Sponsored

What is your opinion progressive springs?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
It's in the title. I want to pose the question to gain more information and opinions. Most folks here seem to dislike progressive springs and favor linear ones. But other folks have said that there's nothing wrong with them and can actually handle better if setup right.

What's your view on progressives and why?
Sponsored

jc1804

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 50th Race red
I like mine, but im one who doesn't track at all. strictly a DD car.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
LOL it depends what you use your car for. Mine is a DD that will never see track time, I love the progressives and wouldn't change. When you lower the car, you decrease the spring travel. Without using a progressive spring, you have to use a stiffer spring due to the shorter travel. The progressive allows for a softer initial spring rate and progressively gets stiffer.

The Steeda Progressive springs provide a soft initial rate to absorb bumps, even better than stock but then get pretty stiff after initial deflection providing great stability in cornering. Of course you would get better predictable performance from a linear spring if you are tracking the car. Half the people that say they are trash have no clue what they are talking about or why they think that, only that someone said it...

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Sportlines are one of my favorite springs. They actullay ride on the softer included bump stops to achieve the spring rate.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
What are you doing with the car?

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
LOL it depends what you use your car for. Mine is a DD that will never see track time, I love the progressives and wouldn't change. When you lower the car, you decrease the spring travel. Without using a progressive spring, you have to use a stiffer spring due to the shorter travel. The progressive allows for a softer initial spring rate and progressively gets stiffer.

The Steeda Progressive springs provide a soft initial rate to absorb bumps, even better than stock but then get pretty stiff after initial deflection providing great stability in cornering. Of course you would get better predictable performance from a linear spring if you are tracking the car. Half the people that say they are trash have no clue what they are talking about or why they think that, only that someone said it...
LOL thanks for that intuitive answer.
32547227785_8d002ef7da_z_d.jpg

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
Linear spring = More predictable performance.

You've also got to consider spring rate. The spring rate must be matched to the dampeners performance....or you'll get a bouncy ride.

BMR Performance Springs have close to stock spring rates, which makes them perfect for the stock Performance Pack shocks.

BMR SP080: (F) 170 lb/in, (R) 740 lb/in
Stock springs (PP): (F) 165 lb/in, 728 lb/in

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Unless you're a track rat and only use the car for racing, the progressives beat the linears anyday of the week due to smoother ride. On the track they don't compare like others mentioned and you should get linears, but I doubt very much that you will reach the limits of a progressive spring on the street where a linear one would benefit you.

And unless you're driving on R comps on the street, your tires will be the first limit you hit on the street not springs...so the difference between linear and progressive on street performance is very little if any.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you're a track rat and only use the car for racing, the progressives beat the linears anyday of the week due to smoother ride. On the track they don't compare like others mentioned and you should get linears, but I doubt very much that you will reach the limits of a progressive spring on the street where a linear one would benefit you.

And unless you're driving on R comps on the street, your tires will be the first limit you hit on the street not springs...so the difference between linear and progressive on street performance is very little if any.
The handling improvements of a linear spring are noticeable on regular street tires too, even when you're just driving spiritedly and not at the limit.

Progressives are great for people who want a drop without sacrificing much ride quality, but are much less concerned with handling consistency or performance....i.e. a huge portion of Mustang buyers/modders.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The handling improvements of a linear spring are noticeable on regular street tires too, even when you're just driving spiritedly and not at the limit.
I personally haven't noticed much (besides smoothness and ride quality) between the two, but maybe it's because I'm comparing a set of coilovers with progressive springs vs. a set of aftermarket struts/shocks with linear springs. Even on the track, my times were similar between the two combos but then again I'm not at a point skill level wise to really push the limits of the car.

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Its all subjective too.

KW V3 uses a progressive spring, and i would much rather run that than a cheap linear spring coilover. I know your only talking springs, but i'm just giving another scenario.

I ran HKS Hipermax III (linear) and KW V3 (progressive) on my 350Z on the track, and to be honest, i preferred the KW's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
One reason I am asking is that my Ford Racing springs are progressive and i don't feel any lack of consistency? But maybe because I am just on the street. But why else would Ford Racing design these for their track pack? Unfortunately their specs are not published.

I'm not thinking of changing, I just want to learn more.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
One reason I am asking is that my Ford Racing springs are progressive and i don't feel any lack of consistency? But maybe because I am just on the street. But why else would Ford Racing design these for their track pack? Unfortunately their specs are not published.

I'm not thinking of changing, I just want to learn more.
I've always been surprised by this, since they offer two sets (one for street, one track-focused, supposedly). The only reason I can think they did this was because the rates they chose were deemed too harsh for the street OR wouldn't be a great match to the dampers. It's hard to know the exact reason.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I've always been surprised by this, since they offer two sets (one for street, one track-focused, supposedly). The only reason I can think they did this was because the rates they chose were deemed too harsh for the street OR wouldn't be a great match to the dampers. It's hard to know the exact reason.
My belief is the dampers.

This is also why I believe people who upgrade to linear lowering springs aren't satisfied with the handling compared to those who upgrade both the shocks and springs.
Sponsored