Sponsored

Choice of Mods??

rvercitypony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford mustang Ecoboost
My next choice of mods is either a 3 inch catback exhaust or light weight aluminum drive shaft. Price is near identical for both. I ask for suggestions because I don't know if a 3 inch catback exhaust really helps at my current mod level. I already know the advantages of a light weight drive shaft from when I had on a highly modified Mustang GT. Thanks in advance for your responses.
Sponsored

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
I'd go with the cat back. Not sure if you are looking at an off the shelf solution but I had mine done at an exhaust shop for significantly cheaper than any kit I got pricing on. A lot of people seems to think the stock exhaust is restrictive and I don't see anything in your signature you've altered the CAT-Back from stock so that seems to be the way to go given that you've altered much of the rest of the air path.

I can't speak to the benefits of a lightweight drive shaft though. Is it really noticeable? Seems like this car would benefit most at the very bottom end from it. I'm thinking like 2k and under. That is just an educated guess though. On the other side it seems like opening up the exhaust is most beneficial to the higher end of the RPMs since it allows for more air flow. Again theses are generalized educated guesses.

OP
OP

rvercitypony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd go with the cat back. Not sure if you are looking at an off the shelf solution but I had mine done at an exhaust shop for significantly cheaper than any kit I got pricing on. A lot of people seems to think the stock exhaust is restrictive and I don't see anything in your signature you've altered the CAT-Back from stock so that seems to be the way to go given that you've altered much of the rest of the air path.

I can't speak to the benefits of a lightweight drive shaft though. Is it really noticeable? Seems like this car would benefit most at the very bottom end from it. I'm thinking like 2k and under. That is just an educated guess though. On the other side it seems like opening up the exhaust is most beneficial to the higher end of the RPMs since it allows for more air flow. Again theses are generalized educated guesses.
Yes, my catback is stock. Also, is your custom catback a 3 inch system? I ask because no aftermarket stock sized exhaust has shown any real power gains. And to answer your question, you will notice the lightweight driveshaft spins more quickly through the entire rpm range while under acceleration.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed, catback will only get you more noise. If that's what you are after, you are better off with a probably much cheaper 2.5" system.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed, catback will only get you more noise. If that's what you are after, you are better off with a probably much cheaper 2.5" system.
Sorry to clarify I didn't do my CAT-back for performance, just for sound. I was just saying that getting a shop to do it might be significantly cheaper than doing an "off the shelf" solution yourself. (I had mind done for 300+tax).

I was also just saying I have read a lot of post, with people saying the stock cat back is restrictive. I can't attest to this myself but my intuition tells me that the CAT would be most restrictive. Since you've already remedied the CAT restriction (I believe), I was saying that CAT-back would be the next logical restriction in the exhaust system. Plus it'll give you presumably a better (doesn't have to be louder) sound :cheers:

Out of curiosity is the difference a lightweight driveshaft makes thatttttt noticeable? I understand less inertia makes it faster to spin throughout the range. I was thinking that the difference in inertia would be most noticeable where torque is the lowest.

Just an FYI I was just chiming in with some educated opinions. I unfortunately just have a piece of fancy paper, a good intuition, and a love of cars (like all of us on here :thumbsup:), and not any real experience creating race cars. Starting to work on that last part now that I have a car I am not embarrassed by. :D

Sponsored

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh also yes my Catback uses stock piping just cut out the resonator and replaced with a magnaflow 1in/2out straight through (PN 12158), and deleted the mufflers. I got exactly what I wanted: Not too loud and a much better tone.

OP
OP

rvercitypony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quote:
Out of curiosity is the difference a lightweight driveshaft makes thatttttt noticeable? I understand less inertia makes it faster to spin throughout the range. I was thinking that the difference in inertia would be most noticeable where torque is the lowest.

It's on average a tenth in the quarter mile and around 5 HP on the dyno. combined with a lightweight flywheel, it's seriously great during acceleration. But if I could get some solid info. on HP gains for a 3 inch catback system, I would make that a priority purchase. I'm at the point with mods to where unless I upgrade the turbo, every other option is a small power gain.

OP
OP

rvercitypony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh also yes my Catback uses stock piping just cut out the resonator and replaced with a magnaflow 1in/2out straight through (PN 12158), and deleted the mufflers. I got exactly what I wanted: Not too loud and a much better tone.
Is there any drone with your set up?

CrazedAntelope

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
I doubt the lightweight driveshaft actually does much in terms of acceleration since the diameter of the driveshaft is rather small (I=m(r^2)).

Seems like if you went catback you'd save 28ish lbs and if you went drive shaft you'd save 18ish lbs...

I'd probably go catback just because I'd be saving more weight overall.

sharp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I just went full cat back and the smiles to dollars ratio is high! Sounds great and the car feels more responsive, though it might just be in my head. .. Plus the big tips really improve the look out back.

Otherwise, I'd consider the rear suspension lock out items to glue the car to the road if you are wanting a verified performance increase. Gotta get that power to the ground.

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
you could also just replace the tips on the stock exhaust, obviously just for looks.
Chopped the stock tip off and had 4" Magnaflow tips welded on.

OP
OP

rvercitypony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I doubt the lightweight driveshaft actually does much in terms of acceleration since the diameter of the driveshaft is rather small (I=m(r^2)).

Seems like if you went catback you'd save 28ish lbs and if you went drive shaft you'd save 18ish lbs...

I'd probably go catback just because I'd be saving more weight overall.
thanks for the input. I just wanted to add that the lightweight driveshaft is 22 lbs. lighter than stock. Also, your comparison is between rotational weight vs. sprung weight. Rotational weight savings is always superior. The negative is the driveshaft isn't cheap$.

OP
OP

rvercitypony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How about a cheaper DIY type cat-back as mentioned and maybe a Boomba lightweight pulley kit. Should be able to both of these for the same $ as a sourced cat-back or driveshaft.
I like your thinking. More feedback on the Boomba kit will be appreciated. The nice thing is that it's rotational weight.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is there any drone with your set up?
Sorry for such a late reply I suddenly was crazy busy at work (where I do some of my best forum posting). There is only drone at 4k RPM. It doesn't bother me though because I am only that high in the range when I am trying to hear the roar anyway. I took some parking lot rev footage and have it on my computer. I just have to find the few minutes to upload it and post it over in the EB custom exhaust thread. This will at work is supposed to be slow so hopefully you'll see lots of posts across the boards from me.
Sponsored