Sponsored

Shelby GTE

Crossroads

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP FRPP2
The cheapening of the Shelby name in full swing?

Like this is somehow worse than the Dodge Omni?! Hello melodrama...
Exactly what I talked to Gary Patterson about in Myrtle Beach. You can take a GT and they will Shelby-E badge it in 6 months for $18K min. This gets you around 20 hp and some suspension and appearance goodies. Prices go up from there.

My take was don't you think it cheapens the brand? His comment was "I like my cars, but I like my money. If you had brought a 67 Shelby what is it worth compared to if you had just bought a Mustang?"

Think about what you can do for $18K in upgrades to a GT or base. But it has a badge, and you can call it a Shelby, and I guess that appeals to some people albeit with 400 rwhp.

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
But you should rent "A Faster Horse"
When Shelby started out he was not charging a small fortune for their modded cars.
Today you can built a faster horse on your own without the Shelby
Name and be a whole lot cheaper. ;)
I have book upon book on the topic, thanks, not to mention a book or two containing the actual period road tests with the pricing info....

If you compare prices of the day, '60s Shelby Mustang prices were near that of Corvettes of the time. They were a tad more expensive than the typical Mustang.

You could build a better performing car back in the '60s for less too, using all of the same parts Shelby did. The situation hasn't changed, really. It's just that the car that has that CSM tag might carry a little more residual value sometime far down the road.

OP
OP
GTRacerX.

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Shelby Vehicles

Nah, the "E" in GTE stands for expensive!
Look if you want to spend a bundle on a Shelby go ahead it will have great resale value in the future (yes its an investment). Assuming of course you don't run it into the ground and make it a garage queen.

But if you want a Faster Horse - buy a Mustang GT, Mod it, Take it to the track - have fun ! It will be a lot cheaper and fun modding your own car. Building a car up - esp. from scratch is an experience you can not repeat in life. I had the pleasure of having a mechanic uncle that taught me everything about cars.
and yes I miss picking out performance parts, taking heads to get milled for extra compression or picking one out from a junkyard with smaller combustion chamber volume, slapping in a high lobe cam, Holley double pump carb, and
turning that engine at 3:00 a.m. in the morning with open headers to wake up the dead. Oh yeah and some pissed off living neighbors. :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

Sponsored

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
Look if you want to spend a bundle on a Shelby go ahead it will have great resale value in the future (yes its an investment). Assuming of course you don't run it into the ground and make it a garage queen.

But if you want a Faster Horse - buy a Mustang GT, Mod it, Take it to the track - have fun ! It will be a lot cheaper and fun modding your own car. Building a car up - esp. from scratch is an experience you can not repeat in life. I had the pleasure of having a mechanic uncle that taught me everything about cars.
I yes I miss picking out performance parts, taking heads to get milled for extra compression or picking one out from a junkyard with smaller combustion chamber volume, slapping in a high lobe cam, Holley double pump carb, and
turning that engine at 3:00 a.m. in the morning with open headers to wake up the dead. Oh yeah and some pissed off living neighbors. :lol: :lol:
Yeah I couldn't agree more, did all that without much help and more back 30 years ago when I raced my bracket car. No computers, no internet, and a tune was like you describe. I fly cut my own piston valve reliefs for the high lift cam, ported my own heads, swapped the manual trans for an auto, installed a linelock, etc...bout the only thing I didn't attempt was my rear gear swap and some engine machine work.:D

OP
OP
GTRacerX.

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
The golden years of modding

Yeah I couldn't agree more, did all that without much help and more back 30 years ago when I raced my bracket car. No computers, no internet, and a tune was like you describe. I fly cut my own piston valve reliefs for the high lift cam, ported my own heads, swapped the manual trans for an auto, installed a linelock, etc...bout the only thing I didn't attempt was my rear gear swap and some engine machine work.:D
God I miss those days. :cheers:

OP
OP
GTRacerX.

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)