Sponsored

Question about the Belgian car taxes

emix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT manual LB
Wow I thought the 1500 EUR per year was steep for a gt. In my country the EcoBoost would be taxed just 200 eur per year but the GT is taxed 1500.
Sponsored

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
Here EB has 1800 eur tax\year, GT has more than 4000 eur tax\year.

Politicians don't care about people because all political parties are the same, they only want to get money from people so it's irrilevant what party wins..

Toecutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Bloody hell guys. Just reading these posts makes my eyes water. I have a GT on order in the UK and will have to pay around ÂŁ2000 road tax for the first year then ÂŁ140 a year from then on. If I had to pay the type of taxes in this thread I could never afford my dream car. As it is I've had to save for close to 2 years to get together a full deposit and a bit extra for mods etc.

Nicolas05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EB Oxford White
That's why I'm very happy with the Ecoboost model... I know the die-hards think V8 is the only way for a Mustang, but in different EU countries it is just almost impossible, or you really have to be rich. :D

If I see the low taxes in some countries, I would absolutely have bought the V8.
But paying (in 5 years), around 28.000€ ONLY in taxes for a V8, I really just can't justify it to myself...

Sponsored

MustangMustHaves

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mustangmusthaves.be
First Name
PJ
Vehicle(s)
Euro 2016 Mustang Ecoboost MT Triple Yellow
Even worse. Autogids.be wrote an article on the Mustang about a year ago where they said you'd pay €50000 more to have a GT than an Ecoboost in only the first 5 years of ownership (assuming you do 20000k a year) living in Flanders.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Politicians don't care about people because all political parties are the same, they only want to get money from people so it's irrilevant what party wins..
Getting the money is secondary. The top priority is making people believe it doesn't matter who you vote for.

emix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT manual LB
There was discussion to harmonize annual car taxes across the EU, and several proposals were put forward, but because taxation differs so much across the EU, it was postponed as many countries budgets would've been affected. The tax harmonization would have lowered taxes significantly in a lot of countries. But considering the problems the EU has now, it's very low on the priority list, sadly. Would have been a great thing to implement and would have made a lot of people happy especially those of us who have to shell out thousands of EUR every year. Bashing the EU is fashionable these days, no one considers the good parts of it anymore.

In my country, a new Porsche 911 is taxed around 500 EUR per year whilst the Mustang is taxed 1500. A bit of a contradiction considering a 911 costs triple what a Mustang does. However considering we only live once, I'd rather be robbed of my money rather than life's pleasures :)

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
The same here: a 100k Audi Q7 pays 800 eur while a 44k Mustang GT pays 4000 eur..

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
Seems we pay most of the car taxes up front up here... annual road tax is the same for 4 wheelers... of course we also pay out the wazoo on gas and road-tolls... still... stooopid.

(oh and I don't care what Mr Clarkson says, I like the ridges on my hood... they are excellent for targetting :D)

Sponsored

LarsenGrind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lars
Vehicle(s)
2017 Euro-Spec GT
Here in Denmark a GT is 88.3k Euros. Due to lower cartaxes now (since it was released) is has dropped allmost 9.4k. Car taxes came from 180% to 150% last year.
The first 11.5k we pay 105%, and this point is now raised to 14.5k. Any car over this gets 150% for the rest of the amount. This year the GT dropped the maximum 1.4k. We got a difficult system :crazy:

We pay yearly (actualy every 6 month) on a from A-to-G scale. G being cars with the highest emission. The GT is in the G segment, and I'm gonna pay 1.5k every year for this tax.
Insurance is another 1.6k yearly. Not cheap wanting a Mustang. :frusty:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Several have called these a penalty tax. I'm guessing that is not what it is called in the law that defines it but rather an accurate anti-euphemism. Or does the law actually admit the truth and call it a penalty?

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Road Tax Price List

Price list for Wallonie attached. GT350 is off the chart (2.023,16€ + 110,35€ for each CV above 20) How do you convert CC to CV? Magic that the SPW will not share. Fortunately, Alliance (NATO) members are exempt from road tax on one car, which always defaults to the one with the biggest engine. Otherwise, from best I can tell, annual tax on a GT350 comes out to more than 5k€...

View attachment Road tax.pdf

MustangMustHaves

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mustangmusthaves.be
First Name
PJ
Vehicle(s)
Euro 2016 Mustang Ecoboost MT Triple Yellow
Price list for Wallonie attached. GT350 is off the chart (2.023,16€ + 110,35€ for each CV above 20) How do you convert CC to CV? Magic that the SPW will not share. Fortunately, Alliance (NATO) members are exempt from road tax on one car, which always defaults to the one with the biggest engine. Otherwise, from best I can tell, annual tax on a GT350 comes out to more than 5k€...

View attachment Road tax.pdf
According to the app I got, the GT350 has 25CV :)

FIY: GT 24, EB 12

emix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT manual LB
Several have called these a penalty tax. I'm guessing that is not what it is called in the law that defines it but rather an accurate anti-euphemism. Or does the law actually admit the truth and call it a penalty?
It's a penalty alright. Names differ from pollution tax to luxury tax to whatever other word you want to use. I'm half expecting to soon be taxed on home appliances. Bigger fridge = more pollution = tax, higher wattage hair dryer = more energy consumption = more pollution = more tax. You can apply this logic to anything and everything under the sun. It is what it is, but that's not going to stop me from enjoying the cars I like for as long as I'm in a position to. Frankly speaking I don't even care anymore about whatever taxes governments decide to apply, as long as it does not affect my lifestyle... Sure I'd rather spend 1500 euro on anything else than give it to the government but... what can I do? At least in my country the segment of people that are affected by extortionate car taxes is very small, so no one gives a damn. We are taxed on cubic capacity of the engine, once you go over 3000 cc taxes explode. Less than 1-2% of vehicles registered are above 3000cc, so we are charged abusive and unfair rates just because...

It's almost become a badge of honor among local car guys.

Say you buy a S class Mercedes, if you get the 3.0 diesel you're a pleb/peasant/nouveau riche and/or poser because your taxes are reasonable (400 euro per year or so in taxes) and fuel economy is good, you get the S500 with a V8 (1500-1600 euro a year in tax) and poor fuel economy, you're the real deal and got the car with an engine it deserves, shows you appreciate the car for what it is, not just as a status symbol to impress people.

Perhaps not the best example but you get the idea. Same thing with the Mustang, 2.3 = poser (200 a year to tax), 5.0 (1500 a year to tax) = passionate car guy that got an American car with an engine it deserves.
Sponsored