Sponsored

Tow Hooks - ZL1 Version

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Installed the splitter without jack stands? You must be a magician.
I drove it up a makeshift ramp made of 4 pieces of 1" plywood. It was barely sufficient.
Sponsored

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Front splitter is not that hard to remove. I've done it. One you feel like it's going to break, pull a little harder and it will pop loose.
You need to start from one side of the splitter and work your way across. If you try to pull it straight out, it won't come off, there are too many clips to release at one time.

jlwdvm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 350R, '13 Boss 302, '15 Z/28, '69 TA
You can leave the splitter attached to the bumber, just remove all the screws holding the belly pan to the bottom of the car. Then remove the bumper screws, and most of the inner fender push tabs. There is a hidden screw that holds the bumper fascia to the front of the fender (at the seam between the 2 at the front of the fender)....don't miss this. It is a pain to get out, but just takes a little time. I then pulled the front bumper (with belly pah attached) forward and then rested it on some wood blocks while I installed the front bracket. There are directions on how to deal with the temp sender (easy). It really isn't that hard, just takes time, and I would have the car up on jack stands (I have a lift, but only had the car as high as jack stands).

I removed the rear diffuser and lower fascia for the rear hook. I made a took out of a small square, level, and piece of aluminum to get the location to drill the hole in the rear bumper (after finding the center). I then temporarily installed the bracket and hook to mark the holes in the bumper beam. Get a set of cheap masonry bits to drill the bumper beam holes.....that steal is hard!

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
What's this temp sensor, for outdoor temps? Do base models have it?

jlwdvm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 350R, '13 Boss 302, '15 Z/28, '69 TA
Yes, outdoor temp sensor. It is held in place with a push pin. If I remember right, all you have to do is remove the sensor from its base and then turn it 180 and reinstall without the base.

Sponsored

geb78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Just got my ZL1 tow hook installed today at the shop. They removed the front bumper for access. It took them more time than they expected.

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Just got my ZL1 tow hook installed today at the shop. They removed the front bumper for access. It took them more time than they expected.
That's what I was afraid of. I've got an HPDE event this weekend that apparently won't require a tow hook, fortunately. I'll install it myself when I have some spare time (so March 2018 or so).

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I ordered the rear receiver but I dont think I got it. What does it look like?

Sponsored

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
Judging from internet pics alone, it seems like there's the possibility of the shank deflecting and damaging the grill/rear bumper while being towed. What do you guys think?

Anyone with these been towed yet?

voodoo2017

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Had the dealer install the tow hook receiver before they installed the front splitter. Yes, they had to drop the belly pan. Since we need to run a front plate, ordered the front plate adapter - it just screws in place of the tow hook. No pics with the tow hook on the car yet. Also had the ZL1 splitter washers installed at the same time that the splitter was installed.
FrontEndFri1.JPG
tow hook edited.JPG

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Well, I failed to get the ZL1 hook installed during my free time today. In fact, failed to even get the bumper off. I got all the fasteners on the top and the one on each side that holds the bumper the fenders. I removed every darn fastener I could find on the bottom, but I can't get the darn bumper off. The bumper "hangs" and I can access the mounting point (I think?), but the sucker won't pull free. I don't know if I'm missing a fastener or if there some clips that I just need to yank on.

Any advice is appreciated!

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
I can't help you with the front fascia removal (I installed my tow hook yesterday from underneath, which I DO NOT recommend), but I do have one tip for you once you get the tow hook receiver installed... Before you screw in the actual tow hook, cut a 3/8" to 1/2" long section off a small bolt and insert it into the hole in the receiver. This will act as a positive stop for the tow hook so that you can fully tighten it without the edge pushing in the honeycomb grille or putting pressure directly against the grille.
Sponsored