Sponsored

Door Rattle DIY Fix

snowman4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GT PP
Little Background.

As soon as I got the car off the lot I noticed a little rattle from the door, but it was not much of an issue as it would only do it for a few seconds and go away for the rest of a drive. Well this weekend I took the car for a 200mile round trip drive and the rattle was so bad for almost an hour straight that at one point I had to pull over as it was bothering me to the point of anger. :frusty:
The rattle in my case would go away when I put pressure on the door close to the handle, and as soon as I would remove pressure the noise would come right back.

I proceed to remove the door card using this video as a guide.
[ame]

And here is what I found.

These 2 alligator pressure clips were very wide in terms of opening vs sheet metal thickness and move around like crazy. And even though they tighten up when you tighten the hardware, the can still vibrate.
*I also found hardware that secures to them not be very tight on my car, which allows them to move around even more. Thanks FORD:clap2:
20150405_192312_zpserr895go.jpg

To remove them simply take off the foam pads that you see next to the clips and pull the clips off.
Quick solution was to grab some pliers and tighten the gap till both ends were touching by compressing the closed end of the clip. This way when the clips go back in they are now pre-loaded.

Left is after tightening, the right was before for comparison.
20150405_193011_zpsgyjxxb8g.jpg

I also put a little electrical tape to prevent metal to metal contact on both sides door skin. To access it on the back side you can have 1) small fingers 2) remove the plastic and deal with the black goo of death.

End result
20150405_193639_zpsjandwpgy.jpg

Next was the plastic clips that are towards the dash side of the car. These had so much play that they move around and vibrate like crazy when you lift up the door card and shake it. The hole that the clips snap into are oversized and the clips slide into an oversized slot, so once the door card snaps into the door they are free to rattle as there is nothing to keep the clips from moving around.
My fix at this time is to put several layers of electrical tape above and below the slots that the clips go into, putting pre-load on the clips. (Ill probably order some felt adhesive strips and fix this issue when I get some more time)
20150405_194837_zpswbd33tc7.jpg

These were the only areas of concern that I could find at this current time as everything else was solid and did not make any noise no matter how hard I tried tapping and shaking everything.

Hope this helps some people out.

Follow-up: After driving the car with different temps the rattle issue in the door is solved. Car is now silent inside, just as it should have been from the factory :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

H1 GT

Crew Chief
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
15 4C, 97 H1
I have a slight rattle now on my passenger side. Thinking it was a suspension component I replaced, I took my wheel off today and everything was tight. Stumped me.

I may give this a shot, thanks!

spicyypenguin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I think I might have this exact problem, but only when I have music playing and the door speaker vibrates due to the bass.

Did you get the rattle constantly, or only when music was being played?

GThunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT
I have a rattle coming from my passenger door, however it is much more noticeable with the window down. Have you had any experience with rattling while your window is down?

dfr1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ECOBOOST BLACK
I have the same rattle been meaning to take it apart thanks for the tips

Sponsored

OP
OP
snowman4us

snowman4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GT PP
The vibrations I had were not effected by position of the window or the sound level of the stereo system. No matter what I did to try and stop the noise it would be present.
Other things could possibly vibrate as well in the door, but for me these were the 2 areas that effected my car.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Where can i get those foam tapes to reduce rattles? 3M have some but they are thin and rolled strips!

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
I performed this fix on my GT Premium yesterday. Issue was identical, same alligator clips mid-door along with the two forward-most plastic door clips. Everything is tight as a drum, now. Haven't had a chance to road test, yet. The noise was only present when driving on older sections of freeway.

Last edited:

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
So, this particular fix did not resolve my problem. Or, only resolved part of it. Whatever the noise is, it's coming from the passenger side. That took me over to this thread:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20650&highlight=rattle

So, I disassembled the passenger rear side panel earlier today. Inside I found two hard pieces of foam that are fixed to the panel with clips, but are still loose enough to rattle. The foam parts don't appear to be sound deadening. Instead, I think they're "spacers" to keep the rear passenger panel from bowing into the sheet metal if someone leaned against it. In addition to the foam, there are two of the white plastic clips, same as the front of the passenger door, that can vibrate - gave those the electrical tape treatment.

