Sponsored

Hardly any S550's in the DC/Northern VA area

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
Went on a mini-vacation last weekend. Had an absolute blast! However, one thing I noticed...I counted exactly 3 S550's on the road...3!!! Tons of Porsche's!! Must have been dozens of them!! Plenty of Audi's. Even a bunch of Camaro's....but newer Mustangs, nope.

Why is that?

I figured with all the cars down there having the Koons badge that area would be flooded with them. Then I figured it might be a pain to have a Stang in DC traffic...but then why the other sports/muscle cars?

Anyone else notice this in that area?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Sponsored

magnetic16gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT
I recently took a road trip from MI to Northern VA to visit my sister. I used the trip to break in my '16. I had also pointed out that I hadn't seen any S550's for the duration of the trip outside of Michigan. I had my doubts driving 1000 miles in my brand new car, but having a little kid come up at a rest area and ask me how much horsepower my car had, it kind of made it worth it.

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
There's a TON lol. You just didn't see them. Here's a shot of the Capitol S550 Club a few months ago, keep in mind that's only like 10% of the members:

26428623601_d1b067fabb_h.jpg

batz1917

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT Premium (401a) w/ PP
I live across the river from DC and I very rarely see more than a handful of S550s. At the same time, where I live, not as many people drive. I think the majority of the S550 owners live further West and drive in to DC area.

I do drive everyday in my S550. It can be a pain to drive in the traffic but not because of the stop and go traffic, its because I rarely get an opportunity to get up to speed during rush hours, which breaks my heart haha

Sponsored

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
I don't see too many during my commutes into Baltimore. One guy in an EB. Saw quite a few in Ocean City during the OC cruisin event a few months ago.

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
I drove 2,100 round trip from STL to Gulf Shores and back last week. I counted 2 550's in that entire rode trip.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those that do live in the DC/North VA area...what's it like driving your S550 there? Reason I ask is because people seem to beat to a completely individual drum down there! "What are turn signals and why do I have to obey traffic laws?" seems to be the general attitude, especially in high congestion areas.

I'd be constantly worried someone was going to side-swipe or crash into me.

Thanks

-Emt1581

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
There are only a handful I've seen so far around here but plenty of 197's. In Florida last week I saw tons of 550's, but I think it's because of the rental business. Only saw a couple GT.

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I live in Frederick, MD, so kinda on the edge of the "Metro area". I have a 30 mile each way commute to Rockville. I have a DD, but I drive the Mustang a day or 2 a week. The traffic sucks, but there's still a little fun to be had.

I see some S550s around. Lots of money in the area, so higher end cars are actually more plentiful around here.

Sponsored

batz1917

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT Premium (401a) w/ PP
For those that do live in the DC/North VA area...what's it like driving your S550 there? Reason I ask is because people seem to beat to a completely individual drum down there! "What are turn signals and why do I have to obey traffic laws?" seems to be the general attitude, especially in high congestion areas.

I'd be constantly worried someone was going to side-swipe or crash into me.

Thanks

-Emt1581
That is very true. My biggest pet peeve as a driver is people not using their turn signals, especially in traffic. If your gonna cut me off at least give me a heads up. I used to be terrified if something happened to my car. I bought a good 2 ch dash cam that hides behind the rear view mirror in case anything does happen. I know my routes around here pretty well and i stick to my lane. A lot of people like to weave in and out of 5 mph traffic, which doesn't really get you anywhere any faster. I know which lane i need to be in for when my exits come up and haven't had an issue in a few years.

**knock on wood**

The creep mode on the manual is really helpful, too.

Traffic here is like anywhere else. Nothing is going to get you there faster, I just crank up the tunes!

Bob99b5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2007 Mustang GT convertible
I live across the river from DC and I very rarely see more than a handful of S550s. At the same time, where I live, not as many people drive. I think the majority of the S550 owners live further West and drive in to DC area.

I do drive everyday in my S550. It can be a pain to drive in the traffic but not because of the stop and go traffic, its because I rarely get an opportunity to get up to speed during rush hours, which breaks my heart haha
I travel to DC every month and I've been looking for car shows on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday but haven't found any shows or cruise nights. Can anyone tell me if any are available, Mustangs or others/classics? (Sorry to hijack the thread!)

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
You weren't looking very hard. There are lot's of s550s in the DC area.

We regularly go to lot's of GTG's and events.

The below pic is not even 10% of the cars around here.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
In the Clarendon area there are a few black ones, a few magnetics and a few oxford and a competition orange and triple yellow.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You weren't looking very hard. There are lot's of s550s in the DC area.
Actually, I wasn't driving so looking was ALL I was doing. They weren't there. And if that pic is supposed to represent close to 10% of the S550's in DC, seems like you're proving my point....not many in the grand scheme of things. I could line the Porsche's I saw on an hourly bases and make a similar picture.

Now if I hadn't seen the Camaro's, the earlier post about higher end cars being more popular in certain areas down there would have explained things.

-Emt1581
Sponsored