2017-'18 GT500 & GT500KR

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 301A PP1 A10 Magneride
How can you think that he was referring to a true dual fuel engine? He was making up terms for a motor that has both direct and fuel injection (it's a design that minimizes carbon buildup on valves) and chose "duel [sic] fuel" -- that has nothing to do with what you cited.

But that's precisely the problem with appropriating terms that already have a meaning, it's confusing.

I should add that if Ford does adopt a supplemental injection system, it's more likely to be the Bosch water injection system used in the BMW M3 GTS. Bosch recently announced that they're willing to license it to all comers. Depending on engine tune you either get better MPG or more power. It's tech that can affordably be used to keep NA engines on the market a little while longer.
I guess I give him the benefit of the doubt. Just like every other poster here. Or maybe it's because I've been salivating over the Bobcat concept for years. Not necessarily thinking about the mustang for application, but it is an interesting idea.
Sponsored

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
Something interesting to look at is Ken Block's Hoonicorn V2 is going to be a Twin Turbo V8 and I guarantee that Ford Performance had something to do with it. I believe they are promoting it to ready the public for the EcoBeast motor.
The motor is a Roush-Yates 410 ci. Not sure if that really relates to new Ford development as it does to just adding some turbos to a big engine.

crysalis_01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Terminator Cobra
Looks like the Bronco (and Ranger) are a go.

A few post back thePill specifically mentioned the Bronco in the pool of vehicles that will be using the GT500's Ecoboost. This is where the GT500 and GT500KR could differ... remember, none of this is confirmed.

I believe that the Raptor, Lightning and Super Bronco will all use the Hot V Twin Scroll Ecoboost. As you can see, the F150's Powerstroke V8's and now the EcoBeast will share the same exact design, lower cost even more. In fact, both Hot V PowerStroke and Duel Fuel engines could use similar manifolds. Not only making it cheaper but making Ecoboost and PowerStroke engines interchangeable with very little hassle.

Yes... it is too logical and profitable to pass up. Both technologies are easily interchangeable and the GT500 mule had a "PowerDome" style hood. An indication that something sits in the V... supercharger? or is it technology that they posed the entire time and waited for the market to shift to Truck/SUV's?

thePill believes an Ecoboost design is replacing the supercharger completely. The Hot V, Duel Fuel V8 is being developed for the entire Super truck lineup. It includes the EB V8 Raptor, the F150 Lightning and the Super Bronco. That engine will use a single twin scrolling, Hot V turbo that uses Port Direct Injection (Duel Fuel). At a minimum, the GT500 will use this 700-725hp version of this, let's say 5.4 ;). The trucks could use a 5.2 liter version and keep the 5.4 GT500 only?

However, thePill believes that a GT500KR could be along shortly with its very own Hot V BiTurbo displacing 5.2 up to 5.4 liters...

I think the trucks could use a 5.2 and the GT500 gets its old 5.4 back. 5.5 liters is the maximum displacement in GT and GT3. They forced the Z06 to use 5.5 liters... if Ford is serious. Of course 5.449 liters is technically still a 5.4 ;)
Wouldn't it make more sense To leave Lightning's successor in Ranger's wheelhouse? Let F-150 have Raptor as it's FP offering covering the off-road side of the market while Ranger can pull the "Lightning Bolt" name from hallowed antiquity and cover the street/sport truck side?

HCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
The video above has an Engine Rep speaking about the "Dual Fuel" system...

thePill had previously called it Port Direct Injection until I seen this video. I don't really agree with the name either but that is apparently the direction here.
In a 15 minute long video, the engineer seems to have called "dual fuel injection" by the term "dual fuel" a single time, at 11:28. Sure seems like a verbal shortcut, not attempting to redefine anything.

If you look at Ford's official communications regarding the engine, they are much more precise with their language:

The engine features an all-new, Ford-first dual-direct and port fuel-injection system.
I've written a few press releases, and I'll say that that's where you sweat the wording and you make darn sure to be using official terminology. Unless you can find other evidence that Ford officially is trying to label direct+port injection as "dual fuel" I'd just chalk it up to a verbal shortcut on the part of that engineer in the video.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Looks like the Bronco (and Ranger) are a go.

A few post back thePill specifically mentioned the Bronco in the pool of vehicles that will be using the GT500's Ecoboost. This is where the GT500 and GT500KR could differ... remember, none of this is confirmed.

I believe that the Raptor, Lightning and Super Bronco will all use the Hot V Twin Scroll Ecoboost. As you can see, the F150's Powerstroke V8's and now the EcoBeast will share the same exact design, lower cost even more. In fact, both Hot V PowerStroke and Duel Fuel engines could use similar manifolds. Not only making it cheaper but making Ecoboost and PowerStroke engines interchangeable with very little hassle.

Yes... it is too logical and profitable to pass up. Both technologies are easily interchangeable and the GT500 mule had a "PowerDome" style hood. An indication that something sits in the V... supercharger? or is it technology that they posed the entire time and waited for the market to shift to Truck/SUV's?

thePill believes an Ecoboost design is replacing the supercharger completely. The Hot V, Duel Fuel V8 is being developed for the entire Super truck lineup. It includes the EB V8 Raptor, the F150 Lightning and the Super Bronco. That engine will use a single twin scrolling, Hot V turbo that uses Port Direct Injection (Duel Fuel). At a minimum, the GT500 will use this 700-725hp version of this, let's say 5.4 ;). The trucks could use a 5.2 liter version and keep the 5.4 GT500 only?

However, thePill believes that a GT500KR could be along shortly with its very own Hot V BiTurbo displacing 5.2 up to 5.4 liters...

I think the trucks could use a 5.2 and the GT500 gets its old 5.4 back. 5.5 liters is the maximum displacement in GT and GT3. They forced the Z06 to use 5.5 liters... if Ford is serious. Of course 5.449 liters is technically still a 5.4 ;)
I don't believe anything anyone says who refers to himself/herself in the third person. :crazy:

Sponsored

HCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
HCT wants to assure you that HCT would never refer to himself in the third person.

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
In a 15 minute long video, the engineer seems to have called "dual fuel injection" by the term "dual fuel" a single time, at 11:28. Sure seems like a verbal shortcut, not attempting to redefine anything.

If you look at Ford's official communications regarding the engine, they are much more precise with their language:

I've written a few press releases, and I'll say that that's where you sweat the wording and you make darn sure to be using official terminology. Unless you can find other evidence that Ford officially is trying to label direct+port injection as "dual fuel" I'd just chalk it up to a verbal shortcut on the part of that engineer in the video.
I would call it Port-Direct and that is what I've been calling it.

Regardless, another piece falls into place... the 800hp mark is getting closer.