Sponsored

Partially toasted cats?

Brian Z.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Have a KB that's probably making about 650 to the wheels (have not dyno'd) on 93 octane and have the ngauge. She's my daily driver and for the most part the KB kit has been very reliable and strong. I have a strange issue where at part throttle it just bogs and shakes badly, and if I don't let off the throttle I will sometimes even get a check engine light briefly. A few times it's bogged so badly that I've almost gotten hit when pulling out into traffic. Never does it at full throttle, more like when I get on it mildly such as getting onto the freeway. It seems worse when the car hasn't been running very long, but it can happen even after fully warmed up.

So the only thing I can think of is that the cats are partially clogged, or there's a tune related issue. Thoughts? How to determine if the cats are okay?

Been thinking of putting LT's on and ditching the cats, but not sure I want the added volume on my daily, plus I do most of my own work and I know the install is a pita. Might end up doing LT's though if my cats are clogged.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Really doubt its your cats,wot would bog even worse if the cats were clogged

OP
OP
Brian Z.

Brian Z.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Well ironically as I was driving to my son's football game the car started to sputter much worse than before and then shut off. Now it won't start. Turns over but won't start like there's no fuel, so I'm pretty sure the pump is fried. Waiting on a tow truck now. I'm going to see what options I have to possibly ditch the bap so I don't get stranded again like this. Sucks. About 19000 miles on the car and over 10k with the KB.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Brian Z.

Brian Z.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
Likely killed the pump. Check all your fuses, though that would likely be instantaneous and not slowly die.

cyandhappiness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Premium PP
The boost a pump taps the plug of the fuel pump power, I would check the wiring under your passenger seat behind the driver seat to make sure it's getting proper voltage and nothing is loose, like venumous said if the fuel pump fail it won't slowly die, it'll just shut off immediately

OP
OP
Brian Z.

Brian Z.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Yes it was the fuel pump that left me stranded. As mentioned I've had the KB and KB bap on for about 10k miles, and the pump was cheap and easy to replace, so now I'm going to carry a spare in the trunk with a fuel line tool so if I get stranded again I can easily replace the pump. A friend of mine got about 9000 miles out of his fuel pump with a bap so maybe its not that unusual. Don't really want to put a full fuel system in it at this point since I don't plan to up the HP anytime soon and don't have time to mess with it.

TwinTurboMustang.net

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
From the picture above I think your cats are toast. Lol
Sponsored