OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
No, that's simply wrong. Production has stopped as it always does, in order to switch over to the new model year. They're not still looking for a fix to Z06 cooling, they've already announced changes, including using the hood element that they're already using on the ZL1.

Engineers have to design these types of changes months ahead of time so they can go through a full QA cycle, then have time for suppliers to tool up, etc.
No that's wrong, production has no resumed as of today.

The exterior fixes (hood/fascia) were designs that were initially approved before C7 release. They need crash tested and have already been wind tested. If they were better before, why not use them to begin with.

There is a larger radiator coming for the z06 and as of now, the '17's aren't being made. If the z06 has issues, the zl1 will too.

Also, people who already have z06's need to pay for the fix. Pricing and a release date have not been released.

They had to remove the entire bumper cover on the zl1 and I'm not 100% sure it's legal. The bumper beam is exposed but wrapped in plastic... That's how bad cooling an LT4 has become.
Sponsored

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The 2017 rumors got fired up again this week. First, there are some media sources trying to guess the engine.

thePill was directed to some YouTube video's of, what is suppose to be 2 possible engines.

First one is said to be a SC Coyote. This is the Mach 1 configuration that I believe was discussed months ago. I believe the Mach 1 has become a GT package or, the '17 GT500 could use a SC 5.0 until this is ready...

The 2nd video was obviously a turbo, you can hear waste gates... The source is unconfirmed and there is little to prove they are real sound clips.

Find and listen to the TT, Torque speculates that it is indeed a Voodoo-type Twin Turbo making over 800hp.

2017 GT500 still up on Google.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Everyone thinks engineers are so damn smart, the lack of cooling proves that on a track car. If they knew ahead of time that it had cooling issues and didn't address them then that's poor, if they didn't know then that's poor engineering and lack of proper testing. Either way it's their fault.

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
The 2017 rumors got fired up again this week. First, there are some media sources trying to guess the engine.

thePill was directed to some YouTube video's of, what is suppose to be 2 possible engines.

First one is said to be a SC Coyote. This is the Mach 1 configuration that I believe was discussed months ago. I believe the Mach 1 has become a GT package or, the '17 GT500 could use a SC 5.0 until this is ready...

The 2nd video was obviously a turbo, you can hear waste gates... The source is unconfirmed and there is little to prove they are real sound clips.

Find and listen to the TT, Torque speculates that it is indeed a Voodoo-type Twin Turbo making over 800hp.

2017 GT500 still up on Google.
That's alot of heat, hope they not going to be in limp mode.

is this the video you referring to?
[ame]

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Everyone thinks engineers are so damn smart, the lack of cooling proves that on a track car. If they knew ahead of time that it had cooling issues and didn't address them then that's poor, if they didn't know then that's poor engineering and lack of proper testing. Either way it's their fault.
Engineers are real people - some are brilliant, others less so. All of them are human and prone to mistakes.

Also keep in mind the engineers don't have the final say on what equipment will be sold.

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Engineers are real people - some are brilliant, others less so. All of them are human and prone to mistakes.

Also keep in mind the engineers don't have the final say on what equipment will be sold.
I'll accept that answer if it was just one person. But as a group no. No reason for it. This isn't rocket science. This is 2016, not 1930. Everyone knows cars needs coolers and heat kills. How many times does that have to sink in before they learn. It doesn't take a engineer to figure that out.

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
I'll accept that answer if it was just one person. But as a group no. No reason for it. This isn't rocket science. This is 2016, not 1930. Everyone knows cars needs coolers and heat kills. How many times does that have to sink in before they learn. It doesn't take a engineer to figure that out.
Im sure other limitations led to this design. I haven't researched whats going on with them, but any good design can be ruined by other groups in the company. Sometimes the best designs get shot down or changed by sales and marketing (maybe in this case by the limitations of the body design), and sometimes the stupidest ideas and designs come from sales and marketing. I would doubt that the engineers didn't know about this. I would actually bet that who ever did the cooling system did the best they could squeeze in and were still mad about it in the end.

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
wrong again. engineering is a balance between function and cost and what accounting/management allows. GM has proven time and time again they have good engineering but crap management. As have all american car companies

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
wrong again. engineering is a balance between function and cost and what accounting/management allows. GM has proven time and time again they have good engineering but crap management. As have all american car companies
That is called COMPROMISE and a lot of that happens. However, this is the z06... Top of the line, zero compromise. The C6 Z06 and GT350 are the truest form of that, as well as the Viper.

Sponsored

HCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
In the bad old days, a reliable way to rise through the ranks of GM management was through Finance. So you ended up with guys that just looked at cars as widgets and the key was to manage costs.

But look at Raj Nair. It's inarguable that his being an enthusiast leads to better Ford products. He insisted that the GT350 have those wild pops and crackles on lift throttle because it just sounded cool and he also was the one that made sure the RS got Drift Mode, which was unplanned & started off as just some engineers playing around while calibrating the drivetrain.

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
That's alot of heat, hope they not going to be in limp mode.

is this the video you referring to?
That is suppose to be a Mach 1 Coyote, it's supercharged and between 600-650.

[ame]

This is suppose to be a Twin Turbo V8.

That is all this guy does is post engine sounds on YouTube?

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Hmmmm, a random YouTube video with a Photoshopped GT350 and sound clips that could be anything.

I want to believe, but it'll take more than this to convince me ;)

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Looking forward to this reveal!
Sponsored

Last edited: