Sponsored

Paddle shifting the V6 Auto

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Premium 51A, GT 18"wheels, spoiler
If you drive in the sport mode and paddle shift all the time, you know that the transmission will shift on it own coming off a stop. I found when I come to a stop if I squeeze the - paddle it set the transmission in the shift mode only and will not shift on it own. So every time I stop I squeeze the - paddle.:clap2:
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Huh?
I am pretty sure in S mode once you touch the paddles, it will stay in paddle mode. In that mode it only downshifts if the rpm is too low instead of keeping the rpm high in just S mode.

OP
OP

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Huh?
I am pretty sure in S mode once you touch the paddles, it will stay in paddle mode. In that mode it only downshifts if the rpm is too low instead of keeping the rpm high in just S mode.
Your right but in city traffic you don't know when its going to shift. I like having control over my shifting and keeping the RPM's up and keeping the engine from loading up in city traffic. I can tell after driving in the city and then driving on the highway for a round trip of about 120 miles and blowing out the engine.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Your right but in city traffic you don't know when its going to shift. I like having control over my shifting and keeping the RPM's up and keeping the engine from loading up in city traffic. I can tell after driving in the city and then driving on the highway for a round trip of about 120 miles and blowing out the engine.
I wonder if it does the automatic downshift like the Lambos by holding down the downshift paddle while slowing down.
On the lambos, you just hold it and it will downshift at maximum rpm while slowing down.

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
never used my paddle shifters, but do i have to if i go into sports mode?

Sponsored

CIASpook

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 3.7 V6
Paddle Shifters

No. In Drive, they are temporary manual override. You can up and down shift and it'll hold the gear for a moment before going back to Auto. This is useful when doing lane changes and you need to increase your speed. A manual downshift will be faster than giving the car a heavy enough load on the throttle to cause the transmission to downshift.

When in Sport Mode, if you do not see your gear on the middle LCD panel, then it'll shift for you through all gears except 6th. Or at least I've never driven fast enough to make it want to shift into 6th. But if you at any time use the paddle shifters, that will put the transmission in almost full manual control. You can run high RPMs and it won't upshift for you. It might if you redline it long enough, I've never tried and don't recommend it. On the flip side, if your RPMs get too low, it'll downshift automatically to prevent stalling.

If you want manual control, I recommend taking over ASAP. If you're in Sport and it's still in the auto mode, it'll "double shift" if you decide to change gears around the same time the computer wants to change gears, then it'll make your shift and then add its shift.

This happened to me a year ago when I was trying to do some 0-60 runs. Kept posting 7.1 times because when I'd shift into 2nd gear which dropped it to I think 4,000 RPM, when I got to 4500, it'd shift to 3rd. Reason was because I didn't have full manual mode engaged when I started the run.

OP
OP

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport mode will shift auto but holds the shift longer than Drive. Paddle shifting is just like a manual. I only use the paddle shifting and have ran it to the redline 7200.

kodypiccirilli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
2015 Twin Turbo Mustang V6
Sport mode will shift auto but holds the shift longer than Drive. Paddle shifting is just like a manual. I only use the paddle shifting and have ran it to the redline 7200.
I thought rev limiter was at 7000

Sponsored

CIASpook

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 3.7 V6
Tune not necessary

It is but if you get a SCT 93 tuner from SCT direct you get a menu that allows you to adjust the rev limiter, red line, shifting firmness on auto.
My car is not tuned. Rev limit is around 7300.

If you examine the tech closely in the redline area, from 7000 to about 7300 it is shaded differently. The end if that shaded area is where my needle stopped.

I'm saying 7300 because based on the rest the scale, that shaded area is more than 25% but less than half. Somewhere. Between 7250-7500.

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Most of my driving is sitting in traffic - Paddle shifting becomes a chore then so I don't do it.. But when I can actually get my car above 10mph then I do enjoy using them. I don't mind that it auto shifts down to 1st when you are coming to a stop, makes it easier than a proper manual. It's fun to drive using the paddle shifters. A great way to learn gearing if you've only ever driven an auto (I learned how to drive on a stick shift in the UK, but all my cars have been auto since I moved to the USA).

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I've not tried them because I've never driven a manual car, but what happens if I shift up or down once then stop? Will the computer take over again by itself?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I've not tried them because I've never driven a manual car, but what happens if I shift up or down once then stop? Will the computer take over again by itself?
As you are slowing to a stop, it will shift down by itself as appropriate - even in manual mode. For example, if you're in manual mode and in 5th, it will shift to 4th when RPM is low enough, then 3rd. Then when you're almost most to a stop or at a stop, it will shift right to 1st.

Edit : sorry I have the GT. I assume the V6 is the same though.

OP
OP

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've paddle shifted since day one, up and down 2 years and 12,900 miles. In city driving I run through 1st, 2nd, 3rd at 3500 to 4000 rpm's. I down shift from 3rd to 2nd at every stop light. At a stop light I tap on the - paddle to lock it in shift mode if you don't it will shift on it's own. When I drive on the highway (I-95) I up shift all gears at 5000 to 7000 rpm's, 80 to 100 mph. I treat my auto tranny like a manual.
Sponsored