Sponsored

Want to buy a GT350 but cant drive a manual!

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I vote just do it. Get someone to help you practice first.

voodoo2017

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Just do it. Never drove a standard in my life and drove the car right off the lot. Took about a good two months to get adjusted.

funkbrotherj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
DO IT!!!! I did. Lol. Come to think of it. I did this with my 1400CC motorcycle also.
I drove 10 hours to pick mine up. Got there the first night. The salesman gave me a quick lesson and we drove around the lot just letting 1st gear take me around. Did that for 15 minutes then used 2nd and 3rd. After 30 min I drove to the hotel.
Drove 10 hours back home the next day. I stalled twice before getting on the highway but that was because of how far the bite point was and listening to youtube. I even went through traffic on the way home. Hell of a way to learn.

The key you that will help you is knowing where the bite point is on the clutch. I watched all these youtube videos saying let the cluctch out slowly. I stalled so many times because of that advice. The bite point on the GT350 is so damn far up that it messes with your timing. You can let the clutch go fast until you get close to the bite point. It really just takes practice at knowing where it is. Seriously don't let not having driven a stick stop you from getting this wonderful machine. Just don't panic and take your time. If you stall, don't panic. It's not the end of the world. People might honk but they'll be ok.

Oh and one other thing. You have to learn to rev match so you don't break your neck when you down shift. Going from 6 to 5, 5 to 4, 4 to 3 just takes a tap on the gas. about 1k rpm difference. Going from 3 to 2 is a bit more. You'll have to practice that one. I never go from 2 to 1. Maybe others who have more experience with rev matching will chime in.

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Non issue in terms of a Go v No Go buying decision. The "Hill Holder" feature (I assume GT350's have this since the GT does) takes 90% of the difficulty of driving a manual away.....

Sponsored

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
dude buy it, go to a parking lot and get used to it. Took me less then a day to be a manual driver its the easiest thing.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
How long has it been now? Did you get it or not?

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
I just broke my foot and now I can't drive a manual either.

MELLOWYELLOW06

MELLOW 2.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT PP
You'll be fine. Once you have it, you have to get it home. You might get a couple of grinds and stalls, but it wont hurt anything.

You'll learn quick and in serious bada$$ style.

lm1z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 OW/Blue GT350
Ok guys the GT350 bug has officially bitten me. I have a couple deals lined up but the only problem is I don't know how to drive a manual. Am I crazy to buy one of these without knowing how to drive one? I'm thinking I'll be ok and can learn pretty quickly but I would love some feedback. I have some friends that will help teach me but they don't have manual cars at the moment. Thanks!
I had never driven a manual car prior to my GT350 I bought in June. However, I have 2 motorcycles and am familiar on how to operate a clutch, etc.

I went to the dealer, told him the situation, etc. Since I was a serious buyer, he let me take a crack at it in a parking lot around the corner. Haven't stalled the car once since I've gotten it.

In fact, I drove the car home that day. While I wouldn't recommend that to most people, I knew my ability and was confident I could operate the car safely. By day 2 of driving, I was already practicing rev matching and getting a solid feel for the car.

My suggestion is to watch a lot of YouTube videos, and hopefully have a friend with a stick give you a shot in a controlled environment.

I am in DFW and would be willing to help.
Sponsored