Sponsored

Mustang mid cycle refresh spy photo

MC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red GT Fastback, due sometime in October
Found this.

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/report-ford-mustang-mid-cycle-refresh-to-bring-back-se-1735754119

Does anyone have thoughts on a 10 gear v 6 gear transmission?
Don't worry, they'll probably keep selling us the same car here until about 2021 :). We didn't get the hood turn signal/vents after all ... I'm surprised we're getting Grabber Blue or Lightning Blue. Thought they might have wanted to use up all their discontinued paint on Australian cars.

In all seriousness, I've mixed feeling about a 10-speed box. Great if you change your cares overly regularly, not so great if you plan to hang on to the car.

Anchor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Don't worry, they'll probably keep selling us the same car here until about 2021 :). We didn't get the hood turn signal/vents after all ... I'm surprised we're getting Grabber Blue or Lightning Blue. Thought they might have wanted to use up all their discontinued paint on Australian cars.

In all seriousness, I've mixed feeling about a 10-speed box. Great if you change your cares overly regularly, not so great if you plan to hang on to the car.
Such a negative nancy. We're not far behind with Sync3. The vents/conventional strut brace/turn signals were an ADR pedestrian safety issue. Apparently.

Why not so good if you plan on keeping the car? That doesn't make sense. Technology moves forward, if Ford doesn't they'll get left behind. Better fuel consumption, better power delivery.

MC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red GT Fastback, due sometime in October
Such a negative nancy. We're not far behind with Sync3. The vents/conventional strut brace/turn signals were an ADR pedestrian safety issue. Apparently.

Why not so good if you plan on keeping the car? That doesn't make sense. Technology moves forward, if Ford doesn't they'll get left behind. Better fuel consumption, better power delivery.
I was referring to the cost of rebuilding the transmission years down the track if you planned to keep the car for 20+ years. Compare the costs of building a ZF out of a FG-X Falcon (apparently $7,000+ according to Ford Forums) with the cost of rebuilding, say, a 3-speed + overdrive out of a VP Commodore (circa $1,300-1,500 when I enquired earlier this year for a year we decided to discard). Have a look inside a transmission and you'll see what I mean with regard to complexity. I've been through the process of rebuilding a '67 Mustang, with just about everything rebuilt, or replaced if it couldn't be rebuild. Not an easy thing to do, rebuilding a car (and my father did most of it as he is much more mechanically inclined than I am) but I dare say it will be more difficult/costly to do the same to a 50-year-old S550.

As for the bonnet, the vents were discarded, from what I have been told here, not to comply with ADRs but because Ford gave all non-US customers the bonnet that would be suitable for all non-US countries. Bonnets must be active/jettisonable In Europe according to what I have read here. VF Commodores have bonnet vents, WRXs have had them for ages, so this argument fits the facts.
Sponsored