Now that it has been all but confirmed that our 6 uses MAP, I feel confident enough to attempt a custom CAI. Today I bought an Airaid Cone filter (700-456). This is the same filter used on their 11-14 CAI. I will be reusing the stock ABS plastic plenum tube with the PCV connections. The stock diameter at its thickest point measures about 3.8" so I will be moving up to 4" from there to the filter. During testing I moved the filter to 4 different locations using the adapters/couplers that I had available to me. Pictures of each location are below. I recorded inlet air temps to determine which location would be the best to proceed with. An interesting thing to note, the IAT sensor was NOT in the stock airbox... It must be incorporated in the throttle body or the MAP sensor itself. Because of this IAT's read by the computer will be higher then actual IAT's at the filter.

Ambient air temp during testing: 65 degrees

Stock IAT at idle: 108 degrees

Stock IAT while moving: 90-92 degrees

Location 1

IAT while at idle: 108 degrees

IAT while moving 50mph: 97-99 degrees

Custom heat shield did reduce IAT's to around 93-95 degrees while moving.

Location 2

IAT while at idle: 106 degrees

IAT while moving 50mph: 95-97 degrees

Location 3

IAT while at idle: 105-107 degrees

IAT while moving 50mph: 93-96 degrees

Location 4

IAT while at idle: 104-106 degrees

IAT while moving 50mph: 87-92 degrees

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it looks like location 4 is the winner. Power increase was noticeable but not amazing by any means. Most of the gain felt like it was in low to mid range power. Next step is to buy tubing to create my final CAI!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: Completed!

See post 85: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=492424&postcount=85
Location 1.jpg
Location 2.jpg
Location 3.jpg
Location 4.jpg
IMG_0742.jpg
IMG_0743.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: DR_

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Can't wait to see/hear the results!

FireHive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang
Thank you for being the first one to attempt something.... again.

Can't wait to hear/see results.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for being the first one to attempt something.... again.

Can't wait to hear/see results.
Haha not a problem! As I said many times before... I am tired of waiting for aftermarket companies.... So anything I can make myself you better bet I will be doing! The filter looks like it will be here Monday so by this weekend I should hopefully have something done...!

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Just doing some data logging if you will today. Stock IAT's seem to be about 10-15 degrees above ambient air temp while moving. At idle IAT's can reach as high as 30 degrees above ambient after 10 min. So the goal for my CAI would be to at least match stock. Ultimate goal would be 5 degrees cooler then stock while moving.

Sponsored

FireHive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang
Just doing some data logging if you will today. Stock IAT's seem to be about 10-15 degrees above ambient air temp while moving. At idle IAT's can reach as high as 30 degrees above ambient after 10 min. So the goal for my CAI would be to at least match stock. Ultimate goal would be 5 degrees cooler then stock while moving.
Fair goal. The stock intake heatsoaks like a bitch.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Yea it is actually quite interesting at idle. With the hood open you can put your hand in the space between the engine (obviously away from the belts) and the intake tube and can feel a temperature differential line if you will. The air closest to the front of the vehicle is still close to ambient while the air closest to the engine (and where the stock air box sits) is quite warm.

FireHive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang
Yea it is actually quite interesting at idle. With the hood open you can put your hand in the space between the engine (obviously away from the belts) and the intake tube and can feel a temperature differential line if you will. The air closest to the front of the vehicle is still close to ambient while the air closest to the engine (and where the stock air box sits) is quite warm.
Interesting... This makes me curious because i am about to put on an RPI grille (just a GT grille with black mesh) and, according to your statement, things can go one or two ways.

1) more airflow will keep everything cooler

2) Negative pressure caused by extra airflow will make the air stagnate, raising temperature.

We shall see :)

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Let's hope the first possiblity! Haha be sure to post up some pictures once installed as well. ;)

FireHive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang
Of course!! I also ordered the tri bar running pony for the billet style grille of the old 2014 cars and i will be fitting that on too :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Of course!! I also ordered the tri bar running pony for the billet style grille of the old 2014 cars and i will be fitting that on too :)
Please tell me offset to the drivers side?? I love that style grille and think it would look great with the GT "fangs" in the grille.

FireHive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang
Please tell me offset to the drivers side?? I love that style grille and think it would look great with the GT "fangs" in the grille.
Correct, Thats the one :D:D

badass03ragtop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2003 GT 'vert, 1973 Fastback
This should be interesting. Good luck. I tried a number of aftermarket setups on my '03 after adding the KB, but the best one was the one I made myself. I did data logging on the dyno to find the best result. Too bad that guy closed up and left town (marital problems). Strange thing is that with a K&N, I could actually make the tune run so poorly that it was dumping raw fuel into the exhaust. Another AM filter has remained in place since. Wouldn't think just a filter could have such a profound effect.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
The first piece of the puzzle has arrived. Now just waiting on my coupler...
IMG_0716.jpg
IMG_0717.jpg