1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Luckily I don't live in a state where I need awd. To me AWD is like a crutch. Yes it will perform the best on all pavements, but when you get out launched by a rwd car, its hilarious.

I have more respect for autos in that they are fast but still take away the skill and fun.

Just say no to awd.
Sponsored

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
is it just me and what looks like only a handful of people that think AWD will never happen anytime soon on the Mustang? AWD guys? really? This is the quintessential RWD American car. period. Despite being very useful for a tight two door, it is still a car that purposely compromises on certain things and is SIMPLE enough to be accessible to everyone. That reason alone is more than enough to rule out AWD. AWD is a far too complicated and heavy solution to 'beat the competition'. AWD also changes the dynamic of how this car performs, IMO too much to still be Mustang (even with a 'drift mode'). Ford will do everything in the book to make this car go better before resorting to that.

This car is already chastised enough for being "heavy" (which I think is blown out of proportion), so adding weight wouldn't benefit it even with overwhelming power. Not a single blown Vette has AWD and it is MUCH lighter (harder to put down the traction) and the same goes even for the Hellcat. Chevy's 'traction management' has gained a lot of praise for its work in modern 'vettes and Camaros, Ferrari managed 730hp in the RWD F12, McLaren did so in the P1. Ford clearly still has a lot of room to assist traction electronically, mechanically, and aerodynamically.

Mustang is RWD with attitude...the premise of this car is cheap fun. Losing the ability to do a burnout in the nuttiest halo model of all mustangs seems antithetical. An AWD super-performance car would seem more in line with Lincoln. Lets see a Shelby inspired Lincoln, that brand needs some much needed inspiration

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
Would love this Lincoln S550 platform in v8 AWD TT A10sp
image.jpg

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
is it just me and what looks like only a handful of people that think AWD will never happen anytime soon on the Mustang? AWD guys? really? This is the quintessential RWD American car. period. Despite being very useful for a tight two door, it is still a car that purposely compromises on certain things and is SIMPLE enough to be accessible to everyone. That reason alone is more than enough to rule out AWD. AWD is a far too complicated and heavy solution to 'beat the competition'. AWD also changes the dynamic of how this car performs, IMO too much to still be Mustang (even with a 'drift mode'). Ford will do everything in the book to make this car go better before resorting to that.

This car is already chastised enough for being "heavy" (which I think is blown out of proportion), so adding weight wouldn't benefit it even with overwhelming power. Not a single blown Vette has AWD and it is MUCH lighter (harder to put down the traction) and the same goes even for the Hellcat. Chevy's 'traction management' has gained a lot of praise for its work in modern 'vettes and Camaros, Ferrari managed 730hp in the RWD F12, McLaren did so in the P1. Ford clearly still has a lot of room to assist traction electronically, mechanically, and aerodynamically.

Mustang is RWD with attitude...the premise of this car is cheap fun. Losing the ability to do a burnout in the nuttiest halo model of all mustangs seems antithetical. An AWD super-performance car would seem more in line with Lincoln. Lets see a Shelby inspired Lincoln, that brand needs some much needed inspiration

Well said.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
NO BODY WANT'S A AWD MUSTANG
I do. Building an AWD halo Mustang would not have an impact on the volume production trims. If you wanted a classic RWD coupe, you could still get one.

BTW, why do you have "1990 hatchback" in your profile, but the picture in your avatar is a foxbody coupe?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
is it just me and what looks like only a handful of people that think AWD will never happen anytime soon on the Mustang? AWD guys? really? This is the quintessential RWD American car. period.
Probably a lot of people are like you. Not just a few. I understand one of my talents is thinking outside of the box and some people don't like unique or new solutions to problems. I also think that as long as the Mustang is RWD first with an assist from the front wheels it isn't harming the legacy. I would never want to see the Mustang become front wheel drive. I agree that goes against tradition. But having a super powerful version with the front wheels helping to get 0-60 close to or under 3 seconds, that will only grow the reputation of Ford and the Mustang.

Despite being very useful for a tight two door, it is still a car that purposely compromises on certain things and is SIMPLE enough to be accessible to everyone. That reason alone is more than enough to rule out AWD. AWD is a far too complicated and heavy solution to 'beat the competition'. AWD also changes the dynamic of how this car performs, IMO too much to still be Mustang (even with a 'drift mode'). Ford will do everything in the book to make this car go better before resorting to that.
Somewhat true of the base V6 model, but not even close on the GT500. The Mustang is a very complicated and sophisticated machine now, and the GT500 is not expected to be an overly simple version of it. The GT500 is expected to have more luxury, more power, etc. None of that goes with simple.

I think an AWD could be designed in such a way to boost 0-60 by a second or more but also with modes in the ECU that allow the car to act like it is RWD.

This car is already chastised enough for being "heavy" (which I think is blown out of proportion), so adding weight wouldn't benefit it even with overwhelming power. Not a single blown Vette has AWD and it is MUCH lighter (harder to put down the traction) and the same goes even for the Hellcat.
The Hellcat is a perfect example of why AWD is a good idea for the GT500. I watched a video on youtube where people tried over and over to get the fastest possible 0-60 in a Hellcat. Suffice it to say a stock Mustang GT could beat it.

Chevy's 'traction management' has gained a lot of praise for its work in modern 'vettes and Camaros, Ferrari managed 730hp in the RWD F12, McLaren did so in the P1. Ford clearly still has a lot of room to assist traction electronically, mechanically, and aerodynamically.
There's just a slight difference in the traction available on a rear or mid engine car compared to a front engine. ;)

Mustang is RWD with attitude...the premise of this car is cheap fun.
Like I said, somewhat true of the base V6 model, but not even close on the GT500.

