Sponsored

ADM on a GT350 is Not Illegal

DarthLepard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
MSRP stands for; Manufactures SUGGESTED Retail Price, the key would is "suggested" guys it only a suggestion , and that's it. The is not going to be a law, and never will be. I hate them, especially if I had not found a dealer willing to work. The only way to get back at them is this; if you know of a dealer that charges ADM, simple when you are ready to buy a new Ford go in let them know your looking and then buy somewhere else and then go back and show them you were a real buyer and that because they charged an ADM you bought else where. But even this will probable not work, because sadly most dealers do not care about the few, or one (like our late and great Spock) lastly, we are forgetful and a forgivable people.
I am sure I am going to get crushed for this but I am a sales manager at a car dealership, not Ford but it's still the same universe.

While you are right, it is a SUGGESTED price recommended by the manufacturer, most manufacturers severely deter you from charging over that, as we call over sticker.

But it is a law of economics, lets say I am dealer A and I am getting only 2 GT350's allocated to me the first month and the next 4 months thereafter. If the market allows a dealer to charge over sticker they typically do so. While it may leave a sour taste in some peoples mouth (rightfully so) it still makes the most business sense to do so. You have to make gross when and where you can while maintaining a happy customer base. Otherwise the next time you come in to buy a family sedan for invoice we wouldn't be able to survive, even with holdbacks and other dealer incentives. It is all about the $$$ PRU (Per Retail Unit), you need the bigs with the smalls.

And I know there are people reading this saying well you are chasing away your own customers by doing so, don't be greedy, etc. But I have been doing this a long time, and a specialty vehicle that can bring over MSRP has a customer base that understands and typically doesn't hold any resentment, they know it is the market and have enough expendable cash to bend to market demands. And those who do get offended and refuse to buy isn't a "loyal" buyer to begin with. Because when that customer comes in to buy the family sedan and we offer $500 over invoice, he will be the first to show an offer from a dealer 45 minutes away offering invoice and asking if we can beat it. He won't care or remember whether we charged MSRP or above for a specialty vehicle. Not trying to be a jerk but that is how it works, I have years of market data to prove it :)

That being said, I personally don't think any consumer should pay over MSRP for a car, wait the market out and things will settle. But once again, the customers who tend to be in the category will pay extra to be the first at the car show with it, posting pictures on Facebook, etc and are perfectly fine with what they had to do so they could.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
This horse is not only dead, it is now tenderized from all the beating. Lets just grind up the meat, make some dog food and move on to better discussions....

Pablo GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayman S
I am sure I am going to get crushed for this but I am a sales manager at a car dealership, not Ford but it's still the same universe.

While you are right, it is a SUGGESTED price recommended by the manufacturer, most manufacturers severely deter you from charging over that, as we call over sticker.

But it is a law of economics, lets say I am dealer A and I am getting only 2 GT350's allocated to me the first month and the next 4 months thereafter. If the market allows a dealer to charge over sticker they typically do so. While it may leave a sour taste in some peoples mouth (rightfully so) it still makes the most business sense to do so. You have to make gross when and where you can while maintaining a happy customer base. Otherwise the next time you come in to buy a family sedan for invoice we wouldn't be able to survive, even with holdbacks and other dealer incentives. It is all about the $$$ PRU (Per Retail Unit), you need the bigs with the smalls.

And I know there are people reading this saying well you are chasing away your own customers by doing so, don't be greedy, etc. But I have been doing this a long time, and a specialty vehicle that can bring over MSRP has a customer base that understands and typically doesn't hold any resentment, they know it is the market and have enough expendable cash to bend to market demands. And those who do get offended and refuse to buy isn't a "loyal" buyer to begin with. Because when that customer comes in to buy the family sedan and we offer $500 over invoice, he will be the first to show an offer from a dealer 45 minutes away offering invoice and asking if we can beat it. He won't care or remember whether we charged MSRP or above for a specialty vehicle. Not trying to be a jerk but that is how it works, I have years of market data to prove it :)

That being said, I personally don't think any consumer should pay over MSRP for a car, wait the market out and things will settle. But once again, the customers who tend to be in the category will pay extra to be the first at the car show with it, posting pictures on Facebook, etc and are perfectly fine with what they had to do so they could.
Thankyou for your courage!

