Sponsored

Turbo Blankets & Exhaust/Hot side wraps

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
I think a good middle ground would be making a heat shield for the back of the turbine housing to simply direct the radiant heat away from the block. For the #3 conspiracy theorist ya know. Probably the route I'm going to take
Yes protect cylinder 3 mate's
Sponsored

OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
The aim initially was to cover the block side of the engine, the heat shield covers the other part, wrapping up the cat downpipe and charge pipes will just keep the heat there, rather than in the engine bay. I've got hood vents to try and pull more heat out.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I think a good middle ground would be making a heat shield for the back of the turbine housing to simply direct the radiant heat away from the block. For the #3 conspiracy theorist ya know. Probably the route I'm going to take
I believe this theory has been thoroughly debunked. The cylinders are completely surrounded by coolant, which is constantly circulated through the cooling system by the water pump.

fms-m-6010-23t_xl.jpg

For this theory to make sense, radiant or conducted heat from the turbo would have to heat components on the other side of a moving wall of coolant, which means the coolant is the heat transfer medium. I simply don't see how this is possible. How can coolant get hot enough to heat steel to a high enough temperature to weaken it? The coolant would flash to steam LONG before transfering that kind of heat.

This theory simply doesn't--ahem--hold water.

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
Theory or not, 2/3 still has less surface area for coolant to contact. That's my happy medium :cheers:

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Theory or not, 2/3 still has less surface area for coolant to contact.
Can you elaborate? From the photo it appears to me all four cylinders are fully enveloped by coolant except, of course, for the intake/exhaust runners.

Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Appears to be about 315° 1/4 vs 270° 2/3 open area for coolant. :shrug:
Ahh. I see what you're saying; cylinders 2 and 3 are joined to adjacent cylinders while 1 and 4 are open on the outside. There is still, however, a wall of coolant between the turbo and cylinders 2 and 3, so increased heat (if any) on those cylinders results from contact with adjacent cylinders, not from the turbo. How does shielding the block from turbo heat help with that?

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
Maybe the radiant heat from the turbine housing is heating the aluminum block just enough to expand in that area and throw tolerances out a just enough, who knows?

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
Maybe the radiant heat from the turbine housing is heating the aluminum block just enough to expand in that area and throw tolerances out a just enough, who knows?
There is enough heat to do that ..:thumbsup:
I should know im studying it..

Sponsored