Losing the ability to do a burnout in the nuttiest halo model of all mustangs seems antithetical.
Any AWD on the GT500 would include the ability to easily turn it off for those who want to punish the rear tires while going nowhere.

An AWD super-performance car would seem more in line with Lincoln. Lets see a Shelby inspired Lincoln, that brand needs some much needed inspiration
Small and sporty doesn't really go with Lincoln IMO, but who knows?

Last edited:

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
x2! Ford should produce a rear-wheel drive, big V-8 Supercharged/Blown, 6 speed and/or 10 speed auto, IMO the AWD platform should be left to the Ford GT (flame suit on!) The GT500's natural competition (American cars) are RWD, i.e. Hellcat, ZL1, Z28, Viper, Corvette. Ford can easily produce a 700 h/p RWD Mustang.
NO BODY WANT'S A AWD MUSTANG

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Awd is not needed to get a car like the hellcat to accelerate well. Its called learn how to drive a high horsepower car. Modulate the pedal. If you lose to a stock mustang in a hellcat you have no business owning a car you cant handle. Its clearly too much car and those people are the ones that wreck their cars when it steps out because they cant handle it. They need to sell it. They are a danger to everyone.

I had zero issues with my 900+ whp 14 gt500. I had zero issues stock. Modulate the pedal properly and you dont lose to drastically slower cars

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
x2! Ford should produce a rear-wheel drive, big V-8 Supercharged/Blown, 6 speed and/or 10 speed auto, IMO the AWD platform should be left to the Ford GT (flame suit on!) The GT500's natural competition (American cars) are RWD, i.e. Hellcat, ZL1, Z28, Viper, Corvette. Ford can easily produce a 700 h/p RWD Mustang.
I'm with you brother! :thumbsup:

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
I think we will see a 675 hp 3700lb GT500. My only toss up will be v6 or v8. Thinking v6 as they have already done it and they will want to showcase the ecoboost platform.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Most likely be a 5.2L FPC V8 twin charged (super/turbocharged), 10-spd, AWD hybrid weighing less than 3,500lbs for under $70K.

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
Probably a lot of people are like you. Not just a few. I understand one of my talents is thinking outside of the box and some people don't like unique or new solutions to problems. I also think that as long as the Mustang is RWD first with an assist from the front wheels it isn't harming the legacy. I would never want to see the Mustang become front wheel drive. I agree that goes against tradition. But having a super powerful version with the front wheels helping to get 0-60 close to or under 3 seconds, that will only grow the reputation of Ford and the Mustang.
Do you know me? :paddle: Funny I thought waving the magical AWD wand was taking the easy way out while finding creative, novel solutions to RWD traction management would be considered thinking outside the box :doh: FYI Ford spent millions of dollars answering that question for a very good reason. So did Ferrari. AWD will most definitely harm this car's legacy regardless of performance numbers. Learn to think outside the box.

Somewhat true of the base V6 model, but not even close on the GT500. The Mustang is a very complicated and sophisticated machine now, and the GT500 is not expected to be an overly simple version of it. The GT500 is expected to have more luxury, more power, etc. None of that goes with simple.
By definition, the Mustang is cheap fun. Every Shelby has been the epitome of that philosophy. They are most definitely NOT very complicated or very sophisticated. Blower, stiff suspension, simple coolers and fixed wings. Case in point the GT350, which is decontented. It has a poorer interior, eliminated options for big ticket tech items (ex. radar cruise, auto wipers). Look at any import with even 'just' 500hp and they have FAR more technology, be it advanced trick diffs or other electrical and mechanical doo-dads, active aerodynamics, etc.

Ford can advertise this car as being all new and modern but all they did was bring it into this decade. Limited slip and an IRS are very old technologies. Macpherson up front, no double wishbone. Cooled seats? I mean I am really scratching my head trying to figure out what exactly makes you think this car is so very complicated and sophisticated. Polished, yes. Remember, you can get rear seat heaters and collision assist in a Hyundai Elantra. That does not make it a sophisticated car.

I think an AWD could be designed in such a way to boost 0-60 by a second or more but also with modes in the ECU that allow the car to act like it is RWD.

The Hellcat is a perfect example of why AWD is a good idea for the GT500. I watched a video on youtube where people tried over and over to get the fastest possible 0-60 in a Hellcat. Suffice it to say a stock Mustang GT could beat it.

Any AWD on the GT500 would include the ability to easily turn it off for those who want to punish the rear tires while going nowhere.
:lol::lol::lol:
Any halfway decent wheelman in a Hellcat would DEMOLISH a GT. A few amateurs on youtube doesn't refute the amount of people that have perfected the art of a launch in a RWD car.

A computer controlled "drift mode" is no solution to the driving dynamics of a RWD car. The extra weight of AWD running gear, even disengaged, will cause more understeer. This is exactly what happens when people become number jockeys that chase 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Ruin the car and the heritage with weight and understeer so you can brag about a 0-60 time?

There's just a slight difference in the traction available on a rear or mid engine car compared to a front engine. ;)
and that means absolutely nothing when there is 600hp+ churning through two driven wheels :headbonk:

Small and sporty doesn't really go with Lincoln IMO, but who knows
The mustang is considered big for a two door. Lincoln needs a healthy dose of sporty to resuscitate its floundering reputation
Sponsored