Sponsored

2017 ZL1 could bring about unveiling of GT500?

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
No No you don't need a 10 speed in a car that's going to drag race most of the time
Wait,...............what?!?! :eyebulge:
You do know the 10 speed will shift quicker than any manual driver right? Why wouldn't someone want that for the drag strip if it's quicker? I'm not being facetious, just curious. Why wouldn't someone want that for drag racing?
Sponsored

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
Wait,...............what?!?! :eyebulge:
You do know the 10 speed will shift quicker than any manual driver right? Why wouldn't someone want that for the drag strip if it's quicker? I'm not being facetious, just curious. Why wouldn't someone want that for drag racing?

Because some people are stuck on (or prefer) manual transmissions. Some think this is the 80s when automatics were crap compared to manuals.

I'd prefer a 2 speed power glide if I had the right setup, however for the next best thing? A 10 speed is pretty damn impressive and you can daily drive it too. Also, you won't miss a shift either. Lol

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Because some people are stuck on (or prefer) manual transmissions. Some think this is the 80s when automatics were crap compared to manuals.
I'd prefer a 2 speed power glide if I had the right setup, however for the next best thing? A 10 speed is pretty damn impressive and you can daily drive it too. Also, you won't miss a shift either. Lol
^^BINGO!
:D

Sawman70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Cobra, 13 GT Vert, 15 GT, 12 535i, 16 F type R
Read the car and driver article today and forwarded it to my son and showed a couple of guys at work. "Why won't Ford do this?" I asked. The rest of the world adds auto shifting gear boxes to their highest end performance cars and Ford refuses to take my money by doing the same. It is a shame, they simply pass on market share to stick with some sort of ridiculous machismo thing. "We offer stick only as its the right thing to do for the enthusiast." Right. The guy in the GT3 racing on Sunday in his 250000 dollar car isn't an enthusiast. ADM and no choice of auto is pushing me from Ford. I will keep my finger's crossed that Ford will one day make a high powered car that CAN HANDLE, has a GREAT STEREO with the option of an auto. I will cross the fingers on the other hand and hope it is a Mustang. A Lincoln Coupe with 500+ HP wouldn't be bad either.

If I sound bitter its because I am.

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
Read the car and driver article today and forwarded it to my son and showed a couple of guys at work. "Why won't Ford do this?" I asked. The rest of the world adds auto shifting gear boxes to their highest end performance cars and Ford refuses to take my money by doing the same. It is a shame, they simply pass on market share to stick with some sort of ridiculous machismo thing. "We offer stick only as its the right thing to do for the enthusiast." Right. The guy in the GT3 racing on Sunday in his 250000 dollar car isn't an enthusiast. ADM and no choice of auto is pushing me from Ford. I will keep my finger's crossed that Ford will one day make a high powered car that CAN HANDLE, has a GREAT STEREO with the option of an auto. I will cross the fingers on the other hand and hope it is a Mustang. A Lincoln Coupe with 500+ HP wouldn't be bad either.

If I sound bitter its because I am.

To be fair the Z/28 and 1LE were both only offered with a manual transmission for said enthusiast. (And the new 1LE is the same way.)

I think you'll see a GT500 with an auto this time.

The GT350 was kept manual because of it being for the track purist/enthusiast. At least that's how I took it.

I don't think you should be worried just yet.

Now if they announce the GT500 without the 10 speed and only give it a manual. Then I could understand the frustration.

I cant drive a manual comfortably for a length of time anymore due to my back/leg issues which randomly pop up. It sucks. :/
I loved having a manual in my SS back when I still had it but every once in a while it hurt to drive and that's just no fun at all.

Luckily technology is catching up. I think you'll see a performance variant of the GT500 with an auto this time. If they don't I'll be really surprised.

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Even if ford offeres both a manual or automatic I'll stick with a "stick" I'm old school and like it that way.

bentley1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby (White with DIB OTT Stripes) #1233
I really don't think Ford feels any pressure to release the GT500 any sooner than they had planned...even with the new ZL1 being publicized. Here's what I can see happening:

1. GT350/R will continue its run into MY17 as has been publicized.
2. Ford is still trying to get a ton of Publicity on its upcoming Ford GT for 2017, so look for the spotlight to be cast on that for as long as they can keep it on them. Not to mention, Ford isn't going to trump itself when the orders for the 17' GT350's are still being filled.
3. Rumor has it that Ford will up the date on their next generation from 2022 to 2020. This is a key date for all of you looking to hold out for the next big thing to come out.
4. In order to keep the pressure on and keep the sales up, I can see Ford releasing "leaked" info around the end of 2016 (Dec) or early 2017 (Jan) on the new GT500 (MY2018). It would give them a 2 year run on the existing platform (which has been tested to death at this point) before the next generation is released.

I only am commenting on the above based on how Ford has done things in the past (history tends to repeat itself). It has worked well to this point for those "one off" models...let's face it, Ford hit a homerun with marketing/publicity on the GT350/R and it continues to this day with the heavy ADM and no end in site yet.

I DO think the next GT500 will have an option of either the Tremec 6 speed in the current GT350 and the "new" 10 speed automatic. As for the motor, I don't know but would guess they will continue with the 5.0 and throw a SC on it, because it has been tested to death at this point (even though I would love to see a twin turbo). It would give Ford a chance to live test the 10 speed auto and get feedback before the next gen Mustang is released and build off of that for the big debut. Just my thoughts :)

91z28350

Obsessed with Horse Power
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JAMES
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT500 - 837 RWHP AND COUNTING
It will not use the Tremec from the GT350. That is a lightened transmission and not designed for high torque applications. Most likely the 6060 or possibly the 7 speed.

Sawman70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Cobra, 13 GT Vert, 15 GT, 12 535i, 16 F type R
Even if ford offeres both a manual or automatic I'll stick with a "stick" I'm old school and like it that way.
Which is fine of course. Its your cash and I would want you to get what you want. Thank God for the Camaro and Challenger. Competition breeds innovation.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Which is fine of course. Its your cash and I would want you to get what you want. Thank God for the Camaro and Challenger. Competition breeds innovation.
I'm very happy with my GT350

Sponsored

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 301A PP1 A10 Magneride
Mmmmmmmm, ketchup! Just because you don't think we should.

91z28350

Obsessed with Horse Power
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JAMES
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT500 - 837 RWHP AND COUNTING
Why in the hell would you want a Auto transmission in a sports car that's like putting ketchup on a pizza
Because I like to go fast!
Sponsored