Underseal Improving?

welsh treg

Mid life crisis guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pony power
OK

A little history, Mustangs since 1964 have had a repatation for the dreaded rust in the floor pan areas, if you ever look to buy a vintage stang

number 1 is check for rust, number 2 check for rust, number 3 check for rust, 4 you get the picture, west coast/desert cars are the ones to go for,
East coast cars can be rust buckets.

Now in the modern world US cars still don't get underseal,
Ford's European manufactured cars come under sealed.

If you're planning on selling/trading up in a few years I doubt the underseal issue bothers you.
If you're in it for the long haul history should be telling you to get it sorted,
especially before this winter kicks in.

Ford's slap and spray in Zeebrugge is frankly a joke, a rushed attempt to appease Euro laws, after someone dropped one whilst working on the export situation.

My Mustang is booked in with Mike at Modurstang for the underseal in August, I don't want to spend the money, but piece of mind sometimes costs.

My 2 pence worth

I intend to keep my stang for many years (God willing) and I don't fancy having to splash out big time in the years to come.

As for Fords maybe fix in the future, is doesn't fill me with any confidence, it feels like another another half arsed solution.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Maoilearca

Maoilearca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 GT Auto Coupe (Guard). FP PP2
OK

My Mustang is booked in with Mike at Modurstang for the underseal in August, I don't want to spend the money, but piece of mind sometimes costs.
How much, may I ask?

John

lennyb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 5.0 GT DIB due sometime soon hopefully!
I'm in the same boat as [MENTION=17691]welsh treg[/MENTION], this one is very much a keeper for me.

I'll be speaking to my dealer this week prior to collecting it on Monday & will ask him to put it on the ramp so I can check it out.

If its not right I'll push with them to resolve, but if they aren't receptive after my badgering I have a quote from a local garage who I trust to do the job for £300.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
How much, may I ask?

John
Around £400 i think, might be a bit more
mine going in next Tuesday
I think Yes it's a lot of money, and could have got it done for £250 using waxoyl
But Mike will be working on the car for 6 hours, he will be stripping off the exhaust and other stuff then spraying. Other people don't do this, now I don't have a clue about this stuff
But i trust Mike and Lee before i went for my service their feedback was amazing, and after my service they are worth that feedback.

Sponsored

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
Now in the modern world US cars still don't get underseal,
But they are made from zinc plated steel, which is the main reason modern cars rust less. That and wheel arch liners, designing out dirt traps etc. means we are way better placed than in the bad old days. A 10 year old S197 imported new to the UK by my business partner still looks clean underneath with no panel rust. But it's not a daily driver. The 'hood' is corroded of course, because Ford didn't prep the aluminium properly (look out for that on S550 hood and wings in a few years time).

Daily driver; underseal is a no brainer I think.

welsh treg

Mid life crisis guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pony power
But they are made from zinc plated steel, which is the main reason modern cars rust less. That and wheel arch liners, designing out dirt traps etc. means we are way better placed than in the bad old days. A 10 year old S197 imported new to the UK by my business partner still looks clean underneath with no panel rust. But it's not a daily driver. The 'hood' is corroded of course, because Ford didn't prep the aluminium properly (look out for that on S550 hood and wings in a few years time).

Daily driver; underseal is a no brainer I think.
Mines a daily, so as you said - no brainer

Also Modurstang may have an extra one or two bits to fit as well, after Julys holiday in the old USA*

*extra suitcase time :D

mkforks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang v8 r/h/d to come
there is a dealer tsb now that authorises a recall to do the undereal correctly on all cars
mine was booked in 2 weeks ago at ford bodyshop
took the car at the weekend to be done Monday and Tuesday
low and behold, the underseal protection hasn't turned up from ford parts so my cars sitting in bodyshop doing nothing
yet another bloody fiasco !!!!

OP
OP
Maoilearca

Maoilearca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 GT Auto Coupe (Guard). FP PP2
Underseal updates

Just wondering about latest wisdom about underseal.

Mine's a July 2016 car, so I'm presuming it'll have to be done. Question is, what would people who've had it done recommend as

1. the best kind of underseal to use
2. the best price to put that on properly

Thanks

John

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Monaro, DeLorean, Viva, S5, 600F
You can, of course, do it yourself (if you're brave and have access to a lift). I'm off to ModUrStang soon; price quoted (at time of writing) is £540 including VAT.

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Just wondering about latest wisdom about underseal.

Mine's a July 2016 car, so I'm presuming it'll have to be done. Question is, what would people who've had it done recommend as

1. the best kind of underseal to use
2. the best price to put that on properly

Thanks

John
There's a place called Krown doing undersealing, no idea on the price but they're pushing Mustangs on facebook lol.

Shultz, Waxoyl etc, it's all disgusting stuff but works a charm :)

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
There's a place called Krown doing undersealing, no idea on the price but they're pushing Mustangs on facebook lol.

Shultz, Waxoyl etc, it's all disgusting stuff but works a charm :)
you can't beat Raptor and its not disgusting stuff, and has way more BITE
:D

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
The US grit roads as well and in many places have much worse weather than us.

Any ore news n this TSB. Car in for service Tuesday, may ask.
TSB was for a certain few spots under the car that may have been missed and only really effected nordic etc cars. It's quite peculiar still as to why bremhaven gets a proper underseal and ZG doesn't (my thinking is ZG being the biggest import to europe will know the shortcuts)

Just tell your dealer that the underseal is not fit for purpose and they missold you a car, they should agree to fix it really. A few of us here have now had it done and many more on facebook.

@Golden Gooner Raptors good cant say i researched underseal heavily, just as long as there's some on there, apples to oranges and all that. ;)

17ANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow Fastback GT Manual
I got news from my dealer that the UK cars are not applicable under the TSB, so I'll get chasing with strongly worded letters once the floor starts to rot...

TSB below for reference:
Subject/Concern:
Underbody wax application
Model:
Mustang 2015.0 (03/2015–) - For specific VIN information refer to Table Attachment 1
Assembly Plant: Flatrock
Markets:
Germany, France, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Spain
Summary
NOTE: This Service Instruction is valid for vehicles listed in Table Attachment 1 and delivered to the listed markets only.
A small number of Mustang 2015.0 vehicles have been built without sufficient underbody protection.
Sponsored