Sponsored

Rear passenger side rattle/buzz

slcoddity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I think the issue is most likely the hard foam. I took the rear passenger panel off and removed the foam parts rather than try to mitigate them. Seems that they are spacers to keep the panel in place - rather than bowing into the sheet metal. I don't carry rear passengers. However, upon reassembly the panel is plenty strong without the foam. I also put some tension on the two white clips that attach the panel to the sheet metal on the door side.

The noise only happens on my car on rough sections of interstate above 65mph. Memorial Day traffic is at a peak right now, so the test drive will have to wait for the commute tomorrow. However, I can say that I'm absolutely certain the issue is somewhere in the panel because with the rear bottom seat and side panel removed, the car made no noise at all on the interstate.

Here's a short video of one of the foam parts doing its thing:

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=acwv44>&s=8#.VWOnHOd4iQl
Hi, did you happen to take a couple of pictures when the panel was off?
Sponsored

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
Unfortunately, no. Sorry about that. The panel is really simple to remove once the seat bottom is out of the way. Simply pull the panel toward the inside of the car. Removal of all the parts (door trim, rear seat bottom, and rear side panel) took less than 5 minutes.

socalsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 5.0 GT PP
Check all the weather stripping around the passenger door, then check all the plastic around the right rear window, then check the plastic around the seat belt retractor area. Oh and open up the rear seats to see if the plastic bits are all seated properly. Also buckle the seat belts to eliminate the possibility of them (the metal portion) from vibrating against the hard plastic. I would also check to see if the door is flush, if it's sticking out, then I'd say most of the rattling is being caused by too much free space, i.e. the tighter the door and window the less chance of bits that touch them are vibrating. I've been working on the rattle and hum crap for the last couple months on and off... ya fix one and then ya hear another, I think I found most of them.:headbonk:
Thanks for the tips...I have the same noise in the same area. Gets worse when the subwoofer starts to thump.

comagt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Check all the weather stripping around the passenger door, then check all the plastic around the right rear window, then check the plastic around the seat belt retractor area. Oh and open up the rear seats to see if the plastic bits are all seated properly. Also buckle the seat belts to eliminate the possibility of them (the metal portion) from vibrating against the hard plastic. I would also check to see if the door is flush, if it's sticking out, then I'd say most of the rattling is being caused by too much free space, i.e. the tighter the door and window the less chance of bits that touch them are vibrating. I've been working on the rattle and hum crap for the last couple months on and off... ya fix one and then ya hear another, I think I found most of them.:headbonk:
The initial big rattle has gone away after checking and pressing everything into place back there. I here a fainter rattle on both sides now, but I have a better fix for this. Corsa Extreme exhaust is on order. :headbang:

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I've had this mysterious buzz from the rear passenger are twice now. Being in the business of fixing things, I totally understand how this cannot be fixed until it is there all the time. It also seems to be a temperature related issue.
Yep, I think it is temperature related too. Mine doesn't happen all the time either - sometimes its super quiet so I'd feel like a fool going into the service department with this complaint! I'm pretty sure the temperature related part is due to the fact that the epicenter of the noise is the plastic panel Very frustrating indeed.
Thanks for the tips...I have the same noise in the same area. Gets worse when the subwoofer starts to thump.
Let me know when you guys make your appointments to get them checked out. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number as well. I’ll loop in your customer service manager.

Deysha

Sponsored

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I think the issue is most likely the hard foam. I took the rear passenger panel off and removed the foam parts rather than try to mitigate them. Seems that they are spacers to keep the panel in place - rather than bowing into the sheet metal. I don't carry rear passengers. However, upon reassembly the panel is plenty strong without the foam. I also put some tension on the two white clips that attach the panel to the sheet metal on the door side.

The noise only happens on my car on rough sections of interstate above 65mph. Memorial Day traffic is at a peak right now, so the test drive will have to wait for the commute tomorrow. However, I can say that I'm absolutely certain the issue is somewhere in the panel because with the rear bottom seat and side panel removed, the car made no noise at all on the interstate.

Here's a short video of one of the foam parts doing its thing:

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=acwv44>&s=8#.VWOnHOd4iQl

EDIT: 5/26/2015 - Road tested it this morning and all rattles are now gone
I think you are definitely on to something. The noise is very similar to what is heard in the video when you rub that piece of foam. Now, I wonder if it would work to install a felt strip where the foam contacts the metal. You know, something to insulate it which would allow the foam to remain in place.

