Sponsored

Autocross and now service advance trac?

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I think this kind of stuff is something to get used to with modern cars and all the electronics they add to them. At least for me I haven't noticed any inference with my runs other than the ding dong chime going off when it happens to me.

Other cars have way worse electronic/software issues to deal with.
I'd fine with the stupid chime, for me it went to full nannies on and wouldn't let me change settings until I restarted the car. Kind of annoying...

Hasn't happened since, knock on wood.
Sponsored

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
I just had this happen all day. It would not stop going off and caused me to have a meh day overall. Ended up doing some fun runs after the event, drove other people's car, and then mine again and it didn't act up at all and I raw timed everyone in my class. Super frustrating that when this does act up it seems to have no rime or reason.

During fun runs my co-driver went out and had it come all on three of his runs. He had his fastest run today when the system worked fine for him during two of his regular runs.

I have aftermarket wheels but OE sensors in them. I have a corsa extreme exhaust with FS SCCA allowable items such as konis

Last edited:

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
Another update so finally got around to pulling codes from the computer and the IPC and PSCM all had U0415 history codes in them. This is invalid data received from the ABS control module.

I wonder if anyone else this has happened to has gotten the same codes.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I drove a local guys GT base non PP car and got it to come on during my 1 run in his car. He said it comes on randomly for him too.

Then driving my car it happened. It was more severe than the "normal" because I had to turn the car off and back on before it would let me out of the chime. Dumb.

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I have had this happen on first run at two events in a row now. Rest of runs are fine. I have always had to turn the car off to reset the system. Pretty f'ing annoying.

I don't know if it's cold tires causing the car to freak out or what, but sheesh.

Sponsored

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
If either you have access to a full blown scan tool I would be curious to see if you have the same communication code stored in history in your ICM and PSCM

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Another update so finally got around to pulling codes from the computer and the IPC and PSCM all had U0415 history codes in them. This is invalid data received from the ABS control module.

I wonder if anyone else this has happened to has gotten the same codes.
FYI and some questions after the quotes.

From the early 2015 FSM CD

U0415:00 Invalid Data Received From Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module: No Sub Type Information This DTC sets when the IPC receives invalid accelerometer network data from the ABS module. RETRIEVE and REPAIR all non-network Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) in the ABS module and other modules on the network.
REFER to: Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) and Stability Control (206-09 Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) and Stability Control, Diagnosis and Testing).
If no Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) are present in the ABS module, DIAGNOSE the observable symptom.
U0415:81 Invalid Data Received From Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module: Invalid Serial Data Received This DTC sets when the IPC receives invalid accelerometer network data from the ABS module. RETRIEVE and REPAIR all non-network Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) in the ABS module and other modules on the network.
REFER to: Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) and Stability Control (206-09 Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) and Stability Control, Diagnosis and Testing).
If no Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) are present in the ABS module, DIAGNOSE the observable symptom.
From every version of the 2015 - 2018 owner manual I've looked at:

Vehicle modifications involving braking system, aftermarket roof racks, suspension, steering system, tire construction and wheel and tire size may change the handling characteristics of your vehicle and may adversely affect the performance of the electronic stability control system. In addition, installing any stereo loudspeakers may interfere with and adversely affect the electronic stability control system. Install any aftermarket stereo loudspeaker as far as possible from the front center console, the tunnel, and the front seats in order to minimize the risk of interfering with the electronic stability control sensors. Reducing the effectiveness of the electronic stability control system could lead to an increased risk of loss of vehicle control, vehicle rollover, personal injury and death.
Electronic Stability Control (ESC)

The ABS module continuously monitors the vehicle motion relative to the intended course. This is done by using sensors to compare the steering wheel sensor messages and the yaw rate sensor messages with the actual vehicle motion. The ABS module receives the steering wheel sensor messages from the PSCM and the yaw rate sensor messages from the RCM , both messages are sent over the HS-CAN2 . If the ABS module determines from the inputs the vehicle is unable to travel in the intended direction, it modulates the brake pressure to the appropriate brake caliper(s) by opening and closing the appropriate solenoid valves inside the HCU while the hydraulic pump motor is activated. At the same time the ABS module calculates how much engine torque reduction is required to reduce vehicle speed to help stabilize the vehicle and sends this torque reduction message, along with an ESC event message, to the GWM over the HS-CAN2 . The GWM sends the torque reduction message to the PCM over the HS-CAN1 and the ESC event message to the IPC over the HS-CAN3 . When the PCM receives the torque reduction message, it adjusts engine timing and decreases fuel injector pulses to reduce the engine torque to the requested level. When the IPC receives this message, it flashes the stability-traction control indicator (sliding car icon). Once the vehicle instability has been corrected, the ABS module returns the solenoid valves in the HCU to their normal position, deactivates the hydraulic pump motor and stops sending the traction event and torque reduction messages. The PCM returns engine timing and fuel injectors to normal operation and the IPC extinguishes the stability-traction control indicator (sliding car icon).

