Sponsored

MMR Big Tube ?????

obk787

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Oxford White
Question for all you guys.
MMR intake seems like a nice straight tube but do you guys think it will effect performance in a negative way since its not in a closed unit and might have heat soak issue. Also is there a possibility the unit might suck in water from regular driving?
I honesly am not looking much at a huge performance gain but I like aound factor that it intesifies the turbo suction:headbonk:
Sponsored

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
The intake moves the filter outside of the engine bay so heat soak really isn't an issue. There is a possibility it would suck in water, but in my experience it is minimal. I had a JLT cold air on my Cobra and drove in terrible wet and flooded conditions without issue. Others may have different experiences though.

RubyRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT 6M
I have the same concerns. The MMR looks nice, adds some nice sound, and probably adds some power... But I'd hate for it to be at the sake of heat soak or getting water into the engine.

Darkrune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CO EB
The ride height is pretty up there in this car to begin with, plus the whole filter would have to be submerged to get water in the engine. It really is of no concern unless you are fording rivers.

OVRKILL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Built '91 Land Cruiser, '15 EB PP MT
The intake sits in the fender well about a foot above the road. If you're in water that deep you have bigger problems than hydrolocking. On mine this will be different as I've gone with a better filter. Here's a picture reference:

ecoboost%20intercooler%201.jpg

I'll install mine today and let you know about the IATs.

The stock box is fantastic but I didn't want to go through the trouble of deleting the resonator, and the MMR unit looks very good.

Sponsored

DanFish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT, 2015 Black Eco
What filter did you go with? Will the K&N filter not be good for use in AZ?

OVRKILL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought a Donaldson Powercore filter distributed by Volant. Donaldson are the folks who came up with the induction system for the M1 Abrams tank. Oiled fabric filters perform very poorly on the ISO A2 fine dust test. The kicker is that A2 test dust is sold as "Arizona" dust.

These are the best articles I've found so far:

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/air-filter-study.html

I'm sure 90% of folks will be fine with a K&N, but I prefer.. overkill. :p

IIRC S&B also makes paper filters in cone form that would do nicely.

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
I bought a Donaldson Powercore filter distributed by Volant. Donaldson are the folks who came up with the induction system for the M1 Abrams tank. Oiled fabric filters perform very poorly on the ISO A2 fine dust test. The kicker is that A2 test dust is sold as "Arizona" dust.

These are the best articles I've found so far:

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/air-filter-study.html

I'm sure 90% of folks will be fine with a K&N, but I prefer.. overkill. :p

IIRC S&B also makes paper filters in cone form that would do nicely.
Great info. Thanks.

KUgrad13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang Roush Stage 1
The intake sits in the fender well about a foot above the road. If you're in water that deep you have bigger problems than hydrolocking. On mine this will be different as I've gone with a better filter. Here's a picture reference:

ecoboost%20intercooler%201.jpg

I'll install mine today and let you know about the IATs.

The stock box is fantastic but I didn't want to go through the trouble of deleting the resonator, and the MMR unit looks very good.
Can you post a video on here of the MMR intake vs stock?

OVRKILL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MMR has one up, but maybe I'll make a recording from inside the cabin. I'm kinda delaying the installation right now because there's some sort of coating inside of the tube that seems to be peeling in one spot. I need to find out what it is so I can re-coat it.

Sponsored

DanFish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT, 2015 Black Eco
What part of AZ are you in OVRKILL?

RubyRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT 6M
I don't get the placement of this, though. Wouldn't all airflow be blocked by the bumper cover?

waahehe94

We're All Mad...You Know
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Cobra R, Corvette
If you're concerned about dust, dirt, mud, water, etc.... then you could use a prefilter from K&N or an Outerwear. I've used them for many years on different vehicles that I drive and race and they offer good protection while not hurting performance. They are used primarily for off road racing but they work very well in other applications. The only downside is that they are expensive for what they are.

Here's a link to a YouTube of an old one that I have showing how well they repel water.
Outerwear.JPG

OP
OP

obk787

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Oxford White
MMR has one up, but maybe I'll make a recording from inside the cabin. I'm kinda delaying the installation right now because there's some sort of coating inside of the tube that seems to be peeling in one spot. I need to find out what it is so I can re-coat it.
Why would they put coating on inside of tube?
Sponsored