OP

vnzbd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6
I never found the split but did not search that hard. In the base 6 speaker system the tweeter crossover is just a small capacitor attached to the tweeter, see post #8. I ran a new wire of a similar gauge to my trunk and it took less than a 1/2 hour total for both sides. I did use the factory wiring for the door speaker as replacing that looked like a major endeavor!
Sponsored

Keith_PDX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/PP
I never found the split but did not search that hard. In the base 6 speaker system the tweeter crossover is just a small capacitor attached to the tweeter, see post #8. I ran a new wire of a similar gauge to my trunk and it took less than a 1/2 hour total for both sides. I did use the factory wiring for the door speaker as replacing that looked like a major endeavor!
That is exactly what I decided to do. I followed the OEM tweeter wire into the dash and can see where it splits off from the door speaker. If you look up under the dash at the door wiring loom and its plug on the side of the kickwell where it goes into the door, the split is a few inches from that. Getting access to that is definitely not a small endeavor. Not worth the effort.

I took the OEM front speaker output and ran it to the high level input for the front channel. Then I ran the amplifier output for that channel to the crossover for the component set. I then re-used the OEM wiring for the door midbass by running the crossover output for that speaker back into the OEM wiring. I left the OEM tweeter wiring tucked away and ran a new wire from the crossover tweeter output up to the tweeter, which is installed in the OEM location. My 5 channel amp and Polk crossovers are under the passenger Recaro seat. I will post up some pics later.

EcoBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium, PP, 50th, RR
Vehicle Showcase
Any 1" tweeter will fit in the stock a pillar. You can either surface mount it with a bit of dremel work, or use the stock mount and get it in behind the stock grill.
I'm on my 3rd set of 7/8" to 1" tweeters (testing) and so far only actually fit from behind (Dayton AMT), 1 COULD mount in the hole with the grille removed and some Dremel work done (Polk DB1001) and 1 won't fit at all (Pioneer TS-T110).

Next up, JBL GTO19T and the Rockford Fosgate Prime R1T-S

Last edited:

POOPonYOU

I Do Stupid Well
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
Just had the Hertz Mille tweeters installed in the a pillar without any issues. They even have the stock plastic molding on top. new tweeters are 1.14" in diameter.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I just replaced my tweeters last night with a pair of Boston Pro's. Used the factory wiring, at least for now. One of the easiest changes I have had the pleasure of doing so far. Even able to wire them up without needing to cut off or modify the factory wiring or plug, just a simple jumper between the plug and tweeter. Sound quality is far better. Superior imaging and alive highs. At a point hopefully in the near future I plan to install a line out converter with external amp once I replace the 6" door speaker. At that point is when all speakers will get new input wiring so that any factory Xovers will be taken out of the picture. Have not decided what to do with the stock midrange driver. Do want to replace it but generally don't like to mix driver brands.
Sponsored