Concept: Eaton M90 supercharged V6

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
So I figured I would go ahead and post this to see what others think. I have been absent on the forum for awhile due to finishing school and focusing on finding a job. Thankfully all of that is behind me and I can now get back into crazy ideas and designs for the S550! :headbang: My original plan was to do a coyote swap but I believe I have something more interesting!

The idea of an Eaton supercharger I have had for a long time as a way to fix our engines low end power issue. I have always wondered though why a kit does not exist. From what I can tell, hood clearance is the number one issue that is referenced. Just doing some quick measurements, I believe an Eaton M90 with a small intercooler can fit between the lower intake manifold and a slightly higher hood or an OEM hood with a clearance hole and a scoop to cover it. I need about an extra 2-3in which if the internal bracing were removed above the engine you could get quite close to clearing.

Around this week or next I plan to purchase the trufiber A72 hood which should provide the needed clearance. After that I hope to purchase a GM style Gen V Eaton M90 and then create the required adapter plate and intercooler mounting to interface with the lower intake manifold. I plan to run about 7-8psi boost which the M90 should be capable of providing the 3.7L.

Belt routing is going to be a challenge though and the best I can figure right now is adding an additional pulley to the crank and have a separate 6-8 rib belt for the supercharger.

So what do you guys think? Feasible or am I completely crazy? Would anyone be interested in something like this over say a procharger?
Sponsored

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I want some forced induction and a new hood.
Haha well I have always wanted that hood so this project gives me a good reason to get it! :D

If you redesign the lower intake I believe you could get the M90 to fit under the stock hood. You would need to transition to side feed fuel injectors though in order to lower the fuel rails. Non intercooled with a set of BMR motor mounts and an M62 will fit as is with the lower intake intact.

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Eaton m90 is a twin screw style? Atleast the ones I've seen are. That kind of puts me off since I like having a strut bar.

How much do you think the setup would cost? I see on eBay gen v m90s going for under $300.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know if it was for a V6 or a Coyote, but I recall someone reseating the engine so it was about an inch lower overall so that could help you too.

Sponsored

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Eaton m90 is a twin screw style? Atleast the ones I've seen are. That kind of puts me off since I like having a strut bar.

How much do you think the setup would cost? I see on eBay gen v m90s going for under $300.
Correct. The Eaton M90 is a twin screw supercharger which brings all of the benefits of a twin screw over a centrifugal supercharger like the procharger. Twin screws are more efficient meaning less power to drive them for the same boost and more power to the wheels along with better low rpm boost.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I don't know if it was for a V6 or a Coyote, but I recall someone reseating the engine so it was about an inch lower overall so that could help you too.
The BMR motor mounts list about .5" max engine drop which would help out some.

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang Ecoboost
Correct. The Eaton M90 is a twin screw supercharger which brings all of the benefits of a twin screw over a centrifugal supercharger like the procharger. Twin screws are more efficient meaning less power to drive them for the same boost and more power to the wheels along with better low rpm boost.
thats not quite right.

the m90 is a roots blower, not a twin screw.

Roots blower, manufactured by eaton, affectionately known as a "heaton" is not the most efficient, its actually one of the least efficient. Thats why most dont run them anymore, and run a more efficient blower like a twin-screw, or a centri.

I still think the v6 would look cool with a roots on top! :ford:

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
thats not quite right.

the m90 is a roots blower, not a twin screw.

Roots blower, manufactured by eaton, affectionately known as a "heaton" is not the most efficient, its actually one of the least efficient. Thats why most dont run them anymore, and run a more efficient blower like a twin-screw, or a centri.

I still think the v6 would look cool with a roots on top! :ford:
Thank you for the correction! I usually get confused between roots and twin screw since I consider them the same when they are not....

By being more efficient I mean using less power to drive and creating more usable power vs a centri's more peak power.

I have been reading that the M90 does have some heat issues... Unfortunately it is the smallest roots style blower I can find that will work with the 3.7. If anyone has a suggestion for a small twin screw I would be more then interested in taking a look.

Sponsored
OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
^Whipple and Lysholm come to mind.
Well the Whipple W100AX would be a good fit but they want over $2k for it... I think I will stick with the Eaton at that point and deal with the heat through a decent intercooler.

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honestly, a shorter bodied supercharger would be too small for the displacement of your engine. A centri charger would be your best bet my friend.
Sponsored