LT headers 1"7/8 vs. 1"3/4 for NA

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
What is the collective wisdom regarding 1"7/8 vs. 1"3/4 long tube headers for a mild NA application for Coyote?

Low torque, fitment, sound?
Sponsored

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
If you're gonna do headers, do 1 7/8. Nor really any fitment issues

OP
OP
OzS550

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
So no negatives for 1 7/8?

I will do mild exhaust (I'd like no louder than stock ideally but reasonable flow) and re-tune with at least K&N filter; may do revised CAI although not convinced this is necessary.

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
So no negatives for 1 7/8?

I will do mild exhaust (I'd like no louder than stock ideally but reasonable flow) and re-tune with at least K&N filter; may do revised CAI although not convinced this is necessary.
Flow vs sound....the LT conundrum.:lol:

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
1-7/8ths outperform 1-3/4ths as well as stepped (1-3/4ths to 1-7/8ths). There are no drawbacks...only more hp/tq to be gained.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
My research seems to indicate that 1 3/4" makes the most sense with NA but would work fine with a FI application. 1 7/8" certainly if you are already FI or are installing same time.

Apparently 1 3/4" will keep more low RPM TQ vs. 1 7/8" but the difference on Coyotes I have yet to see on dyno sheets. I mean... who's going to back-to-back difficult to install headers? Nobody. Plus everyone just gets 1 7/8".

Apparently 1 3/4" will sound a little less raspy. Haven't heard any myself.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
1-7/8" will be your best bet even for a NA car. There will be no negatives to running them over the 1-3/4" ones and won't limit you down the road in case you decide to go FI.

We're distributors for all of the top brands such as American Racing Headers, Kooks, Stainless Works/Power as well as several others.

Please let us know if there's anything we can help you with. 561-753-8105

Thanks, Jared

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Flow vs sound....the LT conundrum.:lol:
You can have both just need multiple straight through resonators/mufflers. I have front mini bullet resonators and long mid resonators but muffler delete in the rear. I'll be adding rear mufflers back onto mine here soon (probably doing a SLP LM2 AB) just to tame it a little more. It was perfect volume and tone before the headers now it's a bit too raspy and loud and boomy at part throttle. Everyone thinks I'm racing them when I'm at 1/4 throttle and shifting at or before 3000 RPMs lol.

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
1-7/8" will be your best bet even for a NA car. There will be no negatives to running them over the 1-3/4" ones and won't limit you down the road in case you decide to go FI.

We're distributors for all of the top brands such as American Racing Headers, Kooks, Stainless Works/Power as well as several others.

Please let us know if there's anything we can help you with. 561-753-8105

Thanks, Jared
This.

Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I'm running 1 7/8 Kooks with green cats and stock cat back. The sound is excellent (more aggressive but not obnoxious) though I can't speak to power as I didn't do a dyno. But the add is definitely noticeable!

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
LOL, there is no legitimate reason to get 1-3/4 headers. I'm not even sure why they even make them that size. Maybe for extra clearance, I don't know. But do yourself a favor and just get the bigger ones. Even if you plan to stay NA.

P51DNA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
You can have both just need multiple straight through resonators/mufflers. I have front mini bullet resonators and long mid resonators but muffler delete in the rear. I'll be adding rear mufflers back onto mine here soon (probably doing a SLP LM2 AB) just to tame it a little more. It was perfect volume and tone before the headers now it's a bit too raspy and loud and boomy at part throttle. Everyone thinks I'm racing them when I'm at 1/4 throttle and shifting at or before 3000 RPMs lol.
You're not running a 3" exhaust? Or you're going to step in down to 2 1/2 after the axel?

We have similar exhaust setups. I'm thinking of switching to a resonated x or maybe a universal muffler though to try and reduce that boomy sound. I don't want to waste anymore money on exhaust than I have to so I've eliminated axel back option because of cost and 2 1/2 designs.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Solo Mach Thunder behind headers... sounds great. Header sound refinement benefits from a mid mount resonator/muffler just after the header (like is the case with Solo exhausts) - at least in every instance I've heard cars with headers Solo exhaust or not - as opposed to just an H or X pipe and then mufflers (if any) out back. Don't have to agree with me... just my limited experience.

Last edited:

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
You're not running a 3" exhaust? Or you're going to step in down to 2 1/2 after the axel?

We have similar exhaust setups. I'm thinking of switching to a resonated x or maybe a universal muffler though to try and reduce that boomy sound. I don't want to waste anymore money on exhaust than I have to so I've eliminated axel back option because of cost and 2 1/2 designs.
Mine tapers from 3" mids to 2.75" at the X pipe and 2.5" out of the X pipe.
Sponsored