Sponsored

Negotiating Price on Special Order

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
I need to know if I am pushing my dealer too hard, if I want them to turn my $47,710 configuration into a $40,000 purchase price before add-ons and TT&L.

I ordered a GT Premium 5 weeks ago (6/26), but had issues with them processing the order (no thanks to sales team not verifying things), where it was later "rejected" on July 14th and then picked up again after that weekend for a very late ETA of October 15th (a Sunday).

I am favoring 0% APR, alongside getting them to reduce the price. Sales tax is 6.25% and also have X-Plan access, where it barely gets me down to $43,315 w/current incentives. I don't think that is enough, am I being unrealistic?

KBB does value in my area, an identical used 2017 GT Premium at $35,216 in "Excellent" condition. I am trying to keep it as close to that, even if I retain this car for years.

(And no, I didn't negotiate before ordering)
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I need to know if I am pushing my dealer too hard, if I want them to turn my $47,710 configuration into a $40,000 purchase price before add-ons and TT&L.

I ordered a GT Premium 5 weeks ago (6/26), but had issues with them processing the order (no thanks to sales team not verifying things), where it was later "rejected" on July 14th and then picked up again after that weekend for a very late ETA of October 15th (a Sunday).

I am favoring 0% APR, alongside getting them to reduce the price. Sales tax is 6.25% and also have X-Plan access, where it barely gets me down to $43,315 w/current incentives. I don't think that is enough, am I being unrealistic?

KBB does value in my area, an identical used 2017 GT Premium at $35,216 in "Excellent" condition. I am trying to keep it as close to that, even if I retain this car for years.

(And no, I didn't negotiate before ordering)
If it got moved to a 2018 order, I doubt you'll be able to negotiate. I was able to get a killer price on a 2017 fully loaded for $36900 before TTL as a custom order. MSRP was $44370. I had the Ford Private cash, my own financing, and took the cash rebate back in mid May.

You're pretty spot on for a price if they want a sale. They should be all over it because custom orders usually mean a guaranteed sale. That's how my dealership was at least and the sales guy was pretty straight forward about it.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
If you already have X plan they will most likely not go lower than that price.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
If you already have X plan they will most likely not go lower than that price.
X-Plan would honestly be shooting yourself in the foot on a 2017. A 2018 however, that's about the best you can do.

OP
OP
amk91

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
If it got moved to a 2018 order, I doubt you'll be able to negotiate. I was able to get a killer price on a 2017 fully loaded for $36900 before TTL as a custom order. MSRP was $44370. I had the Ford Private cash, my own financing, and took the cash rebate back in mid May.

You're pretty spot on for a price if they want a sale. They should be all over it because custom orders usually mean a guaranteed sale. That's how my dealership was at least and the sales guy was pretty straight forward about it.
Thanks ahl395, I figure X-Plan works better for vehicles that are new releases or with ADM.

X-Plan would honestly be shooting yourself in the foot on a 2017. A 2018 however, that's about the best you can do.
Ah, now this answers a lot for me. Thanks a lot for providing info on your experience with the ordering process and hammering out the best deal.

I'll eliminate use of X-Plan, unless they prove to be too difficult and don't budge enough. This is the order below, so it's thankfully a 2017 (old photo from (7/19).

They'll for sure lose my business if they try to switch it to a 2018 order. A 2018 order conversion would result in loss of certain features (due to $47k vs $53k MSRP) or increase in cost (to $53k), plus 4-6 more weeks of waiting on top of 16 weeks.
Screenshot (2).png

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Its going to depend on how many other 2017s are still on lots.
Your ordered stang price should be competitive w any 17s similarly equiped on lots with all pricing benefits. If you walk on the car, its value is same as any 17 leftovers on lots.

If you go get true car and call around dealers, you can establish the 17 stock prices is similar options. Thats your best case target for your ordered car. Dont wanna do that?
Look in 2017 price paid thread.

Getting true car pricing and calling your states largest deslers for pricing on stocked stangs is the only way to get the best and exact answer on best case target price that you want. Best case being you order and walk and they need to move the car and dont care if you or soneone else buys it.
Sponsored