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
I think you are definitely on to something. The noise is very similar to what is heard in the video when you rub that piece of foam. Now, I wonder if it would work to install a felt strip where the foam contacts the metal. You know, something to insulate it which would allow the foam to remain in place.
I gotta assume the hard foam bits have some utility. I just can't really think of what that might be. It's not for sound deadening because it doesn't cover the entire panel. It may be structural. However, when the panel is reinstalled without the hard foam there's really no discernible difference in the panel's flex.

Depending on what you use to insulate it, the adhesive may / will break down, eventually - and I had a hard time getting the self-adhesive EPDM rubber (camper tape) to stick to the foam. The easiest thing to do was remove the hard foam parts, which I kept. Otherwise, you're potentially into trial and error of wash (insulate), rinse (reinstall side panel and door sill, then test drive), and repeat until the noise is gone. But, having driven mine all day today (no rattles, even on the harshest sections of interstate), I can't think of a reason to reinstall the hard foam.

All of that said, though, you need to do what you're most comfortable with. :) If you want to try to insulate it, I would consider using the loop side of industrial velcro, but apply the velcro to the sheet metal behind where the hard foam bits rub.

EDIT: I should also mention, I applied some fixes to my passenger door, as well. That didn't eliminate the noise, so I moved on to the rear seat area (which is how I found this thread). See link below for additional information - the door fixes take a bit longer and you'll need some nylon trim removal tools and a hooked steel door trim tool. Point it, there's potentially another source for noise on the passenger side. Try the rear seat panel first, though - it's much easier and faster if it solves the problem.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20611

Last edited:

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Just the presence of the foam in the large void helps with acoustics, or rather eliminating them. Think of that area behind the panel as a speaker box. More volume allows sound pressure to make what we call noise. Road noise, a small stone hitting the wheel well, etc.. I'd wrap the foam in something and reinstall it. Since it is foam, use glue and some pins or trim nails?

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
Intellectually, I agree with what you're saying. :D However, in practical terms I'm thinking that should someone take decibel measurements with and without the foam, the difference is likely academic. The outer wheel wells are lined with some kind of rubber/plastic material. Not much in the way of a stone strike will be transmitted that way. Also, the convertibles have a speaker where the larger foam block is on my car. Not sure how much of a void that introduces.

I'm not recommending anything. Just relating how I eliminated the rattle (which was pretty awful). I haven't noticed an increase in the drone of road noise. If I ever do I'd be more inclined to purchase some Dynamat. As opposed to reinstalling the foam.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
You could stuff it with old dirty underwear. :D

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
Thank goodness I am not alone and its not just my OCD kicking in - that squeak has been driving me nuts.

Its mostly on "rougher" old concrete / asphalt, but it happens quite a bit.

I think she will be going back to the dealer for a check up for that now that folks have been figuring that out.

I am not pulling it appart to fix it - I paid too much and its too new and under warranty :) lol

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
I am not pulling it appart to fix it - I paid too much and its too new and under warranty :) lol
I understand. Generally, I feel the same. New car. Warranty. Paid for a solid vehicle. Should get a solid vehicle.

If it was a mechanical issue (engine, drivetrain, suspension, etc.) I would take it to the dealer without hesitation. However, in my experience I've never had a dealer resolve any kind of unwanted noise issue related to interior assembly (dash, doors, seats, rear deck, etc.).

Just speculating, my guess is that many dealers will not apply the kinds of fixes that private owners will simply because doing so falls outside of the corporate standards they must follow. For example, preloading sheet metal clips, insulating fasteners with electrical tape or EPDM rubber, removing select parts (hard foam) or replacing them with another material. Even if the dealer will get creative (without foregoing safety), they often seem unable to reproduce interior noise issues.

Might be interesting to start a poll to see how many owners have had dealers successfully resolve noise complaints.

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
What in the world kind of "anti-noise design" is that by Ford? Even if that foam piece was tight on the side panel, it seems like they have used a hard squeaky foam block. :headbonk:
That's what I thought, too. Makes me wonder where else this hard foam is lurking...

luizffgarcia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang - Fastback - Automatic - Magnetic
Guys,

After reading this thread i decided to give it a try and deal with this irritating noise by myself.

I removed the panel, cut a few stripes out of an old shirt i had and inserted the cloth between the hard foam and the plastic.

I can confirm that this solved 100% of the problem for me. If you try this just make sure you insert plenty of cloth and insert it firmly! I used a knife to force it in.

Here are a few pictures.

http://tinypic.com/r/255i4qd/8
http://tinypic.com/r/2pzmgkm/8
http://tinypic.com/r/2upd0f8/8

The only problem with this is you will start paying attention to other small noises in the cabin, i guess people like us will always find something to complain about :headbonk:
Sponsored