Sponsored

GT350R as daily driver

teamsketch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R
I know this has probably been discussed a lot but I couldn't find much while searching. Was in the market for a regular GT350 but came across a really good deal on an R. Was thinking about taking the plunge, but was going to use this car for daily driving. How many people are DD'ing an R? Any issues with noise, harshness or other problems? Will it still wake the dead with the exhaust in quiet mode?

Also a little paranoid about the carbon fiber wheels. I will be tracking this car but was wondering, are people preferring to use the CF wheels on the street or on the track? On my past cars, my track wheels get a fair amount of abuse, so was thinking about using the CF wheels only for the street.

Finally, is anyone running regular Michelin Super Sports on the CF rims? I am in a very wet environment and could not really use the cups on a regular basis.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Hell, I won't even use my GT as a DD.. LOL

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Depending on how much money I have. I mean if I am a millionaire, I would be DDing a Ferrari for sure.
Most of your concern is not really a concern though.

Sponsored

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
I would daily drive an R but I would run aftermarket or standard 350 wheels with different runner. Save the carbon and cup 2's for track days.

OP
OP

teamsketch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R
I would daily drive an R but I would run aftermarket or standard 350 wheels with different runner. Save the carbon and cup 2's for track days.
Yeah, if I curbed one of the CF wheels, I think I would lose it.

Is anyone running NT01's for track days? Really liked these on my Boss. Looks like there is a 305/30/19 fitment.

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
Despite the R rarity, it is a bargain for what you get compared to other cars, so wouldn't feel so bad about inevitable wear and tear issues or God forbid something happens at the track. Fixing a Porsche or Ferrari is a much more expensive proposition. As far as the wheels, the reason I like them so much is because I intend to track the car (plus covered under track day insurance), but I would have no issues as far as the street, just have to be careful. For Michelin PSC2s, have run them on my other vehicle as a daily and they're actually decent in the wet, they just don't do that well in standing water. They're actually ok for wet track use and better than other R comp options. I kept them on my M3 as a DD plus track car precisely because I didn't want to keep swapping. Though some are saying the compound is more aggressive on the GT350R spec vs other specs so wear and wet handling may not be as good.

RR350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
H2043 / HR650
I know this has probably been discussed a lot but I couldn't find much while searching. Was in the market for a regular GT350 but came across a really good deal on an R. Was thinking about taking the plunge, but was going to use this car for daily driving. How many people are DD'ing an R? Any issues with noise, harshness or other problems? Will it still wake the dead with the exhaust in quiet mode?

Also a little paranoid about the carbon fiber wheels. I will be tracking this car but was wondering, are people preferring to use the CF wheels on the street or on the track? On my past cars, my track wheels get a fair amount of abuse, so was thinking about using the CF wheels only for the street.

Finally, is anyone running regular Michelin Super Sports on the CF rims? I am in a very wet environment and could not really use the cups on a regular basis.

Thanks in advance.
I can answer your question, kind of. I have a 17' 350, and my pops has 15' GTR on CarbonRev wheels. We both daily our cars. As far as the 350 being a good daily, I can't think of a better car to hop in every single day, and drive. I've loved every single mile I put on it. It's fun, handles amazing, rides very nice on the streets and highway. Only issue I had with 'noise' was the NVH in the shifter, but the MGW unit got rid of that. Oh, and the occasional rattle in the dash that comes and goes. The exhaust in quite mode isn't waking up anyone, its civil, but when you hit the switch everything changes. The car can be harsh if you are on really shitty roads (Oklahoma:frusty: ) But most of the time it rides very, very nice for a car of this caliber IMO. Other than that, the only problem I can think of it when it comes to DDing the 350, is hopping in and out of the Recaro seats, i'm 5'11 @ 150 lbs. Not a big guy by any means, it gets annoying at times. Now, with the carbon wheels. Yes, you can run regular Super sports on the CF rims, and that is what CarbonRev recommended we use once we told them we would be Daily driving the GTR. My dad loves the CF wheels on the street, he could tell a huge difference in steering response and all around handling. Now he can't imagine his car without them. I don't think You will have a problem with the Carbon wheels unless you find a curb, or a curb finds you.

Sponsored

Etchhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
Go for it! I plan on splitting duty with my truck and will even be getting the rear seat kit for hauling kiddos to school then dropping bar/seat/fire in when time for track.

AGGT350

AG Tech Black OTT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AG2016
I DD my VUDU52, i already have over 10k on her in 10 months. I would daily the R too but the only thing i would change is the CF wheels but I would only change it to the non GT350 wheels. I just like the way the rims go with the stance of the VUDU.
Disclaimer when i say DD, VUDU52 4x per week and the Scion IQ aka BUHU52 the other days
Also, can you disclose a "really good deal" :D:D:D

Mr. Adair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT3

Thanks in advance.
Really depends on what you are used to. Personally I daily drive my R with NO issues. It's actually even a tad easier to deal with than my last car which was a 991 GT3. The upright seating position and height makes it easier to get in and out of than the Porsche as well. Don't take this the wrong way, it's an expensive car but it's not a 230K GT3RS. Drive the thing like you stole it and enjoy :thumbsup:

fuhrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Focus RS, Raptor
Really depends on what you are used to. Personally I daily drive my R with NO issues. It's actually even a tad easier to deal with than my last car which was a 991 GT3. The upright seating position and height makes it easier to get in and out of than the Porsche as well. Don't take this the wrong way, it's an expensive car but it's not a 230K GT3RS. Drive the thing like you stole it and enjoy :thumbsup:
this forum is funny. ask a question about dd'ing an R and you get 10 responses from people who don't have R's...

Thank Mr Adair for his input...I'll just second that with a slightly different perspective. I dd mine and I love it...though, obviously, clearance on driveway entrances is an issue and be prepared to have people video'ing you all the time. The different perspective from me is: it's the most expensive car I've ever owned (so I don't see it as a 'cheap' anything) but there's no way I'd spend the money on the car if I weren't going to wring it out every chance I get.

oldmachguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
My R is due July 1st. Hell yeah, I'm going to DD it - though I'm seriously considering getting some street wheels, w/ PS4's. Just do it.:thumbsup:
Sponsored