Sponsored

Clunk in Front End?

firedaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
anyone having clunking in the front end when going over bumps? I have a 2016 stock suspension and it sounds horrible when going over a bump or gravel. I havent noticed anyone else having this problem.. Thought I would check.

Thanks
DW
Sponsored

Carbon Addict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I have so many clunks and noises in front and rear, it sounds so terrible I'm embarrassed to drive anyone in my car. I finally made an appointment for Ford to look at it, but unfortunately it's two weeks away. I'll update this thread with what they say.

Pistons132

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red
Does it clunk when you shift gears?

When I come to a stop or go over a bump it clunks also. I’m scared to take it to Ford since they can probably make it worse :( I only have 7k miles on mine.

Travbedaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT DIB Prem
The only time I hear a clunk is when I back out of my driveway in the mornings and have the steering wheel turned... it's not very loud but it's still kinda concerning. Never heard it while driving though.

sumguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 magnetic metallic GT base
sounds like same thing i had, could reproduce at the dealership by going over speed bump at an angle. sway bar bushing, warranty replaced

Sponsored

martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost; coupe; guard; dark-saddle; MT; PP; Nav;
The only time I hear a clunk is when I back out of my driveway in the mornings and have the steering wheel turned... it's not very loud but it's still kinda concerning. Never heard it while driving though.
I have the exact same thing; coming out of the driveway, the engine not yet warm, then a loud clunk, feels like I went over a tree trunk

Travbedaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT DIB Prem
sounds like same thing i had, could reproduce at the dealership by going over speed bump at an angle. sway bar bushing, warranty replaced
Huh, I guess I'll bring it in to my dealer and have em take a gander, thanks dude.

Travbedaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT DIB Prem
I have the exact same thing; coming out of the driveway, the engine not yet warm, then a loud clunk, feels like I went over a tree trunk
Yeah mine isn't that loud or harsh, but but maybe would get worse over time?

martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost; coupe; guard; dark-saddle; MT; PP; Nav;
Yeah mine isn't that loud or harsh, but but maybe would get worse over time?
I think mine has gotten better over time
Or maybe I drive more tentatively backing out of the driveway

Pistons132

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red
People say it’s the driveline lash or something like that but if it’s something else like suspension then I haven’t heard that before.

I have wondered if it could be a wheel that wasn’t torqued correctly?

Sponsored

poorfortune

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
'16 Base GTPP - Deep Impact Blue
Same thing. Mine only happens when it is below 60'ish degrees, and on the right side. I'm guessing something is either not torqued fully, or a bushing is a little out of alignment, and get stiff in the colder weather. It only happens at, or near, full clocking, like when I come out of a parking space.

I need to have the dealer look at my e-brake, so I will have them check this out at the same time.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Front end clunk won't be driveline.

Have Dealership check:
Front strut mounts (there have been reports on this site for premature failure)
Front struts (again premature failures)
Front ball joints (again premature failures)
Front hub bearing assembly (again premature failures)
Front sway bar mounts
Front brake calipers

The driveline clunk occurs only when putting the vehicle into gear forward/reverse, when coming to a full stop or when accelerating off of a stop. This affects both the MT82 and 6R80 (more complaints from 6R80 owners).

The driveline clunk fix that has been noted by many is:
Replacement of rear pinion flange
Replacement of trans flange
Replacement of BOTH rear pinion and trans flanges

If you only experience the "clunk" from the front when going over uneven surfaces, road imperfections and/or when backing out of or turning into a driveway on an angle or incline - I'd suspect it's something noted in the front end and not related at all to the driveline clunk.

ccelaya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT Premium
Hello, I just wanted to give an update.
My dealership replaced the two frontal struts, problem completely gone:
no rattle, no clunking in uneven roads, not even when cold (when it was most noticeable)... if anybody is suffering from this, get the front struts checked (mine was only 16,000kms) 2015 GT premium no PP.

Carbon Addict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Hello, I just wanted to give an update.
My dealership replaced the two frontal struts, problem completely gone:
no rattle, no clunking in uneven roads, not even when cold (when it was most noticeable)... if anybody is suffering from this, get the front struts checked (mine was only 16,000kms) 2015 GT premium no PP.
How did they check your front struts? My dealer said they checked everything and didn't hear any rattle or clunking.

I'm going to pick up the car tomorrow and have them come for a drive with me so I can show them it clunks and rattles like a B*t&h!

ccelaya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT Premium
How did they check your front struts? My dealer said they checked everything and didn't hear any rattle or clunking.

I'm going to pick up the car tomorrow and have them come for a drive with me so I can show them it clunks and rattles like a B*t&h!
My car used to clunk like hell while driving on the uneven street outside my house. Fortunately it is just a 4 minute drive from my dealership, so I was able to show them the noise.

They could not tell where the noise was coming from (they admitted that) but they decided to replace both frontal struts. When I asked them why, they just told me "they need to be replaced in pairs"...

It was a warranty covered fix, so I did not complain :)
Sponsored