ESC does not operate with the transmission in REVERSE. ESC is disabled if there is a wheel speed sensor, RCM stability sensor or steering angle sensor DTC present in the ABS module. ESC is also disabled if there is a communication error between the ABS module and the PSCM or the ABS module and the RCM . When ESC is disabled, the ABS module sends a message to the GWM over the HS-CAN2 which relays the message to the IPC over the HS-CAN3 to illuminate the stability-traction control OFF indicator (sliding car OFF icon).

Disabling AdvanceTrac

The traction control feature can be disabled through the use of the stability-traction control switch, on some models the ESC feature can also be disabled. The ESC feature is disabled when REVERSE gear is selected or when the stability-traction control switch is pressed in the following manner:

Button pressed momentarily : traction control is disabled, ESC is enabled.
Button pressed twice rapidly : Sport mode is enabled (if equipped), traction control and ESC are enabled with modified intervention thresholds. Sport Mode is not available on vehicles equipped with Selectable Driving Modes.
Button pressed and held for more than 5 seconds : AdvanceTrac off mode, traction control and ESC are both disabled.
Button pressed again after deactivation : traction control and ESC are both enabled.
Regardless of the driver selected state of the AdvanceTrac feature, when the ignition is cycled from ON to OFF and back to ON, both the traction control and the ESC are reset to enabled.
I'm wondering if there are some common factors for the cars experiencing the problem.

It appears that one of the major sources of "data" and also some degree of signal processing is the Restraints Control Module (RCM) located under the center console.

The RCM has the yaw rate sensors which based on the "loud speaker location warning" in the owner manual are sensitive to vibration at audible frequencies. The stock exhaust resonator "box" is near the console under the car. Have any of you guys with the problem removed the resonator or done other exhaust system modification under the center of the car? (Mine is stock and I don't have the problem).

The only other thing I can think of that isn't simply out of spec parts in the car is electrical interference that somehow gets "past" all the shielding, etc. that Ford uses. Obviously smartphones and tablets "should" not be an issue.
My smartphone is in the center console running solostorm with bluetooth and typically wifi enabled. GPS and OBD data come from a DL1 using a bluetooth transmitter. I've used two different Motorola Droid phones. I've also used a tablet in the pocket behind the driver's seat.

I'm also careful to make sure the handbrake is fully off.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I've had it happen with both stock exhaust with an x pipe, and the full stock exhaust (went back to stock exhaust early spring).

I do have a FTBR shift bracket that creates some NVH in that area though. The car I drove has headers and an unbelievably (terribly) loud exhaust but no shifter mods.

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Hmmm. I have a Magnaflow catback that removes the resonator...

Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Good info above but IMO it has nothing to do with the exhaust. If it did we would have had a problem on the track and/or street. Also, leaving the car running seems to help the problem.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good info above but IMO it has nothing to do with the exhaust. If it did we would have had a problem on the track and/or street. Also, leaving the car running seems to help the problem.
I tend to agree that the problem would require a combination of autocross or very hard track driving and whatever is screwing up the data whether sensors, vibration, or electrical noise. Since I don't get the problem even in autocross I'm not going to test for it on the street. :) Last time I drove at autocross levels on the street was on 2nd gear back roads and freeway ramp "skid pads" in my Datsun 260Z over 30 years ago. :D

If my next Mustang (2018) has this problem my road racer dealer's service department will get the opportunity to solve the problem. :)

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
I had the issue happen also when going into a car wash where they have tracks that move the car and when the car was stock doing autocross. I'm going to datalog all my runs this weekend and if it acts up maybe I will be able to see what is happening.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the issue happen also when going into a car wash where they have tracks that move the car and when the car was stock doing autocross. I'm going to datalog all my runs this weekend and if it acts up maybe I will be able to see what is happening.
Interesting. I hope somebody finds out what the root causes of the problem are and then posts the details.

Earlier this year I when I had a 3 day subscription to all the Ford service manuals and TSB's I think I tried to find any related to this problem but with no luck.

I find it hard to imagine that "nobody" who has had this warning has taken it to a Ford dealer for diagnosis and repair under warranty. If no TSB's that implies that it is an easy fix. Yes I'm an optimist. :)

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Yeah this is a tough one because a restart of the car fixes the issue and on my car it will clear itself while running if I let it sit for a minute.

The dealer will just say to do either of the above claim there is no problem. I believe Ford will support the above action as well because I don't believe they see the autocross enthusiast is worth the cost and trouble. Great analog track cars will probably increase/hold their value well if these systems continue to be so glitchy.
Sponsored