Sponsored

Manual Gearbox noise?

Raven 900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Manual GT
I've had my manual GT for only about 6 weeks and it has about 1200km on it.

It has some noise in 2nd and 4th gears. The noise sounds like a faint, grainy, bearing rattle. I can reproduce the noise iat standstill, in neutral, when I take my foot off the clutch. Putting the clutch back in makes it quiet again. The noise isn't as bad as when driving, in 2nd or 4th.

I heard someone describe it as a bearing noise...?

It's not loud and I'm hoping it will get better as the car gets older, but it doesn't seem to be improving yet. It's about my only disappointment on the whole car. I haven't spoken to Ford yet but I'm not optimistic. I'll certainly be raising it at the 3000km service but I want to be armed with info if I can.

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored

Red Stang 302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graeme
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Fastback GT 5.0 - Manual - Race Red
I've had my manual GT for only about 6 weeks and it has about 1200km on it.

It has some noise in 2nd and 4th gears. The noise sounds like a faint, grainy, bearing rattle. I can reproduce the noise iat standstill, in neutral, when I take my foot off the clutch. Putting the clutch back in makes it quiet again. The noise isn't as bad as when driving, in 2nd or 4th.

I heard someone describe it as a bearing noise...?

It's not loud and I'm hoping it will get better as the car gets older, but it doesn't seem to be improving yet. It's about my only disappointment on the whole car. I haven't spoken to Ford yet but I'm not optimistic. I'll certainly be raising it at the 3000km service but I want to be armed with info if I can.
Thanks for any advice.
The noise at standstill, when you release the clutch in neutral then push it back in, sounds like the Clutch Thrust Race, (Bearing).

There are other posts on here, re noisy 2nd and 4th gears.

At least one Aussie owner has had the Gearbox changed.

OP
OP

Raven 900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Manual GT
Thanks. I've done a search but couldn't find anything specific to 2nd/4th...can anyone point me to the thread?
I did find the story of a guy getting the whole gearbox changed, which is interesting...although his sounded much worse than mine...

Red Stang 302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graeme
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Fastback GT 5.0 - Manual - Race Red
OP
OP

Raven 900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Manual GT
Thanks. It sounds like the clutch noise is the thrust bearing. At least now I know what to call it when it talk to the dealer.
Sounds like Gear noise is a common problem.... I'll,see what they say about it but I'll certainly be looking for ways to improve it because it's the only flaw in an otherwise awesome car.

Sponsored

didibabawu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
My MT82 has some noise in 2nd as well. I am planning to replace the transmission oil with Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30 next week. Anyone else used this oil already?

FIXR7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
'93 Range Rover Rogue 351 powered, '17 Ruby GT, '99 XH V8-S ute, '69 Mercury Cougar XR7 S-code, '96 XH Ex-pork van
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I've done a search but couldn't find anything specific to 2nd/4th...can anyone point me to the thread?
I did find the story of a guy getting the whole gearbox changed, which is interesting...although his sounded much worse than mine...
That was probably me. Mine was noisy in the first moment I moved off when i picked it up. It was noisy in all gears though, not like yours and got worse with temp and miles. My dealer expected it to get fobbed off by Ford and after two visits to the dealer I thought it was. The dealer was going to have it rebuilt at their expense but before I could say; I want a NEW one in my NEW car, they called and said the dude from Ford was flying over to go for a test drive with me. After that....NEW one.

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Defo sounds like Thrust bearing, seems very common, some have it worse than others.
Sponsored