Clutch Engagement Point

SeventhWard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SeventhWard
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver GT
Finally had an opportunity to test drive a GT yesterday with a manual transmission. First off, love the car - looks great, sounds incredible, very comfortable interior. However, I found the enegagement point of the clutch to be much too high for my liking and driving style.

I'd hate to forego the stick shift for something I'd likely get used to after a few hours behind the wheel, but I figured I'd ask you guys if it's possible to adjust the clutch engagement point on the 6G.

It's my personal preference to have that engagement point near the floor. I know the clutch engagement point is something that USED to be adjustable on older MT cars -- is it possible to modify in this ultra hot gorgeous new Mustang?

Thanks, fellas.

-SeventhWard

PS - mods if I'm in the wrong sub-forum feel free to move me
Sponsored

USPSALIMITED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 GT PP Guard
Great question.
I just drove till I got used to it, but I had the same initial reaction to it and might play around a bit if it is easy. Might not though, once I adapted it was a non issue.

Potrillo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Premium
I have the same preference for clutch engagement, but I am getting used to the way it is on my pony.

OP
OP
SeventhWard

SeventhWard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SeventhWard
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver GT
I have the same preference for clutch engagement, but I am getting used to the way it is on my pony.
Potrillo, thank you for your earlier post about this, man! I went into my test drive already expecting the engagement point to be a little higher than I'm used to thanks to reading your thread. Not even close to being a deal breaker, this car is fantastic. Like you, I feel this is something I'll eventually adapt to but if it's possible to modify - whoa nelly - I'm already in love. What's next?

-SeventhWard

Patrick S

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50 year Ap/Pkg
after 1000 miles, you don't even notice the clutch friction point. i don't even think about it, i just am use to it now. the whole driving experience is fantastic!

Sponsored

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I think Ford must have built this car for me, because for some reason the clutch point and engagement felt sublime to me, and I've driven a good handful of manual cars (good and bad) and way to many hours of videogames with a good quality Fanatec cockpit (Clubsport Pedals, Shifter and 911 Turbo S Wheel). Just putting through the dealer parking lot trying to get by all the people walking around was a breeze.

Maybe I'm the one who is off a little? haha

I will agree there is no feel in the clutch though. I miss that of my older manual cars. I especially hate it in the last gen STi's, they're amongst the worst I've driven.

USPSALIMITED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 GT PP Guard
On the bright side, if you let a friend drive you get to act all superior when they bugger the 1 - 2 shift up a little bit :).

Potrillo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Premium
I think Ford must have built this car for me, because for some reason the clutch point and engagement felt sublime to me, and I've driven a good handful of manual cars (good and bad) and way to many hours of videogames with a good quality Fanatec cockpit (Clubsport Pedals, Shifter and 911 Turbo S Wheel). Just putting through the dealer parking lot trying to get by all the people walking around was a breeze.

Maybe I'm the one who is off a little? haha

I will agree there is no feel in the clutch though. I miss that of my older manual cars. I especially hate it in the last gen STi's, they're amongst the worst I've driven.
I think it is partially due to the fact that this is my first performance car with a manual transmission. My last manual was a truck so the shifting experience was not tailored to fast shifting.

When I think about it, it makes sense that the clutch dis/engages early on so that less time is spent pressing the pedal during shifts.

Potrillo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Premium
Potrillo, thank you for your earlier post about this, man! I went into my test drive already expecting the engagement point to be a little higher than I'm used to thanks to reading your thread. Not even close to being a deal breaker, this car is fantastic. Like you, I feel this is something I'll eventually adapt to but if it's possible to modify - whoa nelly - I'm already in love. What's next?

-SeventhWard
Glad it was helpful. It is/was a learning experience.

bvdawg13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black Mustang GT
I've also had many different manual cars, and this car at this point (250 miles) feels no different and is very comfortable to drive. The thing that was difficult to get used to was that for the first few seconds when you let off the brake, it won't coast backwards down a hill and gives you a chance to get moving first. A nice feature for someone who is inexperienced at driving a manual.

Sponsored

USPSALIMITED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 GT PP Guard
I've also had many different manual cars, and this car at this point (250 miles) feels no different and is very comfortable to drive. The thing that was difficult to get used to was that for the first few seconds when you let off the brake, it won't coast backwards down a hill and gives you a chance to get moving first. A nice feature for someone who is inexperienced at driving a manual.
I like that you can turn it off though, just used to doing things the hard way I guess.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I found the same issue when I test drove a GT manual. Thinking back on it though I wonder if I just didn't have my seat adjusted properly for the test drive. Think about it. You jump in for a 10 minute test drive, move the seat around a little and go. I believe once I own the car and get myself settled that the clutch would be in the right spot and you wouldn't notice anything unusual.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I might add that the car I drove only had 29 miles on it too. Maybe the clutch needed a few more miles so as not to be so grabby.

kulfyur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 LE Mustang
I think it is partially due to the fact that this is my first performance car with a manual transmission. My last manual was a truck so the shifting experience was not tailored to fast shifting.

When I think about it, it makes sense that the clutch dis/engages early on so that less time is spent pressing the pedal during shifts.
Forgive my ignorance guys. But if you could adjust the engagement point and move it closer to the floor, could you also adjust the overall petal height? Like move the petal closer to the floor and lock it at that depth? I'd like that honestly. When I test drove the GT, the catch point wasn't what annoyed me, it was the my expecting the clutch to be much closer to the floor and not so high. It almost felt like the clutch on the '94 ranger I used to drive. Certain not a deal breaker as others have pointed out. I'll get used to it just like it get used to any other manual's clutch.
Sponsored