Haven't road tested it yet. My car only makes noise on rough sections of interstate above 65mph. With Memorial Day weekend traffic, I don't think I want to venture onto the freeway just yet.

Here's a short video of one of the foam pieces:

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=acwv44>&s=8#.VWOm9Od4iQk

EDIT: 5/26/2015 - Road tested this morning and all rattles are now gone.

Last edited:

Sponsored

S550_Magnetic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT Premium PP
Anyone else do this door fix?
I did and it fixed most of my door rattles. There was no rattling at all for awhile after I did the fix but recently something else has started to rattle in there. There is a foam block, that I am pretty sure is causing my new rattle, from when there is heavy bass, it seems to knock against the metal causing a rattle.

ultimate warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Did this repair today. I tell you this much - pulling apart my 2016 is much lesser quality than an early 90s Nissan or Toyota, let alone 2003 Nissan/Infiniti.

I was pretty sure i was going to break the window control panel with those idiotic blue plastic clips.

The plastic vapor lock panels were never fully pressed into the black sealant and there were several air gaps around.

Also whoever designed that little flap panel behind the door handle should be shot.

One of the harnesses wasnt pressed into its locking hole.

Hopefully my rattle is now gone.

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Little Background.

As soon as I got the car off the lot I noticed a little rattle from the door, but it was not much of an issue as it would only do it for a few seconds and go away for the rest of a drive. Well this weekend I took the car for a 200mile round trip drive and the rattle was so bad for almost an hour straight that at one point I had to pull over as it was bothering me to the point of anger. :frusty:
The rattle in my case would go away when I put pressure on the door close to the handle, and as soon as I would remove pressure the noise would come right back.

I proceed to remove the door card using this video as a guide.
[ame]

And here is what I found.

These 2 alligator pressure clips were very wide in terms of opening vs sheet metal thickness and move around like crazy. And even though they tighten up when you tighten the hardware, the can still vibrate.
*I also found hardware that secures to them not be very tight on my car, which allows them to move around even more. Thanks FORD:clap2:
20150405_192312_zpserr895go.jpg

To remove them simply take off the foam pads that you see next to the clips and pull the clips off.
Quick solution was to grab some pliers and tighten the gap till both ends were touching by compressing the closed end of the clip. This way when the clips go back in they are now pre-loaded.

Left is after tightening, the right was before for comparison.
20150405_193011_zpsgyjxxb8g.jpg

I also put a little electrical tape to prevent metal to metal contact on both sides door skin. To access it on the back side you can have 1) small fingers 2) remove the plastic and deal with the black goo of death.

End result
20150405_193639_zpsjandwpgy.jpg

Next was the plastic clips that are towards the dash side of the car. These had so much play that they move around and vibrate like crazy when you lift up the door card and shake it. The hole that the clips snap into are oversized and the clips slide into an oversized slot, so once the door card snaps into the door they are free to rattle as there is nothing to keep the clips from moving around.
My fix at this time is to put several layers of electrical tape above and below the slots that the clips go into, putting pre-load on the clips. (Ill probably order some felt adhesive strips and fix this issue when I get some more time)
20150405_194837_zpswbd33tc7.jpg

These were the only areas of concern that I could find at this current time as everything else was solid and did not make any noise no matter how hard I tried tapping and shaking everything.

Hope this helps some people out.

Follow-up: After driving the car with different temps the rattle issue in the door is solved. Car is now silent inside, just as it should have been from the factory :)
Hey there, I just worked on the same alligator clips but found that when removing them they scratch the paint a bit since they have that crater in it. I'm assuming it scratched when you also took them off?
Sponsored