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 350 Lead-foot grey

That is exactly what I said elsewhere. Some people can afford the next "nice" thing and some can't. And then some people are just cheap.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Well said. I agree.

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 GT Premium, 2012 BMW M3, Etc Etc
Actually you did say it was illegal...below is your quote from the closed thread.

"That's your opinion...The example is a reflection of how ADM's operate. Therefore entirely relevant....and According to the FCC... Illegal."
The FCC reference was speaking to AT&T's and Verizon's overbilling practices which are illegal... And set a precedence for a push to make ADM's an illegal practice this would be something that the FTC would need to take on.

OH5GT 2 S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang Convertible, 2017 BMW X5, 2017 F150
The FCC reference was speaking to AT&T's and Verizon's overbilling practices which are illegal... And set a precedence for a push to make ADM's an illegal practice this would be something that the FTC would need to take on.
Listen bud, we are both saying the same thing, we don't like and won't pay an ADM. Only difference is, I see why dealerships charge them and understand it, you don't. It's all good, doesn't mean either of us are bad people, nor dealerships that charge them.

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
My frustration is with people who see past the information presented and try to make up an argument by misquoting others. Or by taking one single word out of the context of an entire paragraph.

Sponsored

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
FCA’s U.S. head of communications, Gualberto Ranieri, wrote a blog post on Friday that warns customers of the practice is unscrupulous and could be illegal, but did not name any of the dealerships that have it concerned.
I agree with your thinking Randy and apparently ....So Does Fiat/Chrysler.

OP
OP

Jackie Chiles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW TDI SW
I agree with your thinking Randy and apparently ....So Does Fiat/Chrysler.
FCA also neglected to name any statutes that make ADMs illegal, preferring to be ambiguous:

"We believe such a practice may constitute a breach of the Dealer’s Sales and Service Agreement with FCA US LLC and a violation of other applicable laws."

I also agree with Randy's post.

I wish ADMs were prohibited by law, but they are not, at least as far as I can determine.

Waldorf

Old School
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3Y PP
I've never paid MSRP for a new car. I WILL for this one if I can order it the way I want it without an ADM. So far, no luck. Hearing $7500.00. With the rumor today that 5000 a year for 5 model years... maybe I'll wait for the "second tier". Around here, in 2013, dealers were actually "dealing" on Boss Mustangs. ADM disappeared. Supply vs. demand.

I believe that if you want to describe our society with an adjective... we live in a "capitalistic" society. I contacted one dealer who said he's only getting one, and that it cannot be a customer order. He'll probably try to auction it to the highest bidder. Hope he gets 100 grand for it. But it won't be any of my money. I certainly can't blame them for trying. In the meantime... I'll just sit on the bench and watch the game. P.T. Barnum supposedly said, "There's a sucker born every minute." I'll exclude myself from that quote.

Capitalism is based on incentive. When incentive turns to greed... the system corrects itself... nobody buys. Or at least the the folks who P.T. Barnum WASN'T referring to.

That is all...

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Remember, ADM is not a price, but a service. That is how it becomes legal..

That is, if the dealer include the details of their service. If not... You can walk out paying no ADM.

Otherwise, GM, Ford would have to reimburse you for the ADM.( Bait and switch per advertising)

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
Where do you guys get this stuff? I"m assuming the same web site that tells you income taxes are unconstitutional. AND I hate it but it is legal-dealer can set any price they want.

Have I ever paid it- Nope. But will I for a GT350R.... At 57 I have no interest in waiting for a deal-I just want the damn
car. NOW. WHITE, full deletes, blue/red stripes. Pics on the net driving me nuts.
Sponsored

Last edited: