Matte Wheel Care

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
I bought a small bottle of CG Meticulous Matte shampoo when I got my wheels and I've almost finished it. Before I buy another dedicated matte wash, does it actually make a difference vs a general product like Adams Car Shampoo?
Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
I'm not sure if there are any extra lubricants or waxes in Adam's car shampoo as I use it (I don't think so because they have a specific wax-n-wash), but I don't have any matte wrapping on my car. Dedicated matte washes are (I'll say should as some companies over-advertise their stuff) made specifically for matte materials as they should come out looking matte, and not shiny. Some shampoos have built in waxes or what-not that you want to avoid.

For just tires, I really don't think it matters. In fact, if I had to guess, I'm not sure a matte wash is that good for the tires over something with a little wax protection in it that...might help protect the tires from the sun and cracking/fading? I'm not sure, I clean my tires and rub them down with VRT.

I doubt you'll notice much difference on just tires though, but you might on your trim depending what you're going for.

OP
OP

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
I've been using Meguiars Gold Class for my 2 bucket wash on the body, was using the CG specifically for the wheels. If it doesn't make a difference I figure I might as well get a gallon of Adams and just use it for everything (foam gun, hand wash, and wheels)

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
it shouldnt make a diff what you wash it with .. matte, least on cars.. its agent that is put in the clear coat to dull the shine. i shoot rm diamont. and i use flop control in clears to make them satin, matte ... i dont know if powder coating is the same. washing wouldnt make a diff now buffing deff would change the shine ..

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Washing won't make a difference, any quality product will work fine. I use Meg's Gold Class and have for years, because it is a decent soap but also because I refuse to put thought into something that is so unimportant in the overall process.

Make sure no water is left standing on them to avoid spots, get them good and clean, and when it comes time to treat them with a sealant/coating just pick a matte-specific one so it doesn't finish to a high gloss and look terrible. Keep tire shine products off of the wheel, and use water-based products. Simple.

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Mostly I've seen people saying soap and water, including the wheel reps. I'm curious about what can be used to help repel dirt and brake dust. I've only had mine on a short while and damn it seems like everything sticks to them, including sand.

I had mine coated with CG Carbon Flex C9 when I bought them, but it's definitely not repelling anything. I've seen a lot of matte products out there, but some are pretty expensive. I'm thinking to go with a liberal coating of 303 Aerospace. It's not too shiny and it buffs dry. I know it helps to make the interior surfaces slicker and repels dust so thinking it might be good to go. Hell, I'm already spraying down the tires with it.
Sponsored